Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,162 Views | 3170 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Matsui
Beef Cheek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes sir, that's the spot
BohunkAg
AG
13 Best BBQ Brunches in Texas is up

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/13-texas-barbecue-brunches/
SalesAg13
AG
Wow, thank you!!
CenTexSmoke
B's Cracklin is permanently closed unfortunately, but I hear he might have a new spot opening soon..
Matsui
AG
Thank you. I've been to a few. Great list.
tsuag10
AG
Baker Boys in Gonzales.

Their plate isn't going to win any beauty contests, but it was pretty good. This is the 3rd time I've been here, and it was probably the best. All the meats (brisket, pork ribs, and turkey) were awesome. The sides (cheesy potatoes and green beans) were kinda meh.

agcrock2005
AG
Go Rangers! Congrats Beef Cheeks on being famous.

aggie2812-2
AG
Who is Beef Cheeks? Guessing from Leroy and Lewis?
La Fours
AG
Yes, he works for Leroy and Lewis.
Beef Cheek
AG
Yea I'm the guy in the Rangers cap!

Forgot about this video, we actually just wrapped up year two of doing ACL. We sold about 7,000 corn dogs. Got word from our distributors that DKR would only get half their corn dog order for the month of October because of the shortage we caused.
BSD
AG
Bad ass. F them whorns.

I follow you on IG…love the hot dog posts. Cracks me up every time.
Beef Cheek
Beef Cheek
aggie2812-2
AG
What an awesome job to have!
wadd96
AG
Tell me you've never worked a BBQ (or restaurant) shift without telling youve ever worked a BBQ (or restaurant) shift....
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Beef Cheek
AG
Lol it's tough (especially in the summer) but still awesome
La Fours
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Yea I'm the guy in the Rangers cap!

Forgot about this video, we actually just wrapped up year two of doing ACL. We sold about 7,000 corn dogs. Got word from our distributors that DKR would only get half their corn dog order for the month of October because of the shortage we caused.

aggie2812-2
AG
What does having a cool job have to do with hard work? I have no doubt it's hard but still pretty cool job if you ask me.
justnobody79
the actual prepping, cooking, and serving is the enjoyable part to me even though it can be a lot of work. it is the dealing with employee drama and dealing with the general public that is a beatdown.
BohunkAg
AG
I had a guy who owned a restaurant one time tell me that if you owned a place (and I'll clean up his language), you "had to be married to the SOB 24/7." His rationale was that you had to look over every aspect of it, quality, customer service, employees, making sure no one was skimming from you, etc. He got to the point where he didn't want to deal with it. This is one person's perspective, but after hearing that from someone I admired, I really have come to have a lot of respect for people who run really good restaurants.
NColoradoAG
I've always thought it would be great to own a bbq joint, but the only way I would do it is if I was basically retired and financially independent. Basically like Todd David at Cattleack. Just 2 days a week for lunch.
Beef Cheek
AG
Got lunch with Evan LeRoy at Stiles Switch today, had a nice chat with Shane.

Sides were fantastic: cucumbers, Brussels sprouts, beans and corn pudding. (Their corn pudding is one of my all time favorites) brisket was perfect, the ribs were beyond phenomenal. Amazing experience as always.

agcrock2005
AG
Cool the comraderie you guys have for your competitors. You could have easily said that brisket was dry and I would have believed you.
jja79
AG
I'll probably get blasted for this but that brisket looks really dry.
DiskoTroop
Those ribs do look Fire though
BurnetAggie99
Shane & his wife are great people & Aggie Grads. Also Lance Kirkpatrick does a great job cut his teeth at Louie Mueller.
BurnetAggie99
I went to The Granary in Jarrell TX. Was one of the last BBQ places that John Mueller started. Since his passing John's longtime best friend that's been cooking with John Jeff Ancira has taken it over. I can vouch that Jeff is carrying on the Mueller BBQ style & keeping the Mueller style going. They only open on the weekends but get out there if you can cause some great BBQ out there. Brisket, pork ribs, beef ribs, boudin and so forth is on point.

Beef Cheek
AG
jja79 said:

I'll probably get blasted for this but that brisket looks really dry.

That brisket looks dry because it was sitting out for a little bit and oxidized before I took a pic, but it was a fantastic cook. The lean reminded me of my last trip to Franklin
Koldus131
AG
Beautiful tray of dinner BBQ at Hurtado tonight before watching the Rangers win it all at the Globe Life watch party!
CowtownAg06
AG
That's a great night.
DiskoTroop
Corkscrew for lunch today. Brisket, potato salad and pickles was fantastic. Sausage was average and ribs were a hair disappointing honestly.

Worth the wait for the brisket though. It was near perfect.

Beef Cheek
AG
That looks fantastic
DiskoTroop
Beef Cheek said:

That looks fantastic

Absolutely agreed. Looked 14/10. Brisket was on par with some of the best I've ever had. Ate some left overs earlier and I may have short changed the sausage. It was pretty good. Better than average.
jja79
AG
I think they're consistently excellent with brisket. I really like the sausage and the potato salad is my favorite. Not sure what they do with PS but it's great. The peach and cherry cobbler are both very good.
schmendeler
AG
Corkscrew is my #1 but it's mostly personal preference compared to a lot of other top places.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.