SUMMARY: Coming & Going Retail, Restaurants, Businesses

83,635 Views | 593 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by jh88ag
bco2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All the Eckerd's here were bought out by CVS some years ago.
txdragonfly
AG
Info for Consol and bco...

1996: J.C. Penney and Eckerd agreed to merge; all of JCPenney's Thrift Drug unit of drug stores (comprised of Thrift Drug, Kerr Drugs, Fay's Drugs, and some Rite Aid stores) were rebranded to the larger Eckerd name. Eckerds was owned by JCPenney from 1997 to 2004.

July 2004: JC Penney sold eastern seaboard Eckerd stores to the Jean Coutu Group and merged with Brooks Pharmacy (though the Eckerd brand persisted in many areas). Southeastern and southwestern stores were sold to CVS.

August 2006: Wall Street Journal reported that Rite Aid would acquire 1,858 Eckerd Pharmacy and Brooks Pharmacy US stores from the Jean Coutu Group.

2007: Rite Aid deal completed in June, all remaining Eckerd stores converted to Rite Aid by September.

Summary, Texas stores turned into CVS four years ago. East coast stores either turned to Brooks Pharmacy four years ago or turned in to Rite Aid two years ago.
Jabberwocky
AG
quote:
Southeastern and southwestern stores were sold to CVS.
Couldn't you (or the source you were quoting) simply have said "southern"?

Anti-Southern regionalism.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Country Inn & Suites Coming in Across from Allen Honda on SW Parkway next to Brenham Bank.
9dag
aggiewholikestorun
Saw a sign for something called "The Texas Store" in the plaza on University with Circuit City and Petsmart.
rumrunner0?
toured that german restaurant/irish pub in downtown bryan today on main street. it is HUGE (capacity expected at 750) and VERY nice. the owner said they are looking to open in 10 days....looks more like three weeks to me. its called Murphy's Law. i cant wait to try it out.

my only question is where are all those people going to park in downtown bryan?

[This message has been edited by rumrunner0? (edited 7/20/2008 4:39a).]
GigEmAggies06
AG
I noticed all of the trees in the lot at the corner of Old College and Wellborn (next to Reveille Ranch) have been cut down. I guess it's not a given that something is going up there anytime soon because the small corner lot across the street has been cleared for some time, but I was just wondering if anybody had heard anything about what might be going up there. I always thought that would be a great place to add another apartment complex given its proximity to campus.
1984Consol
Murphy's Law- whatever can go wrong, will.

I hope they haven't jinxed themselves by calling it that.
Max06
AG
Anyone heard anything about the southern food place next to Cutler Square in the Lack's shopping center?
Scotch
AG
The corner of Old College and Wellborn will be a 300+ unit apartment complex called The Cabana of Bryan, or at least that is what was filed with the city some months back.

I actually mentioned this in a post on May 31st .
AggiePhil
AG
Jimmy John's will be opening a second location in the old Egg Roll House building on University. Supposedly going to open sometime around Fall of this year. Word is that it will have a drive-thru and will stay open until 3:00 AM.
beetlebum
What?
No more egg roll house? It's iconic.
This is shocking...I mean this is great.
aggieann
AG
quote:
Anyone heard anything about the southern food place next to Cutler Square in the Lack's shopping center?

It's called Southern Comfort and owned by Mike Cornelius, who has lots of experience as a chef/manager. I heard second-hand that it's supposed to open tomorrow (Friday).
Jabberwocky
AG
quote:
Word is that it will have a drive-thru and will stay open until 3:00 AM.
This is good news to an insomniac like me.

For a college town, there sure aren't many 24-hour joints around here.
CS Dude
Lots of new businesses...a good thing!

[This message has been edited by CS Dude (edited 7/25/2008 8:29a).]
still in CS
quote:
Jimmy John's will be opening a second location in the old Egg Roll House building on University. Supposedly going to open sometime around Fall of this year. Word is that it will have a drive-thru and will stay open until 3:00 AM.
Ag2Max
AG
Anything in the old Egg Roll House location will be an improvement. That eyesore has needed attention for years. Glad to see something is finally happening to it. Now if it would have just been a Hooter's.........
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i fail to see the greatness of jimmy johns. maybe i'm just blind.
RayRay99
AG
Here is what I have heard through the grapevine recently:

Hooters is still supposed to go in at Teriyaki Park by Pyro.

Wings N More in Bryan is closing the gas station restaurant and building a stand alone store on SH 21 by the new Burger King.

A new restaurant will take over the Wings N More spot at the gas station, possibly a Chicken Express.

Subway in Downtown Bryan may be forced out by the new owners of their building.

Cracker Barrel is scouting locations near Target, but it is preliminary so far.

Longhorn Tavern may not be moving next to Premiere. Walgreens may let them stay there and build on the land next to the restaurant.

The HEB at Texas/SH 21 is supposed to be getting remodeled.

Another Burger King is supposed to go up at Texas/29th where the old Greyhound and Texas Ave. Medical Clinic are.

And why isn't this thread stickied?

[This message has been edited by RayRay99 (edited 7/27/2008 1:26p).]
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
does this town really need another BK?
Tanya 93
yes, I can get drive thru veggie burgers
Scotch
AG
The Burger King may or may not not be needed, but the old bus station and clinic need to be torn down, so for that reason alone the BK is good news.
1984Consol
Did you all get a new greyhound bus station? The old one on Texas and Walton drive was really really small and dirty...
superspeck
Consol, only one I know if is up Finfeather. Wasn't even aware there was one on Texas Ave.
txdragonfly
AG
The one referenced above was on Texas just south of Wm J. I don't recall when it became the clinic, but I know that it was still the bus station around '94.
1984Consol
Oh ok- the only bus station I knew of for the two cities was at Texas and Walton, right across from campus.

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 7/27/2008 9:39p).]
Scotch
AG
I don't really remember one on Walton either, but then again, never had a reason to go there. The old bus station that BK will replace was on 29th and Texas and there was an AM/PM Clinic beside it on Texas.
RayRay99
AG
Correct, the old bus station is directly across from (the soon to be old) Bryan PD at 29th/Texas. The clinic is next door to the old bus station. Greyhound opened a new bus station on Finfeather near the Animal Shelter a couple of years ago, and the old one has been abandoned since.
txdragonfly
AG
Updated.
rcj0618
Before it was a bus station, that building at 29th and Texas housed a U-Tote-M convenience store. They were all over the place in the 60s and 70s. Only place you could get an ICEE back then.

[This message has been edited by rcj0618 (edited 7/28/2008 10:54a).]
95_Aggie
AG
Wasn't Hornbeck's originally a bus station way back in the past? Or was it Acme Glass?

Maybe fossil_ag knows ...
Sunfish2008
I think it was the Acme Glass
aggiewholikestorun
Just to make it official. Bennigan's is closed.
1984Consol
Bummer. My mom loved their salads. So big she had the rest for breakfast AND lunch the next day

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.