Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

439,367 Views | 3153 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by DiskoTroop
BurnetAggie99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know my grandfather would mix beef tallow & beef consomme to dress the meat when he'd serve it up
agcrock2005
AG
Sounds great. Was thinking about maybe mixing up some tallow with some bouillon for my next cook.
Beef Cheek
AG
They might have some lard they're adding to pork products
512Ag
AG
DonaldFDraper said:

What's Franklin like on a Friday or Saturday these days?

If we wanted to wait in line, what time do you need to be there?

Can you still place regular pickup orders or only larger catering size?

Heads up that SXSW starts today and runs through the 16th, so the line at Franklin will likely be longer than usual.
CyAg
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Yea it's definitely some beef

Here is a nice tallow option for the home cook.

https://www.southchicagopacking.com/products/wagyu-beef-tallow?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5tHC6cTjhAMVGDrUAR0koQwaEAAYASAAEgI_wvD_BwE

Delivered today and I'm looking forward to using it. Thanks!
agcrock2005
AG
Not trying to derail, but if you cook a lot of briskets and have trim/hard fat, it's very easy to make yourself. You're already paying for the fat so might as well.
Beef Cheek
AG
Exciting day at the L&L. Just got our new direct cooler trailer in place and it's beautiful.

Couple of custom Chud boxes with a little offset up front for burgers and sausage, and a custom burn "barrel" for hot coals.

BurnetAggie99
Sweet setup
tsuag10
AG
Very sweet setup, but looks like it could get just a tad warm in there when everything is rolling and it's 100 degrees outside.

BurnetAggie99
I'd definitely would consider spraying the metal roof with elastomeric coating like Henry Solar Flex. That stuff can lower things by 20 plus degrees as it has SPF & UV blocking properties. I have it on my cattle show barn and it works great.
Beef Cheek
AG
That is an excellent piece of information
fav13andac1)c
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Yea it's definitely some beef tallow.

Here is a nice tallow option for the home cook.

https://www.southchicagopacking.com/products/wagyu-beef-tallow?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5tHC6cTjhAMVGDrUAR0koQwaEAAYASAAEgI_wvD_BwE

Question for you. Do yall grind your fat before rendering?
Beef Cheek
AG
We do, yes
agcrock2005
AG
You didn't ask me, but I make a lot of tallow and it's much easier to render down if you send it through the grinder first. Also, your yield will be much higher if you pre-grind rather than leaving in chunks.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Beef Cheek said:

We do, yes

Thanks for the very prompt response. Have yall found a use for the resulting little crispies?

Thanks agcrock!
Beef Cheek
AG
We don't do anything with the little crispies, but I say throw it on a salad
ftworthag02
AG
Travis & Emma Heim have handed it over to will Churchill. The financial backers.
agcrock2005
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Travis & Emma Heim have handed it over to will Churchill. The financial backers.
Any more context here? Having financial troubles, wanted out of BBQ business, wanted to part ways with investors,etc.?
Koldus131
AG
More context here. I think they just wanted out and realized they could probably get a decent payday for the business.
ftworthag02
AG
sorry, I saw Bud Kennedys tweet and tried to read the Startlegram article but since I don't have a subscription I was not able to read. Maybe they are tired and wanted to spend more time w/ the kids or maybe they were offered a S ton of $ to hand it over. Maybe it sucks working w/ the Churchill group...?
maca1028
Tejas this morning, this one might be my new top BBQ joint in the Houston area. My expectations were high and they exceeded them. My only small critique was the sides, but in my opinion, sides at a BBQ joint are becoming a waste of time for me. Ended it off with a couple of Old Fashioned truffles.
NColoradoAG
maca1028 said:

Tejas this morning, this one might be my new top BBQ joint in the Houston area. My expectations were high and they exceeded them. My only small critique was the sides, but in my opinion, sides at a BBQ joint are becoming a waste of time for me. Ended it off with a couple of Old Fashioned truffles.

Get the carrot souffle next time. One of the best bbq side dishes in Texas IMO.
DiskoTroop
NColoradoAG said:

maca1028 said:

Get the carrot souffle next time. One of the best side dishes in Texas IMO.

Corrected that for you…
Beef Cheek
AG
Here to also say the carrot souffle is worth the trip
CyAg
AG
Feges hogfat cornbread is second only to Tejas carrot souffle in my book of sides.
CyAg
AG
Beef Cheek, tell me about your cornbread please.
maca1028
Noted. I must have had someone new behind the counter. I asked them to recommend a side and they went with cornbread casserole.
Beef Cheek
AG
CyAg said:

Beef Cheek, tell me about your cornbread please.

We've been making it with hog fat and blue corn meal from Barton Springs Mill. Still tweaking things, last week it came with a citrus whipped lard, this week it's a green tomato butter.

Very hit and Miss with customers right now, I'd call it a work in progress. It definitely looks wild
Beef Cheek
AG
Had some family come to LeRoy & Lewis this weekend and got a tray of chorizo sausage, brisket, chicken, pulled lamb and whole hog.

Didn't get a good picture of the sides tray unfortunately.
Beef Cheek
AG
Also I was at the Chud's HQ last night for some St. Patty's Day bangers and mash.
agfan2013
AG
Went to the Burnt Bean again last week, decided to get more "specialty" items since I've had the straight brisket, ribs, etc. several times.

El Tejano Taco - brisket on a tortilla with: crema, salsa, pickled onions, & queso fresco. Really good.

El Cinco sausage - really good link with poblano, pepperjack cheese, and "southwest seasoning/flavor". One of the best in house sausages in Texas bbq.

In house burger that's made to order. They sear it right on the blacktop after you order it. Fantastic bite, seriously a really good burger, and fries were good too. Also got the street corn which is one of my favorite sides in bbq.

All was really good, the el cinco sausage is very similar to the chile relleno sausage that Tejas does, similar flavors but the cinco has a bit more heat to it.

Finally, mostly unrelated to my trip but I saw Bill Dumas from Brothertons is now at Schultze's Pit Room in Seguin. Didn't make it over to see how he's crafting sausages at the new place, but just thought it was interesting he left Brothertons after being made partner. Between him leaving and John's death, it's gotta be hard for Brothertons to still be achieving the quality they were known for.

MrPlow2010
AG
Went to Butter's yesterday in Sinton. I didn't take a picture, but the brisket, Jal Cheese sausage, and turkey were all amazing. The sausage really stood out to me.
RED AG 98
AG
Pretty good plate at The Switch in Dripping. I'd give it a solid B. The brisket was just ok - I ordered fatty as always but this looked and felt more like flat to me. Ribs and beans are super duper black pepper forward so be warned if that isn't your thing. They're a touch over for me, and I'm the guy that takes the cap off the pepper shaker and covers my food usually. The jalapeno sausage, potato salad, and corn casserole always deliver.

cena05
AG
Dozier's meat market in Fulshear is closing, bummer.
BQRyno
AG
cena05 said:

Dozier's meat market in Fulshear is closing, bummer.

Dang really? They've been open forever. My parents live in Weston Lakes, so that's always been a good option for processing. I haven't eaten there lately but had heard good things about their new pit master.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.