Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Mission to light the letters!

77,772 Views | 895 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cdowl38
PhilCantone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wow, that is pathetic.
Kramer
AG
quote:
MSC Bookstore stepped in and stopped everything.

Don't worry about it. Get it online and the in-person sales will take care of itself. People talk and when they see a shirt, they'll wonder where to get it.
Jack Klompus
AG
quote:
MSC Bookstore stepped in and stopped everything.
The bookstore should have no say in this whatsoever. Is NFLO a "recognized student organization" with the Department of Student Activities? If so, all you would have to do is get Student Activities to sign off on your selling of the items. You can visit http://studentactivities.tamu.edu/concessions for more information. Basically, all you have to do is get Student Activities to sign off on the sale of the shirt, location, etc. Also, you will need Collegiate Licensing to sign off on the design/logos of the shirt. The last I remember is that you can only sell items 7 days a month, which shouldn't be a problem if you are only doing Gamedays. Sounds like someone is giving you the run-around. Also, since you are dealing with Student Activities, money from sales will need to be deposited in the NFLO's account at the SOFC.

[This message has been edited by Jack Klompus (edited 10/29/2009 3:33p).]
bigfoot10s
AG
The big question is, is this organization a student organization, or just some random Aggies organizing it. If you are not a student organization, you cannot sell anything on campus on a gameday as far as I know. This is probably not the MSC shutting you down, it is the university, because it is in their contract with Barnes and Noble and the MSC Bookstore. Selling things on campus on gamedays is way higher than the MSC Bookstore.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Just curious since there seems to be a lot of heartache about the consumption of energy and associated costs...

Is it economically and aesthetically feasible to install PV panels to a battery or collection of batterys so that it may mitigate/offset some of the additional energy costs?

[This message has been edited by AggieArchitect04 (edited 10/29/2009 4:33p).]
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
The big question is, is this organization a student organization, or just some random Aggies organizing it. If you are not a student organization, you cannot sell anything on campus on a gameday as far as I know. This is probably not the MSC shutting you down, it is the university, because it is in their contract with Barnes and Noble and the MSC Bookstore. Selling things on campus on gamedays is way higher than the MSC Bookstore.

We are affiliated with a Student Organization, and the Student Organization is the one who will be staffing and running the t-shirt sales. We cleared everyhing with the University before going forward.
Jack Klompus
AG
I don't see what you are doing is any different than Class Councils selling Maroon Out shirts, 12th Man Student Foundation selling towels, or a various club selling raffle tickets for an Aggie widget. The bookstore should not even be in the conversation. The conversation needs to be between the student organization's advisor and treasurer/CFO, whoever is in charge of concessions in the Koldus plaza within Student Activities, Collegiate Licensing to approve the t-shirt design and use of logos, and the Student Organization Finance Center (SOFC).

Has this organization sold anything on campus before? If not, they should reach out to someone in Class Councils/Maroon Out to go through the process of how to sell stuff on a gameday.
JOHN2010
AG
thumbs down for MSC bookstore
bigfoot10s
AG
Like I posted on the other thread, this problem does not lie with the bookstore. The people who have a problem with you selling shirts is the MSC Class Council, the organization that sells Maroon Out Shirts. Gameday is THEIR main selling day. You selling a shirt to light the Kyle Field letters competes with them, not the bookstore. They do not want you to sell in front of Koldus because that is where they sell. Whoever says they talked to the bookstore is wrong, they talked to the MSC Class Council.
AAM02
AG
Excellent advice from Klompus.
bigfoot10s
AG
The bookstore was never in this conversation. The Manager herself has said she has had no contact with this group. The contact was with MSC Class Council, and it is in their best interest to not have you compete with them on the same ground they sell Maroon Out shirts. That is the issue at hand.
Jack Klompus
AG
quote:
Like I posted on the other thread, this problem does not lie with the bookstore. The people who have a problem with you selling shirts is the MSC Class Council, the organization that sells Maroon Out Shirts. Gameday is THEIR main selling day. You selling a shirt to light the Kyle Field letters competes with them, not the bookstore. They do not want you to sell in front of Koldus because that is where they sell. Whoever says they talked to the bookstore is wrong, they talked to the MSC Class Council.
This is wrong. There is no need to throw this organization under the bus without checking your facts. I have seen numerous other student groups selling items on gamedays. It has nothing to do with Class Councils. Also, fwiw, Class Councils is not affiliated with the MSC; it is a part of Student Activities.
bigfoot10s
AG
The bookstore has nothing to do with this, I am telling you. Why would Maroon out want you selling on their turf?

Was student activities not housed in the MSC???
bigfoot10s
AG
This shirt is in no way competition for the merchandise that the bookstore sells. Why would they care?
bigfoot10s
AG
from the maroon out website:

quote:
Shirts can be purchased in one of three ways:

-IN PERSON

The weeks before home football games, daily sales will occur Tuesday - Friday outside of the John. J. Koldus building from 10am-3pm.

That is competition for them on gamedays. Whoever says they talked to the bookstore is mistaken.
Jack Klompus
AG
quote:
The bookstore has nothing to do with this, I am telling you. Why would Maroon out want you selling on their turf?

Was student activities not housed in the MSC???
First, any recognized student organization has the priviledge to sell stuff on campus should they go through the proper channels to do so. No one has "turf". Sure, Maroon Out may be in the same location as it works logistically for a large crowd that way, but that doesn't mean that another group couldn't sell shirts on the same block. Secondly, Maroon Out's price point and volume would blow this out of the water, and this would not really be "competition" for them.

Also, being located in the MSC != being affiliated with the MSC.

Edit: In no way am I affilliated with Maroon Out, and these comments do not represent the opinion Maroon Out or Class Councils.

[This message has been edited by Jack Klompus (edited 10/29/2009 6:02p).]
bigfoot10s
AG
Okay, then tell me who you spoke to at the MSC Bookstore. I will put money on it that it was not anyone affiliated with the bookstore.
Jack Klompus
AG
I am not affiliated with AgsforKyle or whatever it is. Just trying to offer some simple advice from experience I had as a student.
bigfoot10s
AG
My question is, how is the sale of a shirt like this direct competition with the bookstore. They sell nothing that is even remotely close to a product of this nature.

All I am saying is that the poster who said the MSC bookstore shut them down is misinformed. It was not the bookstore, because they have no interest in this matter.
bigfoot10s
AG
I didnt mean you, necessarily. I know you are not the guy that spoke to them. Just saying...
SomeRandomAg#2580
AG
Removed by staff
wee_ag
AG
Unbelievable that B&N controls A&M like that. That's just a bad idea that should have been seen years ago.
SomeRandomAg#2580
AG
Removed by staff
bigfoot10s
AG
Don't be mad only at barnes and noble, it is partially athletics fault. They get a portion of the bookstore sales.
SomeRandomAg#2580
AG
Removed by staff
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
Sorry, this is kinda off-topic, but...

you're representing NFLO for this? i was in NFLO last year as a freshman, are you a current counselor?
Visor Guy
AG
What about northgate as well?

Or be on campus and say free shirt with $10 donation.

[This message has been edited by Aggie Delta Sig 99 (edited 10/29/2009 7:01p).]
bigfoot10s
AG
I think they would see a difference between getting money off the bookstore sales, and getting the money from these shirts to fund a project that had not been thought of in a long while.

That being said, I think you've got a great idea. I hope they change something so that you can sell them on campus.
AginKS
Ok, well here's another deal that may be a bit off-topic: Can anybody sell these at an away game? If so, I'd be glad to help at the OU game - even though I don't have tickets (lol).

For God, country, and A&M
Naked Hiker
AG
I donated
SomeRandomAg#2580
AG
Removed by staff
Angry Beaver
AG
Take To Top
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
oh! i know her! awesome stuff. good luck with this!
AAM02
AG
I'm curious if you could approach the Texas A&M Foundation or the Association of Former Students to see if you could set up at or near their buildings? They are on the same plot of land as campus (and close to Kyle Field, which would be great for sales) but may not be considered "on campus".
bigfoot10s
AG
Explain to me how the Association of Former Students building could be considered "not on campus"??

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.