Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

439,348 Views | 3153 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by DiskoTroop
agfan2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You should've gotten some, it was really good. Well I'm mad I didnt come over and meet you, I forgot all about it until after we left and I was uploading some pictures to imgur to post on texags. I did talk to Chuds for a bit while in line and enjoyed the sample from your tent. What kind of sausage was it? I cant remember, but it was good. Not that I really had a bad bite anywhere at the event...

Beef Cheek
AG
That was Cole Parkman's "old school" sausage, our attempt to pay tribute to the links at Smitty's/Kreuz.
Buzzy

Quote:

One tip I learned that might help someone else in the future: You can bring in aluminum trays and ziplock bags to this event. You'll get so much food you eventually start throwing stuff away after just a few bites so you can sample something else, but you can bring stuff in to save the food and take it home. Saw lots of people loading up food in trays or ziplocks to have a ton of leftovers when they left. I hate throwing away good food so I wish I knew that beforehand.

Someone should sell tupperware containers right in the middle of all of the barbecue vendors and make a mint.
Wild West Pimp Style
AggieFabricator
He serves it at the restaurant on fridays and has the tiajuana white sauce too from time to time.
agcrock2005
AG
Isn't this your company? I believe it is, and if so, congrats! If not, I suck.
https://instagr.am/p/CkjEnuHrmkG
AggieFabricator
I know the owner, he's typical Luling oilfield trash. Haha kidding aside, thanks for following. I do own Cen-Tex, I post on here as Tx BBQ fan not a business owner though.
wadd96
AG
I wish I had room for a 500 right now.... but unfortunately, there isn't enough storage space in the garage... Hopefully room when we move to Brenham. You and Backline are my two choices.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
agcrock2005
AG
AggieFabricator said:

I know the owner, he's typical Luling oilfield trash. Haha kidding aside, thanks for following. I do own Cen-Tex, I post on here as Tx BBQ fan not a business owner though.
Awesome. I'm just trying to pretend I'm part of yours and Beef Cheeks adventure. I went into the wrong career!
gooberman83
agcrock2005 said:

AggieFabricator said:

Awesome. I'm just trying to pretend I'm part of yours and Beef Cheeks adventure. I went into the wrong career!

Our "work trips" are fire
RC_57
AG
wadd96 said:

Mimsey's in Crockett
Thank you

I missed this earlier so we didn't stop by there this trip, but bookmarked for our next trip that direction.
wadd96
AG
Wade and team cooks up some bomb que!!!
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Some Texas page I follow on Facebook shared the Top 50 list. Some of the comments were pretty comical.

This is all hipster barbecue and Rudy's is better was the summary of it.
AggieFabricator
If you're not old or you cook great bbq and have facial hair, they call you a hipster nowadays. Going by my experiences if the word Hipster is mentioned with a place there's a 85% chance it's going to be awesome food. It means they're young and actually give a *****
Beef Cheek
AG
And if you put kimchi on a BBQ sandwich they'll for sure call you hipster!!

…and it's probably deserved at that point
wadd96
AG
I'm old, cook bomb ass que, and have facial hair. What does that make me?
wadd96
AG
Man, bagging on Blood Bros, Loro and Khoi? j/k
bularry
that rig that Feges was using at Southern Smoke was really cool. nice work
AggieFabricator
Thank you. That rig has been getting some serious miles put on it lately.
Koldus131
AG
We've got a Texas Monthly article about one of our regular posters!

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/cen-tex-smokers-origin-story/
agcrock2005
AG
Koldus131 said:

That's awesome. Congrats AgFab!
JCA1
AG
Very cool!
Beef Cheek
AG
Yeeeaaaa! That's dope
WestTexAG
AG
Pretty impressive, hopefully it extends the year waitlist another full year!
Objective Aggie
AG
Koldus131 said:

Heard he's typical Luling oilfield trash
wadd96
AG
OK, I think need an old fashioned cook off.... Support a veteran's charity.... and see who can cook and who can't....
Buzzy
Objective Aggie said:

Koldus131 said:

Heard he's typical Luling oilfield trash
Self-aware typical Luling oilfield trash at that.
Wild West Pimp Style
AggieFabricator
My wife gets so mad when I drink and tell folks this haha. I have a savings account and all of my teeth, so I'm very upper echelon oilfield trash around here.
CowtownAg06
AG
That's awesome. Are they going to run i the actual magazine next month?
WestTexAG
AG
AggieFabricator said:

My wife gets so mad when I drink and tell folks this haha. I have a savings account and all of my teeth, so I'm very upper echelon oilfield trash around here.

Oilfield trash is kind of like the trailer park. You can take us out of the oilfield, but you'll never get the oilfield out...

agfan2013
AG
Goldees run today with some friends.

Really dang good. Brisket is elite, sausage was fantastic, ribs were good but not great, I could list a handful of places with better ribs. Sides were fantastic too, as was the house made bread. No turkey available today, and nobody in our group got a beef rib.

I can see top 10, but personally I have several other spots above it like Truth and Burnt Bean. The others in our group agreed, really good and you're mainly splitting hairs in the top echelon of places, but each had a different spot they liked more.

agcrock2005
AG
Never noticed how much mustard seed they put in their sausage. I make sausage at home and never seem to put enough in mine. Any professionals have recommendation on how much mustard seed to put in a 10 lb batch? BEEF CHEEKS, looking at you!
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Is that mustard seed or cheese?
Objective Aggie
AG
agfan2013 said:

Really dang good. Brisket is elite, sausage was fantastic, ribs were good but not great, I could list a handful of places with better ribs. Sides were fantastic too, as was the house made bread. No turkey available today, and nobody in our group got a beef rib.

I can see top 10, but personally I have several other spots above it like Truth and Burnt Bean. The others in our group agreed, really good and you're mainly splitting hairs in the top echelon of places, but each had a different spot they liked more.

If you haven't seen the Goldee's video i reposted a few pages back from someone else on this thread, please watch it.

Everything is by hand.
Objective Aggie
AG
agfan2013 said:

I had very similar feedback. Top 1? Top 10? Don't care, just feed me.
AggieFabricator
Today I had the pleasure of finally hitting Interstellar with a group of seasoned vets who also were going for their first time. It was spectacular and deserving of its #2 ranking in my opinion (they felt the same). The brisket was incredible, great bark and didn't shy away from the salt which I love, great render on the fat. The sausage was excellent, especially the frito pie and jalapeño popper sausage. The famed pork belly was good, I was a few items deep and it was extremely rich, so I took it easy here. Turkey was very good, I really enjoyed it with the green sauce and chimichurri mixed together on a tortilla. The sides were all extremely well done and thought out. The highlights for me were the smoked scalloped potatoes, the jalapeño slaw, and the chorizo cheese grits.

Already planning the next trip.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.