Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,222 Views | 3170 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Matsui
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are coming to h town for that thing with Khoi at the end of the month? I missed out on tickets but it sounds pretty awesome.
Beef Cheek
AG
I'm not going to make it. Bummed about missing that because Don is doing some special stuff and I love Houston.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Truth today. Meat was fantastic, sprouts were incredible and beans were way better than I expected.
Koldus131
AG
My goodness! Incredible how well Leonard has them humming along when just about every other week he's on the road for a BBQ festival.
Independence H-D
Those sprouts are the best I've ever had
rjones2688
Cattleack is my fav in Dallas. I make the 25 min drive just for bologna. All their meats are incredible. Sides as well.

I honestly put them above Goldees and I love Goldees.
AggieFabricator
Not In Texas, but tried out Moos Craft today after having Howling Rays for my first trip to LA, these dudes are doing it right. This platter could fit in in Texas with no issues. Brisket was great, ribs were good, but the barbacoa tacos were spectacular.
Beef Cheek
AG
Ok but how was Howlin Rays??
Jock 07
AG
Need to get down there and check out their new spot. What time were you there, are there lines? Grab some Monkish if you find yourself down near Torrance
Jock 07
AG
Not to speak for him but I thought it was pretty overrated when I got it a couple months ago. Granted that was still during the lockdown, and was only available via one of the delivery services.
AggieFabricator
Beef Cheek said:

Ok but how was Howlin Rays??

It was the best chicken/hot chicken sandwich I've had, but I haven't had a lot of other places outside of the state. Sides were great, except for the greens. I kept it on the mild-medium side but did try a fried quarter with hot.
We went across the corridor and got a Amboy Burger and it was great too.
beatlesphan
AG
Went to Goldees today. Arrived at 945, about 20 people ahead of us in line, I was as eating at 1130.

What I appreciated was that everything tasted as if there was a lot of thought/effort into making it as good as possible. Like the bread , pickles, banana pudding were so so good. I got potato salad and grits which were both excellent. As far as the meat goes, I thought their pork ribs were the best, followed by brisket, followed by the beef rib. I did not get turkey or sausage. Their sauce was a little mustardy and very good.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JCRiley09
AG
Has anyone else who's been to goldees lately think that their sauce is a Salt Lick knockoff?
Beef Cheek
AG
Well now that you mention knockoff…
Cowboy Curtis
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Has anyone else who's been to goldees lately think that their sauce is a Salt Lick knockoff?
I thought knock off was the whole point of Goldees.
agcrock2005
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Well now that you mention knockoff…
Did any of them work at L&L?
Beef Cheek
AG
Lane and Jalen both worked at Freedmen's for Evan LeRoy.
Koldus131
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Freedmen's was a special place. I had an internship in Austin the summer of 17 and stayed in UT off campus housing. Some of my favorite memories of that summer were being able to get home from work, walk to Freedmen's, and get some outstanding BBQ at that bar.
rjones2688
Love Goldees. Meats, Sides especially the grits are fantastic.

Hate their banana pudding though. Just all Mush. I need wafers in mine

Hellburg in Waco & Cattleack in Dallas might be my fav Banana puddings.
BurnetAggie99
Going to be going to Distant Relatives in Austin next week. Some buddies that are coworkers going as we do our weekly BBQ meet up since we all work in Austin. Heard a lot of good things about them. It's the only Austin area place I haven't been to yet.
Beef Cheek
AG
Koldus131 said:

Beef Cheek said:

Freedmen's was a special place. I had an internship in Austin the summer of 17 and stayed in UT off campus housing. Some of my favorite memories of that summer were being able to get home from work, walk to Freedmen's, and get some outstanding BBQ at that bar.

At one point Freedman's had more talent in their pit room than maybe any place in history.

Evan LeRoy - L&L
Brad Robinson - L&L/Chud's
Chris McGee - Switch/Briscuits
Lane Milne - Micklethwait/Goldee's
Jalen Heard - Bangers/Goldee's
Joel Garcia - Terry Black's/Teddy's

Chris/Briscuits were too new to be considered for the Top 50, but he might be the best cook of them all.
Jock 07
AG
Lookin forward to reports from Heritage's festival
Cowboy Curtis
AG
The bar was top notch, to boot.
rjones2688
BurnetAggie99 said:

Going to be going to Distant Relatives in Austin next week. Some buddies that are coworkers going as we do our weekly BBQ meet up since we all work in Austin. Heard a lot of good things about them. It's the only Austin area place I haven't been to yet.

I went a few weeks ago. Thought it was blah all around. Hoping its better for you/

BurnetAggie99
10-4 thanks for the heads up. Going to check it off my list since this only place in Austin I haven't been to yet, so hopefully they on that day.

When I'm in my office in Austin and not working from home, I'll hit Valentina's, LA BBQ, Terry Black's routinely since easy to get to from work office
rjones2688
agcrock2005
AG
Appears you're a bbq instagram foodie based off your previous posts. No issues at all with that, just wondering how you heard of this thread. We getting famous outside of A&M?
rjones2688
rjones2688 said:

Love Goldees. Meats, Sides especially the grits are fantastic.

Hellburg in Waco & Cattleack in Dallas might be my fav Banana puddings.
rjones2688
agcrock2005 said:

Appears you're a bbq instagram foodie based off your previous posts. No issues at all with that, just wondering how you heard of this thread. We getting famous outside of A&M?
I moved to texas a few months ago from NYC. Was looking for bbq threads and stumbled upon this one. This has been the best one imo and the one that is most updated. Most threads go months without a new comment.

agcrock2005
AG
Awesome. Welcome to Texas...please don't turn our state into NYC.
rjones2688
rjones2688
agcrock2005 said:

Awesome. Welcome to Texas...please don't turn our state into NYC.
LOL i just eat and go to work. Don't have to worry about me
rjones2688
AggieFabricator
Jock 07 said:

Lookin forward to reports from Heritage's festival

Report is that California was awesome, and the festival was a great time. Favorite bite I had was a porkstrami sandwhich by The Bad Jew out LA. Didn't get many pics because I helped some buddies serve. Here's some pics of the spread we got from Heritage the day before.

wadd96
AG
Unfortunately had to miss this year... Be back for Year 3.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.