SUMMARY: Coming & Going Retail, Restaurants, Businesses

83,674 Views | 593 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by jh88ag
AgPup80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The area by McCoy's is the road extension from Austin's Colony to the bypass access road, I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
guitjon
Yes, it is an extension of the street, as well as development consisting of retail, resturaunts, and a motel.
slyk
Drove by the Bounce last weekend (16th) to check the status and it was empty--that is no blow ups or other play things visible. Just bare walls. If they are opening this week I hope they got the hustle on...It would be nice though.
Kitten With A Whip
Thanks, AgPup! =]

Any idea what type of retail, restaurants and Motels? Seems like that might be an interesting area to watch.
AgDotCom
quote:
the city of Bryan & College Station DOES NOT require anyone to change their colors.

Generally, but not exactly true.

Some design districts such as the Wolf Pen Creek and University Drive overlays do to effect "more visually appealing color" (whatever that is) in that area. For instance the sign at the Sonic Drive In on Harvey Road sports more earthy tones and the building has green neon lights, not the typical trade dress of a Sonic.

Color changes are not elicited by rival sports teams as urban legend would have it.

By the way there is an approved color pallette in C.S. for non-residential development.
1984Consol
Is there still a Der Weinerschitzel in the paring lot of the walmart/albertsons area on Brothers Blvd?
AggiePhil
AG
quote:
Is there still a Der Weinerschitzel in the paring lot of the walmart/albertsons area on Brothers Blvd?

No, that Wienerschnitzel closed its doors in 2003 and after a short while became a Church's Chicken. I was sad to see it go--they've got great corn dogs and chili cheese dogs.
OTSmith
I was a big fan of the DeLuxe Diner right by the RR tracks on Univ. When they closed, the nice lady owner said they would be re-opening something different in the old Beetle's BBQ on Wm Joel Bryan. It's right behind the courthouse I think. Anyway, I've seen lots of construction going on there for a bit. I'm hoping they will re-open and serve their good breakfasts.

Anyone know anything about this?
guitjon
quote:
Generally, but not exactly true.

Some design districts such as the Wolf Pen Creek and University Drive overlays do to effect "more visually appealing color" (whatever that is) in that area. For instance the sign at the Sonic Drive In on Harvey Road sports more earthy tones and the building has green neon lights, not the typical trade dress of a Sonic.

Color changes are not elicited by rival sports teams as urban legend would have it.

By the way there is an approved color pallette in C.S. for non-residential development.

Kinda like when Joe's Crab Shack decided to come in and build across from the Hilton. They started the groundwork and THEN got denied because of their delapidated looking exterior decor.

Why can't they just pull their head out and let businesses do what they do sometimes?
1984Consol
Geez Wienershnitzel is gone, Delux Burger Bar is gone, next I bet the old A Fram IHOP will dissapear
shevy
AG
OTS, A co-worker of mine spoke with the lady who used to run the Deluxe a few weeks ago. She said they are finally working on Beetles to open there.
AgInAggieland
Drove down WmJB today to Downtown. Wow, they are doing some major taking apart at Beetles. Good for them. Wish them luck!!
OTSmith
Great news!!! I've been watching the deconstruction... can't wait until it opens. I think the place was in pretty bad shape, so it doesn't surprise me that they are doing all that work.
george07
AG
1984consol, there is still a Wienershnitzel on Texas near downtown Bryan
jkhughes95
Yay! The Deluxe is coming back! Also, ditto on the Bryan Weinerschnitzel. I always thought the Bryan one was better anyways.
fergieferg
Any idea what restaurants or other businesses are going to be built close to Greens Prairie/Hwy 40 exit? (the water tower side)
I've seen signs that have this web address, but it doesn't work. www.towerpoint.us (or I may have looked at the address wrong)

I know lots have things have been rumored to go there, but was thinking something had been decided since those signs have been put up.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
Kinda like when Joe's Crab Shack decided to come in and build across from the Hilton. They started the groundwork and THEN got denied because of their delapidated looking exterior decor.

Why can't they just pull their head out and let businesses do what they do sometimes?

What EXACTLY are you basing YOUR "information" on? I ask, because when I spoke to the people in the building department, they were all disappointed. JCS had applied for and RECIEVED a building permit, then the corporate office pulled back expansions into several cities, College Station included. Now, having worked with most of those people for over 7 years, I tend to trust their info, more than some random person on the internet spouting off rumor without naming their sources, but thats just me.
aggieord00
I heard a new biotech/pharmaceutical company from Austin is moving in above the Subway in downtown Bryan.
jlhrealtor
The Bounce is open and if you have kids take them! We took ours today and they had a blast for just $6 each...Plus they went straight to nap when we got home which, as you know, is priceless.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Any idea what restaurants or other businesses are going to be built close to Greens Prairie/Hwy 40 exit? (the water tower side)
I've seen signs that have this web address, but it doesn't work. www.towerpoint.us (or I may have looked at the address wrong)

I know lots have things have been rumored to go there, but was thinking something had been decided since those signs have been put up.

Here is the website for the project.

http://www.weinerdevelopment.com/project.html?sku=10996738586100

The last I heard about it, they don't have any major anchors lined up and all of the smaller tenants (including me) have passed on the project for now. While there is a lot of growth out there, it is still a very green area and with a lot of retailers slowing down expansion plans with concern over an impending economic slowdown, I don't think anything is going to happen there for a while.

A couple of months ago I heard that HEB was supposedly looking at the site (per the developer) but HEB people were saying that the don't plan on opening any more stores in CS for a while. HEB is real funny about playing their cards close to their chest though.

For what it's worth, I think the Bryan Towne Center is struggling for tenants as well. I killed my deal there but I have a call into the LL to see how leasing is going.
fergieferg
ChipFTAC01--thanks for the info...what kind of business do you have?
guitjon
quote:
What EXACTLY are you basing YOUR "information" on? I ask, because when I spoke to the people in the building department, they were all disappointed. JCS had applied for and RECIEVED a building permit, then the corporate office pulled back expansions into several cities, College Station included. Now, having worked with most of those people for over 7 years, I tend to trust their info, more than some random person on the internet spouting off rumor without naming their sources, but thats just me.

Well, being that this was few years ago, I do not really recall where I got that information. I didn't know I was going to have to defend myself with such information either. If MY information was wrong, then it, as well as myself, was wrong. This is EXACTLY where I am coming from.

In addition, I'm not just some "random...spouting off". Look back at the last 6+ pages and you can see that I am not the only person using "I heard..." in their posts. Why are they not being asked to defend their sources?

I realize that I am a relatively new poster on here, but don't chastise me because I am not a regular. I have been reading these boards for quite some time, but just chose to start posting as of late. I realize that I could be wrong, and am more than happy to admit it when that occurs.

With that said, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
txdragonfly
AG
Guit, color schemes are one of the most widely misunderstood concepts in the UDO and most often misquoted.

edit: me fail english? that's unpossible!

[This message has been edited by txdragonfly (edited 12/31/2007 6:40p).]
aggiegal99
guit-
chill out.
rcj0618
Looks like the Williams Lube King shops on Briarcrest and Southwest Pkwy have both closed down.
guitjon
I'm not mad or anything at all. I was asked to defend myself so I did. I admitted that if my information was wrong, then that made me wrong as well. I took the post toward me as having a condescending tone when I read it. If it wasn't meant to be, then again I'm wrong.

That said, I did add the rant about being asked to reveal where I was coming from while others were not. If me using logic in defending myself is out of line, then I'm just dumbfounded.
GoneGirl
AG
You stated information as fact, then you maligned some folks whom I happen to know personally.
quote:

Yet you obviously didn't know that what you were talking about. It wasn't just a "well I heard this place was coming in here" type thing. You didn't have a problem being offensive towards some nameless or faceless "they".

quote:
They started the groundwork and THEN got denied because of their delapidated looking exterior decor.

It REALLY just doesn't work this way.

[This message has been edited by TxElsie (edited 1/1/2008 2:21p).]
Nom de Plume
AG
quote:
A couple of months ago I heard that HEB was supposedly looking at the site (per the developer) but HEB people were saying that the don't plan on opening any more stores in CS for a while. HEB is real funny about playing their cards close to their chest though.

They are still looking at several sites in south CS. No real timeline, yet. As soon as I know something for sure and can share it, I will.
guitjon
Well, again, I am sorry I was wrong, as was my information. Maybe I shot out of the cannon a little too fast. Wasn't trying to start anything by defending myself.
LocalAg95
I'm sorry if it's already been said, and I'll admit I'm too lazy to read through all six pages of this. But does anyone know when the Chick Fil A at Culpepper (or whatever it is now) is suppose to open?
txdragonfly
AG
You could just read the first post.
Nom de Plume
AG
Red Lobster is set to open Jan. 26th or 28th per sign out front yesterday. I couldn't quite tell as I drove by.
txdragonfly
AG
Updates posted
ChipFTAC01
AG
Talked with the leasing agent for Bryan Towne Center right now. It looks like they don’t have any of their junior anchors deals done and they aren’t (from what I can tell) making any real progress. I think I had mentioned Best Buy, Books a Million, Dicks or Sports Authority and Office Depot. They are hopeful that once they get one several will fall into place as the project gains some critical mass. From talking with her it sounds like Dicks was the key for a couple of other big tenants. Unfortunately, Dicks has put the entire Houston market (which includes BCS) on hold for the time being. It looks like they are still going to shortly be able to make a Ross or TJ Maxx deal.

With regards to smaller tenants, I was walking the dog when she called me and I didn’t get to take any notes, but I remember she said they had a Citibank deal, Maurice’s and I think a Rack Room deal done. Maybe the Rue 21 that I mentioned a couple of pages ago.

Based on conversations I’ve had with other people, there won’t be a Starbucks there in the near future.

Fergie – I work for a large national retailer but due to certain non-disclosure documents I’ve signed I’d rather not post on the internet who. I can’t even really tell you what type of business as we really don’t have much competition. I’m responsible for our site selection for most of Texas.

Txdragonfly – You need to update your section on Lowe’s. Apparently they are going on the opposite corner at Greens Prairie and Hwy 6. That’s not my info but someone else posted it a couple of pages back. In addition I think you can remove WalMart from 6 & Greens Prairie as well.
aggiewholikestorun
quote:
I work for a large national retailer but due to certain non-disclosure documents I’ve signed I’d rather not post on the internet who. I can’t even really tell you what type of business as we really don’t have much competition.

Fredrick's of Hollywood?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.