Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Mission to light the letters!

77,776 Views | 895 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cdowl38
Visor Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Email sent this morning. I will update upon receipt of any response. Just imagine seeing those letters lit on Thanksgiving!
SomeRandomAg#2580
AG
Removed by staff
chrisocker
AG
I'll buy 2 shirts if this happens.
brazosgraphics
Here's the scoop on the cost of lighting the letters. $65k will cover it unless there is structural damage, and that can't be known until they are removed and inspected. As for the much mentioned 'wiring', this price includes gutting the insides and replacing/repairing the existing neon and ballasts and rewiring each letter for connection to existing power at the source. Price also includes cleaning and repainting the letters with a polyurethene acrylic automotive-grade paint to match pms Aggie Maroon. Removal and installation along with insurance and bonding is also included in this price.
KRamp90
duffelpud
AG
Call Kevin Hurley @ A&M.
Kramer
AG
quote:
As for the much mentioned 'wiring', this price includes gutting the insides and replacing/repairing the existing neon and ballasts and rewiring each letter for connection to existing power at the source.

I'm less worried about the wiring in the lights than I am about the "source." This is the same "source" that was blown out by an extra pizza oven.

From what I'm told, the Press Box in particular can BARELY handle what is being asked in terms of power. With all the TVs and computers and everything else that was never considered back when it was built, there is a serious power issue.

I'd love to see it happen. What I'd really like is for the whole Press Box to be taken down and redone stretching from end to end. If that happened, the letters could be redone and it would just be a part of the bigger project.
AgGrad99
AG
Who came up with that 65k estimate? Where is that from?

Lucas Jackson
It will take 1.21 Gigawatts to light the letters.
duffelpud
AG
Call Hurley.
TriAg2010
AG
quote:
From what I'm told, the Press Box in particular can BARELY handle what is being asked in terms of power. With all the TVs and computers and everything else that was never considered back when it was built, there is a serious power issue.

I'm tryin to tell you guys: natural gas
Face
AG
quote:

GREAT SCOTT!!!!
Kramer
AG
quote:

Yeah, Ahmadinejad is going to be really pissed when he finds out we raided his centrifuges.
SomeRandomAg#2580
AG
Removed by staff
Bucketrunner
I would love to see this happen!

As to the power needed in the press box, that wouldn't be an issue most of the time. The only time it could be a problem would be at a night game when both the lights and the press box were needed. Right?
AgGrad99
AG
Wouldnt that have applied half our home games this year?
fireinthehole
can't never could
Bucketrunner
I'm sort of a glass half full sort of person. Even if they could NOT be lit at night games, they could still be shining the other 360 + nights a year.
SomeRandomAg#2580
AG
Removed by staff
Visor Guy
AG
pfidr34 - I want to make this happen and think it can. I am waiting on response from Mr. Byrne but will assist in any way I can.
blumby
AG
pfidr34- Great job getting the domain! I'm not great with from scratch web design, but using something like iWeb, Expression Web, or Dreamweaver I'm sure something DECENT looking could be made pretty easily. I THINK I might be able to host it as well. An official email address like LightTheLetters@gmail.com could be created for questions and PayPal (if that's how you'd want to set it up for donations). I know PayPal now charges a fee when using a credit card but from straight bank transfers I think there's no charge. Email me at bcevans AT me DOT com and we'll see if we can get something started! I'd be more than happy to help wherever I can!
Lucas Jackson
quote:
GREAT SCOTT!!!!

I know, this is heavy.
blumby
AG
This may not be the most popular idea, but instead of worrying about power issues it could be solar powered with a battery system. I'm definitely no EE and don't know what kind of power it would take, but that could help with the pressbox circuit issue (which sounds like an entirely different issue altogether that needs attention). It'd be awesome if some EE prof turned it into a major project for them for experience... good way of giving back to the University
Visor Guy
AG
Does anyone think that no matter what route you take, $100K gets this done? If we have a proposal that says $65K gets everything outside done, I would think another $35K takes care of interior wiring and power.
blumby
AG
Like I said, I'm in no way qualified but I don't see why not. It would make a good goal amount as well.
brazosgraphics
A crew will be inspecting the letters this afternoon.
LeftyHound
AG
Any word from BB yet?
stick95
AG
Wiring, faded signs, bats, bugs....

WTF is going on with Kyle Field?

---------------------
Try and make something idiot proof, and all they do is make a better idiot.
SomeRandomAg#2580
AG
Removed by staff
lennonjunior
I am not sure if the name Kyle Field is trademarked by A&M or not but if it is you couldn't use it on the T-Shirt correct??

Anyways, I thought that a colored picture of Kyle on then T-shirt would look to me kind of cheesy, so I figured a sketch of it would be cool. I attempted to do it myself with my limited PHotoshop skills and here is what I came up with:

Visor Guy
AG
brazosgraphics - what company do you work for?
brazosgraphics
I own a communications company, but called a reputable, Aggie-owned company here in town to take a look at this.
blumby
AG
Full Time and 9 grad hours?! That's impressive! Like I said I can help wherever possible. I've worked with XHTML, CSS and Javascript before so I'd be more than willing to help you!
SomeRandomAg#2580
AG
Removed by staff
AgGrad99
AG
quote:
A crew will be inspecting the letters this afternoon.

quote:
I own a communications company, but called a reputable, Aggie-owned company here in town to take a look at this.

Wouldnt a crew need permission to go up there and inspect Kyle's letters?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.