Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Mission to light the letters!

77,731 Views | 895 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cdowl38
Wakebrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd donate $10 for the lights.

There was something comforting seeing those lights miles away on the drive back from Houston.
Longstreet
Yes, yes there was.

Thanks for looking blumby.
West Point Aggie
AG
quote:
There was something comforting seeing those lights miles away on the drive back from Houston.

hmmmm...don't the lights face WEST? If so, how could you see them coming from Houston, to the SOUTH of Kyle...? What kinda route did you take??
ArmyDoc
AG
One thing that reading that old thread did for me...reminded me how much I have always hated Aggieboy19's sig. I have no idea why that infurated me everytime I read it since it's complete nonsense, but reading it always put me in a very bad frame of mind.
AggieBill005
AG
quote:
So unless someone writes a big check, we won't see them lit up for a long time.

However, I believe the OP suggested a fundraiser of some sort (e.g. t-shirt).

To the OP: A shirt with Kyle field on the back, with the letters lit up... Writing across the top, something like "The stars at night..." "Kyle Field - A beacon in the darkness"

I'm a big fan of Aggie shirts - don't get many here in Kansas. I would order a dozen shirts like that if the proceeds would get the lights back up (especially before the tu game).

[This message has been edited by AggieBill005 (edited 9/30/2009 11:51a).]
brazosgraphics
...had to make a call to be sure... Newman Printing did several large letter projects on the new Basketball addition. I think they partnered with a local sign company to do the erection. A&M Facilities say they are ready to proceed with the project when the money appears.

[This message has been edited by brazosgraphics (edited 9/30/2009 1:24p).]
MaroonStain
AG

[This message has been edited by MaroonStain (edited 10/8/2009 1:38p).]
MaroonStain
AG
I have a pic. I can email it to whoever can post it.
Palooza11
AG
lighting the letters should be the least of our worries. our stadium has cracks on it, has POS concessions/restroom facilities, and smells like ****, and yet you people are concerned about lighting up some ****ing letters??? please
MaroonStain
AG
Concrete cracks. Students can power wash. Yes, concessions are paltry.

Light the letters!
Visor Guy
AG
Palooza, who crapped on your porch?

It is a symbol that many cherish about the beloved Kyle Field. Byrne and his gang are doing what they can to remedy your issues. The letters is something that the collective can do!
Wakebrad
AG
quote:
hmmmm...don't the lights face WEST? If so, how could you see them coming from Houston, to the SOUTH of Kyle...? What kinda route did you take??

They face South West.
AggieBill005
AG
ttt
Saint Arnold
AG
A new facade will be going up as part of the next round of Kyle Field renovations. Look for lit lettering then.
regurkmatt
FullDraw
AG
I agree, light the letters, as I and almost everyone else who posted on a ~1000+ thread a year or so ago.
Visor Guy
AG
So back to the original reason for this, what could be done to raise the money? What can we do? Maybe Texags could benefit from it. Give ideas how we can make this happen.
Kramer
AG
As usual, everybody wants to dance but nobody wants to pay the band.
wee_ag
AG
"Light The Letters"

[This message has been edited by wee_ag (edited 9/30/2009 3:51p).]
AggieBill005
AG
I'll gladly pay the band...

Whatever is done needs to be something that people can contribute from far away, be it monetary donations or buying t-shirts, a raffle...

I know money is tight, but I would have much rather had the letters repaired that the damn ribbon boards...
sawemoffshort07
AG
I will be shirts with that picture on it to help make it happen.
Kramer
AG
Nobody even knows how much it would cost. Some guy on the internet says 50K-65K.

Does he know the current state of the wiring in the Press Box?
What if it required the entire wiring scheme to be redone?

Not saying he doesn't, but just because some guy on the internet says something doesn't make it true.

And if you're talking 2-3 million, you ain't gonna make that selling T-shirts.

Why don't you email Bill Byrne, offer to organize a collection effort specifically for this, and ask him what he estimates it would cost?

I remember him saying something about it, so here's a first step: go into the Wednesday Weekly archives and find where and when he mentioned it.
GiveUsRoom
It will never happen while Byrne is here. Better to let it lie and wait for the next guy, if you stir him up you might just wind up with another "ribbon board" blaring ads there.
regurkmatt
i don't know if you're serious about doing shirts, but i had a little free time and did this...

The cost on these would be around $5.00 for 10,000 shirts (Small through XXL). Using my trusty TI calculator, you'd make $69,300 if you sold the shirts for $12 each.

eh.....maybe i'm too bored....

[This message has been edited by regurkmatt (edited 9/30/2009 4:27p).]
regurkmatt
nobody even made fun of my shirt...
Longstreet
That's the pic! Thanks regurkmatt.

(Right click, "Set as Desktop Background...)

Not picking a fight Kramer, but I see lots of folks, on this thread and on the other, that are willing to pay the band. Hell, I'm raising 10 kids on 12 bucks an hour (more or less), and I'd chip in something. Wouldn't be much, but every little bit helps, right?

I know there's money to be raised, and I know Byrne was luke-warm to the idea at best, but...

Y'all are Aggies. What can you not do?
Longstreet
matt, I'd buy a couple or three. One for me and one for my two oldest boys. The younger ones might want one too.
AggieBill005
AG
quote:
nobody even made fun of my shirt...

Because its not a bad shirt... If it has the pic above on the back of it, it would actually be pretty cool.
wee_ag
AG
With apologies to regurkmatt - I was working on a shirt when it decided to get uber-busy at work. Here's my contribution...
Front

Back
gigm09
Stasco
AG
quote:
The rec was built in the Millennium?
Not positive on this, but I'm pretty sure that Kyle and the Rec were built in the same millennium, and it wasn't this one.
TriAg2010
AG
So it's decided then that we would settle for fluorescent backlighting? What happened to the flame lit idea?
Visor Guy
AG
OK, so how can we set up a site that allows you to order the shirt and if you want make an additional charitable contribution? How do we get clearance from the University? Does anyone know what sign company the University uses or someone that could do this work?
TyHolden
AG
i think we should just put Christmas tree lights around Kyle Field. This would help in recruiting the rednecks and mexicans...
AggieBill005
AG
With permission from BB, it would be great if we could get a more accurate estimate from an Ag on what the cost would be.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.