SUMMARY: Coming & Going Retail, Restaurants, Businesses

83,629 Views | 593 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by jh88ag
txdragonfly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought about doing a search and replace for you
Jabberwocky
AG
The remodeled building at 29th and Main looks very nearly complete. New Art Deco-style sign (metal letters standing atop the edge of the roof—not the most readable, but a nice match to the overall design of the building) reads "BRAZOS DECORATIVE CENTER", and there are signs up advertising "cafe space available"—so if anyone wants to give the La Salle some competition in the downtown coffee shop market, here's your chance!
Nom de Plume
AG
quote:
Wingstop near Rock P! Looking forward to this one!

I looked more closely at the 400 signs they've posted and it actually says "Wing Street" coming soon.

I'm sure these wings are TOTALLY different than the other 31 choices we have in BCS.
NFLFAN
AG
damn it. my wing is the only wing good enough for Troy Aikman. where are these signs that are posted?
txdragonfly
AG
In front of the little u-shaped center to the south of the one with Culligan, but north of HoJo.
NFLFAN
AG
so what's the deal with the center being built off of WDF 40, kind of across from Castlegate? anyone know what's going up in there?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Wal*Mart is not going in to the Towerpointe project. They pulled out some time ago, I'd bet almost a year ago.

Lowe's has pulled out of the project as well.

The whole project I think is on hold indefinitely. They are saying they are going to start construction this winter on their, but for your sake, I hope they aren't. There's just going to be a big empty shopping center sitting out there dragging down property values.
kraut
AG
Wow, what's going to happen with towerpointe?

The city has invested a lot of money by building that road for them, only to have St. Joseph, Lowes and Wal*Mart walk away....
95_Aggie
AG
So then what's with all the rumors about HEB at 40/6?
geler
is steve and barry's really closing? i love their t-shirts
lockett93
AG
yes it's closing, better hurry and go buy some, and many in Houston are not closing. Funny I saw a TV show where their employess were saying if the'd only charge 9.99 instead of 9.98 they'd make $2M a year. Mr Steve and Mr. Barry's response was they were trying to get it to 9.97 not raise it. I guess they should have listened to their employees.
ro828
We'd just be happy with a real grocery store or a Wal-Mart on 2818 north of Villa Maria. Nothing big or fancy, just something west of Texas Avenue. Now that the construction on Villa Maria is done (the best money the city ever spent, imho) it would be good to see some development out that way.
FortySomethingAg
I predict it will be many years before a grocery store is built west of Texas Ave.
rcj0618
Easy prediction. What's many years? two? five? twenty?

I predict that someday there will be a grocery store out that way.
jrhmc
AG
Wing Street is a Yum brand fast food chain. Same company as Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell, Long John Silvers, and A&W. Haven't had the wings but my husband was on contract with the main company for about 6 months and said they're ok.
1984Consol
Wing Street is just Pizza Hut's wings. It's not actually a restaurant- it just seems to be a gimmick by pizza hut to make you think it is another restaurant. At least here all the Pizza Hut's have "Wing Street". there never was a stand alone store.

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 9/5/2008 8:18p).]
txdragonfly
AG
It is fairly common to find Yum! Brand restaurants in dual-stores. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are the same thing. It's just smart marketing to put complimentary businesses side by side. Sometimes WingStreet is co-located with Pizza Hut and sometimes it's free-standing. The other brands in the family include KFC, A&W, Taco Bell, and Long John Silver's.
Nom de Plume
AG
Yep, saw a delivery guy tonight with a magnetic sign on his car that was half PH and half WS.
2005 National Champs
Man, a new Wing Stop would have been awesome. I love their wings but don't like getting served food by someone with prison tattoos.
1984Consol
I have never seen a free standing wing street. If you have I would like to see a pic and also to know where it is. As far as I know, Wing Street was "created" by Pizza Hut as strictly a marketing ploy. Even the Pizza Hut commercials here end with ".. and don't forget the wing street wings, delivered by Pizza Hut."

In all honesty, I think wing street was created just so it wouldn't appear that Pizza Hut was a single restaurant- as all the others are paired. Here, A and W is paired with LJS in the same building, and Taco bell is paired with Pizza Hut Express (which by the way, only sells 3 premade types of personal pan pizza and one side of 3 breadstix- thats IT.) So they had to pair the actual Pizza Hut restaurant with something. Since Pizza hut already makes wings, they decided to create a "restaurant" that sells the wings. Not a bad idea, but it's only a gimmick. There really is no wing street restaurant. (At least not here in TN)

If KFC is a Yum! brand, they have not paired those restaurants here with anything...yet.

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 9/5/2008 9:44p).]
FortySomethingAg
quote:
Easy prediction. What's many years? two? five? twenty?
No idea. 20 years? The idiots at Albertsons could decide tomorrow to plant a store at the corner of 2818 and Villa Maria.

Everyone on the west side now has quicker access to HEB Tejas Center due to the underpass at Finfeather. It will be a long time.
ro828
Some time back there were rumors of a Wal-Mart to go at the corner of 2818 and Leonard. Sure would be nice.

And sure would have a lot of business.
FortySomethingAg
quote:
Some time back there were rumors of a Wal-Mart to go at the corner of 2818 and Leonard.

I will bet my life that this will not happen until I am an octogenerian. (This will occur in 2040. )

[This message has been edited by FortySomethingAg (edited 9/6/2008 12:13a).]
txdragonfly
AG
No picture to post. WingStreet was created to sell wings in conjunction with PizzaHut; just like Yum acquired Pasta Bravo to try and rebrand PH as more of an italian bistro instead of just carryout/delivery pizza.

Sorry, my teleportation powers don't seem to be working at the moment. It's amazing what's out there in the world beyond our own city limits. I've seen KFC co-located with A&W in rural Illinois and San Jose, California. Similarly, I've seen stand along WingStreets in Chicago.
Jabberwocky
AG
quote:
The idiots at Albertsons could decide tomorrow to plant a store at the corner of 2818 and Villa Maria.
Right, because the existing three supermarkets along FM 1179 just aren't enough!

Granted, a store at 2818 would be farther from the existing stores than any of them are from each other. But it's always seemed a little odd to me that the three of them are so close together along the same road (and all on the south side of the street, even!).
jasonarredondo
Saw a sign that Remax is moving next to Veterans Park on University Drive.
rcj0618
Oxford Street in Bryan is closed as of today.
txgardengirl
That's terrible - we love Oxford for lunch and it's great for holidays
skeetboy3
AG
Took my wife to Oxford Street on our 1st date. Hate to see it go.
txdragonfly
AG
I loved Oxford Street for office lunches. How sad!

I did notice an Anna's Linens opening next to Dollar Tree in the old Culpepper.

I'll update the master list later this week.
aggietoolman
AG
I can't believe Oxford Street is closed. That was the first restaurant that I ate at when I came to BCS so many years ago. They had some of the best steaks.
jrhmc
AG
Great! I love Anna's Linens!
wapa
Noooo...not Oxford Street.
SV
Any updates on Tower Point, Lowes, HEB or Walmart developments on the southside?
Jabberwocky
AG
SV, check the sequel thread.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.