SUMMARY: Coming & Going Retail, Restaurants, Businesses

83,618 Views | 593 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by jh88ag
TLIAC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AG RUSH - I heard the same thing and from someone who has access to data that I don't. I was also told that the center would have a Burlington Coat Factory store.
Scotch
AG
Not really in the shopping area of most here, but there will be an O'Reilly Auto Parts on N. Texas Ave. about a block south of Hwy. 21 and a Burger King on Hwy. 21 about a block west of the McDonald's. Both are already under construction, the BK nearly complete.
aggiewholikestorun
Goody's is closing.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/19664739.html

Privately-owned Goody’s Family Clothing announced Monday it plans to close its stores in Temple, Killeen and College Station as part of a nationwide effort to turn the struggling chain around.

The retailer, which operates primarily in the Southeast, is filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and said it will close a total of 69 stores as well as a distribution center in Arkansas.
txdragonfly
AG
Apparently I fail. BK and Goody's are listed.
Nom de Plume
AG
This is the greatest thread ever stolen from another poster.
Aggielawdawg
zzzZZZzzzZ.....hooters.....zzzzzZZzzz

Just day dreaming.

[This message has been edited by Aggielawdawg (edited 6/9/2008 10:28p).]
Scotch
AG
didn't notice the BK listed, fly, it wasn't in bold.
Jabberwocky
AG
I propose we grant fly immunity to failure in this thread, in recognition of the amount of work she's put into maintaining it!
txdragonfly
AG
Hey now! It wasn't bolded, because it's old news. Bolded indicates what got added or updated during the last edit.
bcstx06
Is the Bryan Best Western still going up? Nothing has happened to that site in months now?
Expert Analysis
AG
The best western is still on the sign for the development. they just complete the road a week or so ago that connects the NB frontage road to boonville at austins colony parkway. the road has curbs the whole way along it so entrances and exits for anything haven't been planed yet. the land is all ready for development to begin...
Jabberwocky
AG
Observations from this morning:

1) The park bounded by Main St., 29th, 28th, and the train tracks is progressing nicely. It looks like construction is almost finished, which I think just leaves landscaping. (I swear there was a press release and/or news article about this fairly recently, but I can't find it now.)

2) The old Trucks Unlimited building on the southeast corner of Main at 29th is being remodeled (has been for a while). Looks like it's starting to near completion; sign says "space for lease available _____ 2008" (I didn't get a very good look as I was driving past).

3) A large steel-framed building is being erected on the formerly empty wedge of land between Groesbeck and Finfeather. The sign on the property still says "for sale by owner, will build to suit."

4) Circle D Nurseries, LLC (I think that was the name—this was over 14 hours ago, so cut me some slack) is building on Finfeather, just south of Dodge I think. Fairly small lot and it looked like most of it was going toward parking. There was a phone number on the sign but I didn't catch it.
localag01
Cortiers Luxury Realty is moving into their new building at 318 N Bryan Ave, in Downtown Bryan. www.Cortiers.com
aught2ag
The park on Main is being built by the City of Bryan as a gateway to downtown.
979TeXaN
quote:
1) The park bounded by Main St., 29th, 28th, and the train tracks is progressing nicely. It looks like construction is almost finished, which I think just leaves landscaping. (I swear there was a press release and/or news article about this fairly recently, but I can't find it now.)
Bryan to create park by railroad

By APRIL AVISON
Eagle Staff Writer

A historic replica of a train depot with a water feature and park benches is planned for downtown Bryan, city officials announced Tuesday.

The City Council awarded a $246,000 contract to Dudley Construction to build "Gateway Park" between 28th and 29th streets near the Union Pacific Railroad tracks. The concept for the park, as determined in the city's downtown master plan, is to create a structure similar to a railroad plaza that once stood at the same location.

The park will be "a cornerstone and entryway into downtown," Public Works Director Linda Huff said Tuesday.

The first phase is set to begin immediately and will include a circle pathway, a brick wall, benches, landscaping and a feature with 4-foot-tall lighted water jets. Future phases of the project will include a covered plaza area that can serve as a meeting facility, adjacent to public rest rooms.

"It's not the kind of park with playground equipment, but one of those urban sit-down areas where you can sit on a bench and have lunch," said City Engineer Paul Kaspar.

The city bought the site, which is less than an acre, from Union Pacific Railroad for about $23,000 last year, Kaspar said.

Area resident Stephanie Sale Singleton approached the city last year about using grants from her mother's estate for a beautification project in the downtown area. The construction contract awarded Tuesday will be paid for with funds from the Gloria Sale Trust.

Singleton attended Tuesday's council meeting to see architect Mark Ferguson's rendering of the plans for Gateway Park. The final design was based on a compilation of ideas produced by Texas A&M landscape architecture students, city officials said.

"She would have loved it," Singleton said of her late mother. "Both my parents would have loved seeing downtown revitalized."

The Sales were longtime Bryan residents and former owners of the Bryan Coca-Cola Bottling Co.

Kaspar said city officials hope to have the first phase of the project complete in time for the downtown Texas Reds Steak and Grape Festival on June 20.

"I'm skeptical because it gets rainy this time of year, but it should be well in progress by then," he said.

In other matters Tuesday, the City Council:

• Heard an update from City Manager David Watkins on the status of mold in Fire Station No. 3 on Briarcrest Drive. The 30-year-old facility may be remodeled or expanded, Watkins said. He added that he's directing staff to develop a report that will go before council members at a later date, so they can make a decision on the future of the building.

• Toured capital improvement projects and new business investments throughout the city.
Jabberwocky
AG
Thanks 979, that's the article I was thinking of.
zuzu
AG
Gateway Park - College of Architecture's involvement. I drive by here everyday, I'm looking forward to seeing this in completion!

http://archone.tamu.edu/college/news/newsletters/spring2008/stories/gatewayPark.html
short1
Phase 1 of Gateway Park should be completed soon. That includes landscaping and walkways. There will still be a splash pad added as well as a pavilion that is supposed to mimic the old train depot that used to be on the same site. The pavilion may not be completed until next year.
Scotch
AG
I could see a water feature, but I thought the purpose of the park was for lunchtime use by businessmen in the area, more of a sitting park, as oposed to creating an attractive nuisance for area children.
PseudonymK
AG
As I was driving back into town I saw the building/renovation of the Hearne Train Depot....does anyone have info on what they are doing there? Just curious.
txdragonfly
AG
scotch, read the article 979 posted. It is what you thought.
slyk
Ambrose Furniture Works/Accent Fabrics is moving into the old Hogans Trucks Unlimited bldg at Main/29th.
short1
At Gateway Park the water feature will a combination fountain/splash pad. It won't just be a pretty fountain, it is also meant to be able to be played in.
Sling Blade
AG
Rumor is The Library on Northgate is shutting down and being taken over by a bank. Can anyone confirm this?
guitjon
I have heard the Library already closed, and yes, I heard a bank is taking the building over.
Jabberwocky
AG
"Taking the building over" as in setting up shop, or as in repossessing it?
Scotch
AG
Three locations of Snap Fitness will be coming to B-CS, the Bryan location is actually already open.
http://www.snapfitness.com/bryantx/

Copperfield and Boonville(open)
Longmire and 2818
Rock Prairie and Wellborn.
guitjon
Heard the bank bought it
dbdsnoppy07
I was told that Logan's is not coming to town. He was told by someone at Logan's
Expert Analysis
AG
from the first page
quote:
Walgreen's is rumored to be buying the current Longhorn Tavern property at Hwy 21 and Texas Ave; LT could build a new location next to Cotton Patch by Premier Cinemas on Hwy 6 {rcj0618} Plans in place for move as well as additional Walgreen's at Boonville Rd {bcstx06}

Walgreens was added to a new sign for the Boonville town center development, the Best Western was on the sign as well. The Walgreens will be on the corner with Boonville road.
kraut
AG
quote:
Walgreens was added to a new sign for the Boonville town center development, the Best Western was on the sign as well. The Walgreens will be on the corner with Boonville road.

Does that mean there will be a CVS built across from it also?
bcstx06
I think Rite Aid Pharmacy's might be entering the Texas/Bryan/College Station market. I have been hearing a lot of their commercials in heavy rotation on the radio. Why else would that play their commercials on local radio?

[This message has been edited by bcstx06 (edited 6/23/2008 11:11p).]
Scotch
AG
Covenant Family Church will be opening another location next to Brazos Bingo at 29th St. and Briarcrest.

They actually announced this on their website March 1st:
http://covenantfamily.com/news/index.html?article_id=2

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 6/24/2008 11:10p).]
FortySomethingAg
Well, with effective marketing they should be able to find enough people to give 1/10th of their incomes (a tithe) to turn a profit at a second location.

I wonder if Danny will be shuttled by helicopter from one location to the other? Ed Young set this trend in Houston.
1984Consol
Rite Aid Pharmacy has bought out Eckerd Pharmacy- at least here in TN anyway. All of the Eckerd Pharmacies here are now Rite Aid. If they have taken over all Eckerd Pharmacies around the country, then the ones there in BCS will also become Rite Aid Pharmacies soon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.