Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,241 Views | 3170 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Matsui
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok, so according to my notes...

Now when we post our bbq pictures, we also need the arrival time & wait time. And now an itemized pricing list of the order? Did I miss anything?
Wicked Good Ag
CDub06 said:

Now when we post our bbq pictures, we also need the arrival time & wait time. And now an itemized pricing list of the order? Did I miss anything?
While that was sarcasm i like the list...add in favorite part of the meal overall and we good to go

Side question Anyone going to Lockhart for TM BBQ Fest first weekend in Nov?
BohunkAg
AG
CDub06 said:

a picture of your old lady
TequilaMockingbird
BohunkAg said:

CDub06 said:

a picture of your old lady lady's cans.
FIFY
TXAG 05
AG
Koldus131 said:

My favorite thing about the Pit Room is how you can get a 2/3 meat plate with two sides and then make one of the sides tortilla chips. They have some really good salsa, and chips and salsa with good BBQ is a nice change of pace and feels very Texan.

Their breakfast tacos are great too
BurnetAggie99
If you go to Reece Bros BBQ in San Antonio they also have homemade tortillas and Salsa Naraja that's served with the BBQ.
htxag09
AG
Is the pitmaker poster in this thread? Have a few questions on a pit I have and wanted to reach out….
DiskoTroop
Hit my first Top 50 spot in quite some time today.

La Vaca BBQ in Victoria

Marbled brisket, serrano cheese sausage, pork belly mac, jalapeño creamed corn, house pickles and onion and here's something new… a 10% if you've been to church in the last week! I liked that.

Brisket was nicely rendered in the meat but cap could have rendered more. Is that just a function of proper trimming??? Maybe. Also could use a hair more seasoning.

Sausage tasted great but grind was too course for my taste.

Sides were solid 7/10. Though let's be honest, while good, a dusting of pork bits does not "pork belly mac" make. That was a little disappointing.

Home made bread was nice. Pickles need work.

They also had a Texas Gold sauce that I did have on a single bite just to taste it. It was quite good!! Would be great on chicken or maybe pork ribs as a different option.

Two meat plate w/ 2 sides: $22
Bread/pickles: $0.50 (they charged me for one or the other, I can't remember)
Coke: $3

I'll be back. Pricing was fair on what I ordered and quality was good. Curious how a single tamale can be $8. May have to investigate… pollo verde was the special today.

Koldus131
AG
To me it seems the cost/inflation of good BBQ is finally catching up to joints and customer's wallets. For example, my girlfriend and I went and got lunch at an established craft joint Sunday in DFW. Got a sliced brisket sandwich, 1/4 lb sausage, brisket baked potato, 3 individual sides, and 2 soft drinks. With tax and tip the total was $61. That was even with a $20 special for the sandwich, one drink, and 2 sides! With prices like that and so many great options across the state, the demand just isn't there like it used to be. I think we're going to see a lot of good places shut down over the next 24 months.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/is-texas-bbq-bubble-ready-to-burst/
BohunkAg
AG
Man, people just don't have the extra pocket change to spend any more either.
Saxsoon
AG
I went on a pretty tight budget recently to crank down on buying a house someday and a trip to my favorite joint takes a huge chunk out of that eating out budget.
Saxsoon
AG
Koldus131 said:

To me it seems the cost/inflation of good BBQ is finally catching up to joints and customer's wallets. For example, my girlfriend and I went and got lunch at an established craft joint Sunday in DFW. Got a sliced brisket sandwich, 1/4 lb sausage, brisket baked potato, 3 individual sides, and 2 soft drinks. With tax and tip the total was $61. That was even with a $20 special for the sandwich, one drink, and 2 sides! With prices like that and so many great options across the state, the demand just isn't there like it used to be. I think we're going to see a lot of good places shut down over the next 24 months.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/is-texas-bbq-bubble-ready-to-burst/

I do think evie maes better reconsider their 6 day model because that is clearly biting them in the ass. On the weekends it was still pretty busy when I last went a few months back. But most bbq places like that of quality are going to struggle with a 6-7 day model without making sacrifices to keep costs low. Crowds will come on weekends but people are gonna be working those other days and can't afford longer waits
justnobody79
I'm not going to lie, I've been looking for more down menu items lately instead of an order of 1 lb. brisket plus everything else. I know it will be blasphemous amongst the BBQ snobs but a good sandwich or some other item where they put 3 or 4 items in a bowl or cup is more than enough for me. I just can't justify spending that much all the time for BBQ. I want to help, but I can't drown myself to save someone else.
WES2006AG
AG
Had Killen's for lunch and decided to go with the brisket enchiladas. They were delicious.
Koldus131
AG
justnobody79 said:

I'm not going to lie, I've been looking for more down menu items lately instead of an order of 1 lb. brisket plus everything else. I know it will be blasphemous amongst the BBQ snobs but a good sandwich or some other item where they put 3 or 4 items in a bowl or cup is more than enough for me. I just can't justify spending that much all the time for BBQ. I want to help, but I can't drown myself to save someone else.

Same. Hence my order from Sunday I referenced. I think it would be smart for a lot of these joints to do what Mimsy's is doing and expand the menu to better profit generating items that complement BBQ or just use the cooked BBQ product in new menu items (sandwiches, enchiladas, tacos, etc.) that drive better profits.

For example, brisket enchiladas from somewhere like Truth sounds amazing to me and I'd be all over it.
tsuag10
AG
I'm not sure if this is the case with Evie Mae's, but I know a lot of these joints might be leasing the space that they are in. Operating only four days a week isn't enough to cover the lease and pay the rest of the bills. And I'm sure that lease is going up for everyone.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

I think it would be smart for a lot of these joints to do what Mimsy's is doing and expand the menu
Their new menu looks really good. We don't live in Crockett but stop there whenever we go thru. They have always "experimented" with specials - inventive & delicious - so this is not too far off base for them & I'm sure welcomed by the locals.
agcrock2005
AG
Finally made it to Hurtado's (Arlington location) and it was very good. I may be a little biased because he's my sons flag football coach, but I tried not to be. The ribs, birria taco (badass) and brisket were very good. Bacon braised cabbage had great flavor but I'm not a cabbage guy. Only got it because he said to. Loaded mash potatoes were great as well. Wasn't huge fan of the sausge. You can tell their sides are scratch made. I will definitely go back.
tsuag10
AG
Panther City BBQ today.

Brisket double smash burger and pork belly burnt ends. Overall was very good. Burger was $9 and pork belly was $7 for 1/4 lb. I got there about 10:55 and waited about 20 minutes.

Very good overall. A change up from my normal brisket and ribs order that I typically do.

Koldus131
AG
Man that looks like an awesome lunch
Matsui
AG
awesome spot love panther city
agcrock2005
AG
That burger looks awesome.
aggie2812-2
AG
I went to this yesterday and I would be surprised if they don't make the top 10 in the next list. My buddy and I travel around to BBQ places and when I saw this post I realized it was only 40 minutes away. The brisket was really good but to be honest everything was really really good. The Mac and cheese and green chill cream corn were awesome as well. Everything we had we ate so if you get a chance go to Local Craft BBQ and you won't be disappointed.
agcrock2005
AG
I'm assuming you're talking about my post a while ago about Local Craft? I've heard even more good stuff lately about them. I believe one of the owners was a partner at 407 BBQ and left to do his own thing.
Koldus131
AG
Coincidentally enough, Daniel Vaughn wrote about Local Craft last week. https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/localcraft-bbq-newark/
agcrock2005
AG
Damn I want that burger.
aggie2812-2
AG
Yep that's the place. It's far better than 407 as well. Let me know what you think after going.
agcrock2005
AG
aggie2812-2 said:

Yep that's the place. It's far better than 407 as well. Let me know what you think after going.
Will do. Going to try to make it out next week. I live a mile or two from 407 and never go there anymore. Quality went way down and prices way up (some of which is understandable).
RED AG 98
AG
Not bbq but tangentially related because 1) it's smoked and 2) lots of meat.

Afternoon food coma incoming after a visit to Perry's for the famous Pork Chop Friday Lunch. I think this was right at $10 the first time I went about 15 years ago. Still a pretty good deal today at $19.
Mathguy64
AG
That Friday lunch chop is the worlds best meal under $20. It's not even close.
CenTexSmoke
*Not Tx Monthly related*

Wanted to share the tray we had from Bark BBQ in NYC yesterday, but they're doing Texas BBQ well in the Big Apple. Proteins done very well, especially the ribs. Brisket was good, and of a level of about what you'd find most places back home. The sides are a play on their Dominican roots, fried plantains and the black beans and rice were outstanding. If I'm going to be critical of anything, I did not care as much for the pork belly with crispy skin. Not a huge pork belly guy anyways though. All in all it was a great experience and food, which is what it's all about. My son Preston really liked it, and he's very very hard to please (the kid compares everything against Snow's or Burnt Bean haha.). All in all a great experience, if you're in NYC ever, come check them out.
JCRiley09
AG
Yes, please share the tray
CenTexSmoke

CowtownAg06
AG
Looks awesome. Where in NYC?
DiskoTroop
Plantanos?? Awesome!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.