Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,057 Views | 3170 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Matsui
Law361
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1775 giving me the meat sweats before Aggie baseball. Very good brisket. Heavy on the black pepper
schmendeler
AG
That looks legit!
agcrock2005
AG
Wow. Impressive plate. Even the bread looks awesome!
Koldus131
AG
That's the best looking tray I've ever seen from 1775, need to get there again soon!
CDub06
AG
Beef Cheek said:

New Texas Aggie magazine highlighting how maroon we've made the state of BBQ.

Honored to have a tiny blurb share a page with Joel!
Obviously Leonard got the big features.

https://texasaggie.aggienetwork.com/issues/2022-05/

Just got mine in the mail. Have been looking forward to it. Such a cool feature and cover story - perfect for A&M.

But…why did they photograph Lincoln Riley's barbecue for the cover?
Beef Cheek
AG
Hahah yea that stuff looks like it was getting photographed for a long time
BSD
AG
Beef Cheek said:

As for the cheeks… trim them like a small brisket, 2:1 pepper/salt for the rub, smoked for ~4 hrs, confit in beef fat for ~4 hrs.

Beef cheeks via Beef Cheek's quick recipe. Mmmm…

rjones2688
El Jefe platter from Hurtado bbq about a week ago. Threw in some texas twinkies for good measure
Beef Cheek
AG
Beautiful
BSD
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Beautiful

That's high praise. I'm honored. Now I need to figure out what to do with trimmings.
agcrock2005
AG
BSD said:

Beef Cheek said:

Beautiful
That's high praise. I'm honored. Now I need to figure out what to do with trimmings.
Here's what Beef Cheek's co-worker did with his.
Beef Cheek
AG
Was back at the Mecca (Franklin) today with Aggie great Jay Arnold. Shout out to Jordan Jackson for always showing us the best in hospitality.
schmendeler
AG
Daaammmnn
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I believe I read somewhere that Franklin outsources/buys his sausage. Can you confirm?
Beef Cheek
AG
This was the case in the past, but for the last few years they've moved to making the sausage in house.

The new jalapeño cheese sausage they have is some of the best in the world.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Good to know. Thanks!
AggieFabricator
Still have yet to ever hit Franklin. Next time you go lemme know.
Beef Cheek
AG
Will do! Tuesday/Wednesday are sneaky short lines.
Jock 07
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Was back at the Mecca (Franklin) today with Aggie great Jay Arnold. Shout out to Jordan Jackson for always showing us the best in hospitality.

Now that's a plate!
Coming back to TX for a couple weeks in Jul and am going to have to swing by. It's been probably damn near 10 years since I've been, do you still have to get there early on Tuesdays and Wednesday?
AggieFabricator
I got the debit card if you got the time.
Beef Cheek
AG
We got in line at about 11:30 today, sat that tray down on the table at 12:45.
Johnsy3
AG
I finally got to try Franklin at a bach party last month and the brisket definitely lived up to the hype. It was pretty incredible
RC_57
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Their carrot souffle is my favorite BBQ side
Agreed.

Always selected for one of my sides when I go there.

Half-way related sidenote, I've had a chance to hit a few H-town area B-B-Q joints recently (within the last 2 weeks).

My assessment:

1. Burns Original BBQ (Acres Homes area): 2-meat plate, brisket (moist), and link of sausage, dirty rice, and potato salad. Not planning on returning, but if I did, I would only get the sausage.

2. Killen's BBQ in the woodlands: 2-meat plate, brisket (moist), and link of sausage, green beans, and brussel sprouts. The brisket, way to fatty even for a "moist" cut. Sausage-Meh, green beans- bland. Sprouts, pretty good.

3. Tejas in Tomball: 2-meat plate, brisket (moist), Kielbasa sausage link and carrot souffle (pretty much my go to order when I go there). Thumbs up on all. And while I was there (last Friday), saw a (one, single) rib order sitting on the tray at the pic-up window. It was pretty damn big, and looked pretty damn good. Gonna have to make sure and make a Friday trip pout there soon and have one of those.

Your findings may vary
CDub06
AG
RC_57 said:

3. Tejas in Tomball: 2-meat plate, brisket (moist), Kielbasa sausage link and carrot souffle (pretty much my go to order when I go there). Thumbs up on all. And while I was there (last Friday), saw a (one, single) rib order sitting on the tray at the pic-up window. It was pretty damn big, and looked pretty damn good. Gonna have to make sure and make a Friday trip pout there soon and have one of those.
MY dude...you are missing out on the best sausage in Texas. You've got to get that chile relleno sausage next time. It's phenomenal.
CDub06
AG
Side note: Most of my time is out of state or home with the kid, so my days of the Texas barbecue trail are in my rear-view mirror

However, on the topic of Killen's. I am at that Killens in The Woodlands almost every Sunday. It is a bit more inconsistent than I remember the original being, but it usually bottoms out at merely "Good." My normal order is brisket, ribs, brussels sprouts, and greens. The greens are my favorite side. My wife loves the mac & cheese. Sometimes I'll add sausage or turkey - both are very good. If we've got company, we'll throw on some other features like burnt ends. I'm not crazy about their pork belly burnt ends honestly.

All that to say that some of their best features aren't on their main menu. Their brisket birria tacos are delicious. But their Nashville chicken sandwich is top tier stuff. As much as I love their brisket, it's tough not to order that sandwich. It's usually like a 10 minute wait for the sandwich, but it's worth it.

From Sunday:
RC_57
AG
CDub06 said:

RC_57 said:

MY dude...you are missing out on the best sausage in Texas. You've got to get that chile relleno sausage next time. It's phenomenal.
Think I had it once and wasn't impressed, but based on your input I'll give it another try

Probably next Friday, when I venture there to get a rib.
RC_57
AG
CDub06 said:

Side note: Most of my time is out of state or home with the kid, so my days of the Texas barbecue trail are in my rear-view mirror

However, on the topic of Killen's. I am at that Killens in The Woodlands almost every Sunday. It is a bit more inconsistent than I remember the original being, but it usually bottoms out at merely "Good." My normal order is brisket, ribs, brussels sprouts, and greens. The greens are my favorite side. My wife loves the mac & cheese. Sometimes I'll add sausage or turkey - both are very good. If we've got company, we'll throw on some other features like burnt ends. I'm not crazy about their pork belly burnt ends honestly.

All that to say that some of their best features aren't on their main menu. Their brisket birria tacos are delicious. But their Nashville chicken sandwich is top tier stuff. As much as I love their brisket, it's tough not to order that sandwich. It's usually like a 10 minute wait for the sandwich, but it's worth it.

From Sunday:

Those slices of brisket look a ton better than the ones I had earlier this week.

Off day for them perhaps...
fav13andac1)c
AG
Stopped off at the brand new 42 BBQ in Richardson today and was pleasantly surprised. Brisket was tender and juicy, and the house made spicy sausage was great. Collard greens were a standout as well. All around great meal.

TexDill15
AG
Stopped in at Truth today in Brenham for a first time visit. Everything was delicious.

The health inspector showed up while I was there and the Sold Out sign went up. Hopefully it wasn't an issue with the food and just not having enough staff to interact with the inspector and serve guest so a 20 minute pause.
Saxsoon
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Stopped off at the brand new 42 BBQ in Richardson today and was pleasantly surprised. Brisket was tender and juicy, and the house made spicy sausage was great. Collard greens were a standout as well. All around great meal.

I am not far away, will check it out
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Stopped at Eaker in Fredericksburg for lunch today. Brisket and jalapeño cheese sausage. All pretty good stuff!
lawless89
TexDill15 said:

Stopped in at Truth today in Brenham for a first time visit. Everything was delicious.

The health inspector showed up while I was there and the Sold Out sign went up. Hopefully it wasn't an issue with the food and just not having enough staff to interact with the inspector and serve guest so a 20 minute pause.

I happened upon this place a few weeks ago by accident. Holy crap. Absolute best I've ever had. Sides were even phenomenal.
CowtownAg06
AG
They were open today. I didn't stop, but the line looked pretty manageable at 1145.
Jock 07
AG
So with greater availability of really solid bbq, are lines in general getting shorter across the board? Really jealous that this BBQ renaissance took place after I moved out of the state after school.
AggieFabricator
The bbq boom is infinite.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.