Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Mission to light the letters!

77,777 Views | 895 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cdowl38
blumby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's interesting what they've said on the AO thread. I tend to agree with it.

If the estimated time frame for wanting this project to be done by the tu game, then taking 3 months to get the offical 501(c)(3) kind of wrecks that. If you want to keep the AgsForKyle project as a long standing medium for donating to projects that the people want, then here's what I think: get registered with the state for the account like they suggested, get an account set up so donations can start to come in, and start working on getting that 501(c)(3) exemption rolling for future missions.

T-Shirts can still be done, just without tax-exempt status. Someone would need to front the money to get the ball rolling but I think it should be done.

Fact of the matter is that this effort has gained some momentum. It would really take the steam out to have to wait 3 months when football season will be pretty much over. I say get it up so that donations can start now and work on that status for future endeavors.
SomeRandomAg#2580
AG
Removed by staff
nactownag
AG
If you need any help with video work...I'm your guy.

I think it would help your site TREMENDOUSLY if you could by some means arrange for a meeting with Bill Byrne and record a video of him giving a message and him voicing his approval of this website/project.

You get that...YOU'RE GOLDEN.

[This message has been edited by nactownag (edited 10/8/2009 11:32a).]
blumby
AG
nactown is GREAT with video and I agree, if you could get a video with Byrne that would reinforce the notion that this is a legitimate endeavor. Would REALLY help with donations IMO.
nactownag
AG
I mean all it's gotta be is just a :30 to 1:00 video. I'm sure Mr. Byrne would do it in exchange for the opportunity to get some major donations.
SomeRandomAg#2580
AG
Removed by staff
nactownag
AG
Maybe. I'd just get him to do it right away though if I were you. Or I'd try anyways. I can do all the video recording (if someone has a video camera I can use) and I can do all the editing and everything that is necessary to get the video posted on your site. Not gonna use YouTube...gonna make it professional...

I know that this is a legit deal and all but I'm just gonna say that if I didn't know the difference I would hesitate sending money to something that I didn't know was "acknowledged" by the AD.

I think you will see a tremendous amount of donations come in if you can get this done.

[This message has been edited by nactownag (edited 10/8/2009 11:47a).]
saber69
AG

[This message has been edited by saber69 (edited 10/8/2009 11:58a).]
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Nactownag said:

quote:
I think you will see a tremendous amount of donations come in if you can get this done.

It will blow your minds. There are very few that have the chuspa and time to do all this leg work you guys are doing. Literally THOUSANDS more will paypal $25 or more when it becomes completely legit and visible.

IMO this needs to be before the t.u. game if at all possible.

D2

edit:typing fail

[This message has been edited by SPI-FlatsCatter 84 (edited 10/8/2009 12:03p).]
SomeRandomAg#2580
AG
Removed by staff
blumby
AG
I think a poster named Keegan99 used to or does work for or with the office of the Governor... you could send him a PM!
TexasAggie2006
AG
You guys are doing great. Keep up the good work! Can't wait to help!
Ellis Wyatt
quote:
I know that this is a legit deal and all but I'm just gonna say that if I didn't know the difference I would hesitate sending money to something that I didn't know was "acknowledged" by the AD.
At the very least, maybe Byrne could mention the effort in a Weekly Wednesday, even if just as a "tip of the cap."

He does still do those, right?
McInnis 03
AG
What interest does a t-sip have in this?
Ellis Wyatt
I think it's a cool project.

I have lots of Aggie friends, and I also remember seeing the letters lit when I drove into town to visit or go to a game.

I like the things that make both A&M and Texas unique places, and I hate to see those fall by the wayside.

[This message has been edited by Tex Pete (edited 10/8/2009 12:59p).]
MaroonStain
AG
IMO, we do not need a Public or University figure to make this legitimate. That would be like the proverbial ants wanting the grasshopper to give them a 'shout-out' about how hard they are working.

The Aggie community (former students, current students and friends) can get this done without The Man's input whoever it may be.
Ellis Wyatt
No doubt it can get done without Byrne or anyone else making it "legitimate," but I think the point is that some people will give more freely if they know for sure they aren't being scammed.
Jet1085T
AG
I am not a rich man but i would love to donate towards this cause!

You guys are doing an amazing job!
ilikeit
So when can we donate
MaroonStain
AG
...something about "Aggies don't lie, cheat or steal nor tolerate those that do."
eeag03
AG
I'm just getting tied in to this thread. I took a look at the website and I think it looks great, but have a suggestion. Would it be possible to add a "thermometer" or something that shows how much has been donated as compared to the goal of 150k? That will help give folks an idea of where we are at. This might have been mentioned in the 14 pages of this thread, but I didn' have time to look through all of them. This is a great idea, and good luck!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
eeag03, I am working on a pledge-form and "thermometer" chart already... I've sent it to Pfidr and we will take it from there!
SomeRandomAg#2580
AG
Removed by staff
Bregxit
AG
pfidr,

For once being a grammar nazi isn't bad!

quote:
The total cost to complete the letter restoration is approximately $150,000 according to estimates by the Aggie Athletics Department and an independent contractor.

Left out the word TO.

My father knows LtGen Weber (they were fish buds). I can see if he wants to make a statement as well if you would like.

[This message has been edited by dlance05 (edited 10/8/2009 1:35p).]
Yersinia pestis
TSips
mts6175
Ernest Tucker
AG
...something about "Aggies don't lie, cheat or steal nor tolerate those that do."

- This is the reason Dez could have never played for A&M
SpreadsheetAg
AG
dlance, DOH!!!
DE4D
AG
I support this thread.
eeag03
AG
Awesome Spreadsheet!
SomeRandomAg#2580
AG
Removed by staff
Bregxit
AG
brd,

Wrong thread?
tamuaggie11
AG
quote:
Our efforts are supported by Texas A&M Athletic Director Bill Byrne and have his approval; however, this is not a fundraiser for Aggie Athletics or any of its affiliates.

Just for those who look at the website and aren't sure who he is! Minor detail, but couldn't hurt.
Gone Camping
AG
Thank You for Voting
Thank you for submitting your vote to TexAgs.com

Currently, your vote is the 15 vote in support of this message.

Sticky it staff!

Awesome job Ags!
nactownag
AG
Words are great and all but can't really compare to the impact of video.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.