Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

439,421 Views | 3153 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by DiskoTroop
AggieFabricator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lines have been hit or miss lately, one day I went the line was inside the door, another day he sold out by 12:20. They're currently closed until next week.
CDub06
AG
I've seen no indication of that on their website or facebook. I know they were closed last week for Christmas.
AggieFabricator
Not sure on what they posted, but i know they're closed until next week. They told me last time I was in there they were shutting down for two weeks for Christmas and New Years weekend. Edit: texted Dave too and he confirmed they're closed as well. If you're coming through that pocket on I-10 I highly recommend 2M in SA.
CDub06
AG
Thanks. 2M is one of our favorites, so our original discussion was between those two places. Burnt Bean has been at the top of my to do list though.
AggieFabricator
Go next week, they'll be well rested. Food is great when they're tired as hell, gotta imagine it'll be even better next week.
CDub06
AG
They just posted on their facebook that they're closed. Looks like your text prompted a little action. Thanks for the info.
jah003
S
Went to Interstellar for the first time since the list came out. Great as always… first time to have the Frito Pie Sausage and it was damn good. Got there at 9 and were the only people until about 10:30. Between 10:30-11 probably 100 or so people showed up though.
NColoradoAG
jah003 said:

Went to Interstellar for the first time since the list came out. Great as always… first time to have the Frito Pie Sausage and it was damn good. Got there at 9 and were the only people until about 10:30. Between 10:30-11 probably 100 or so people showed up though.

That looks like some damn good bbq
ChimbosAg
AG
Looking at trying out Truth (Houston) this weekend. Not sure to go on Saturday or Sunday, but wanted to get some ideas of how early to get up there before they open? Or how the weekend wait is? TIA
SpiderDude
AG
jah003 said:

My BiL brought Interstellar to my dad's 75th BDay Party today. He also brought BBQ from a trailer he likes called Jim's for comparison. I liked everything from Interstellar. Brisket was great as were the sides. Turkey and ribs were on point. The turkey at the other place was surprisingly good too... possibly better even. Ribs were close. The sides we had from Interstellar were smoked scalloped potatoes (awesome sauce), Mac and cheese, cucumber salad. Also had the brisket Picadillo and of course the "free beans". Jim's had a jicama slaw that was surprisingly good. Good stuff!
Independence H-D
San Antonio,

I know 2M has been highly recommend. What else in SA? I thought there was a TexMex/BBQ place. But, can't remember the name.
schmendeler
AG
Valentina's?
agcrock2005
AG
Independence H-D said:

San Antonio,

I know 2M has been highly recommend. What else in SA? I thought there was a TexMex/BBQ place. But, can't remember the name.
Someone previously had posted a map that shows all of the top 50 as well as honorable mention winners in a google map format. It was pretty awesome and allowed you to easily look by city. Hopefully someone will post again. I wasn't able to find it in a google search ironically.
MAROON
AG
ChimbosAg said:

Looking at trying out Truth (Houston) this weekend. Not sure to go on Saturday or Sunday, but wanted to get some ideas of how early to get up there before they open? Or how the weekend wait is? TIA
not sure on weekends. Weekdays at lunch have always had a very manageable line - like 15 minutes max.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
lazuras_dc
AG
Valentina's is south of Austin, I wouldn't consider that SA. SA has pinkerton's, or a short drive to Seguin for Burnt Bean.
lazuras_dc
AG
Here's the map

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1gyk29UKH2TsUIsyAh-Y8iAOJGGyB_Rrr&ll=30.13138773870209%2C-100.2060104&z=7
schmendeler
AG
My bad!
Bulldog73
AG
Any word on the madness at Goldee's lately? I'm thinking of a stop on the way through town.
Bulldog73
AG
The wait is around the parking lot and down to the street. No idea how long that'll take.
Fairview20
AG
Went to La BBQ in Austin earlier. Had a brisket sandwich and pork ribs. Meats were great as well as the Mac and cheese, my only complaint is having to pay extra for bread, pickles, onions, and jalapeños.

They make their pickles in house so I get that but the bread is right out of the bag and the onions and jalapeños were just your standard toppings, nothing homemade or special.

Is this common at these higher end BBQ places now? It felt like I was getting nickel and dimed on something that is usually free or at the very least cheap if you add on.
NColoradoAG
Fairview20 said:

Went to La BBQ in Austin earlier. Had a brisket sandwich and pork ribs. Meats were great as well as the Mac and cheese, my only complaint is having to pay extra for bread, pickles, onions, and jalapeños.

They make their pickles in house so I get that but the bread is right out of the bag and the onions and jalapeños were just your standard toppings, nothing homemade or special.

Is this common at these higher end BBQ places now? It felt like I was getting nickel and dimed on something that is usually free or at the very least cheap if you add on.

Nothing is cheap anymore. I don't blame a restaurant for covering all their costs in this current environment.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Probably just since 70% of the people say "yes" when it's offered but only 25% of those people eat the stuff....making sure people who only really want the stuff get it.

As long as not egregious I can understand.
AggieFabricator
2M is sort of Tex Mex. Pinkerton is the only other Top 50 joint in SA. Next closest would be Burnt Bean or Valentina's.
Fairview20
AG
That's what I figured. I have no issue with it, I was just surprised. I'll gladly pay an extra $4-$5 if it helps them out.
JCRiley09
AG
I feel like it is unusual to see those extras priced out. Most places just price the "freebies" into the menu items
NColoradoAG
Aggie09Derek said:

Probably just since 70% of the people say "yes" when it's offered but only 25% of those people eat the stuff....making sure people who only really want the stuff get it.

Probably this too. Everyone wants all the accouterments to make their platter look good for Instagram and Tik Tok and then they all go in the trash.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Fairview20 said:

That's what I figured. I have no issue with it, I was just surprised. I'll gladly pay an extra $4-$5 if it helps them out.
How much was it actually extra there?

Basic bread/onions/pickles - $4-5 seems way too expensive.
Fairview20
AG
I don't have my receipt anymore but I'm pretty sure the house pickles were $2, bread was $0.50 per two slices. I don't remember what the jalapeños and onions were but I'd guess it's in the ball park of $0.50-$0.75 per person.
jah003
S
NColoradoAG said:

Aggie09Derek said:

Probably this too. Everyone wants all the accouterments to make their platter look good for Instagram and Tik Tok and then they all go in the trash.

Guy behind me at Interstellar a few weeks ago was still taking pictures after I had eaten and left. He did fly down from Philadelphia… but eat the damn food man.
htxag09
AG
My first instinct is to be annoyed by La bbq charging for pickles, bread, etc. But looking at their menu it looks like they charge a little less than others for meat. If you're charging $30/pound for brisket, though, don't charge me for two damn pickles.
Independence H-D
Burnt Bean was the one
AggieFabricator
I'll be hitting burnt bean in the morning for breakfast. Been about 30 times but it's still worth it.
Beef Cheek
AG
Always exciting day when Daniel Vaughn comes to town.

NColoradoAG
Beef Cheek said:

Always exciting day when Daniel Vaughn comes to town.

Pardon my ignorance, but are those two trucks right there near Leroy & Lewis?
Beef Cheek
AG
Mama Fried is a LeRoy & Lewis truck down south off Menchaca

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.