Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,249 Views | 3170 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Matsui
NColoradoAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tsuag10 said:

Tejas Chocolate & BBQ for my first time today.
Everything was really good, but I was especially impressed with the pork belly (far left) and the carrot souffle (bottom left). Very good overall.

Dude. How can you skip the chile relleno sausage!?!
JCRiley09
AG
In today's instagram dominated world, Tejas would benefit from smaller trays for individual orders
tsuag10
AG
JCRiley09 said:

In today's instagram dominated world, Tejas would benefit from smaller trays for individual orders
It's funny I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw the tray.
rolling_ridgeag05
Definitely get the Chile Rellano sausage next time.

And I thought I ate BBQ a lot but after lurking on this thread for a while Tsuag takes it to a new extreme. Much respect.
tsuag10
AG
Well, I travel almost weekly for work and I get to expense all my meals. It's a labor of love.
CenTexSmoke
I eat BBQ 1-2 times a week, I rarely post it here because I always forget haha I've been on Texags for ten years, this is the best thread I've ever found.
Beef Cheek
AG
Almost forgot I had BBQ for lunch yesterday! Had a friend visiting from abroad, so had to show off the L&L spread. Everything was pretty good if you ask me
CaptnCarl
AG
I need some detail here. Am I looking at a burger on the far right?

How long is your line on Saturdays?
Beef Cheek
AG
Burger cut in half on the far right.

Main tray has cheeks, barbacoa, pulled whole hog, and a special Italian sausage.

Sides tray was jalapeño corn pudding, chorizo potatoes, kale slaw and kimchi.

Lines have been pretty long on Saturdays and Sunday, I'd suggest arriving around 10am
CaptnCarl
AG
Looks and sounds delicious. I am needing to schedule a visit.
schmendeler
AG
That looks fantastic
DatTallArchitect
AG
I just ate lunch and you're making me hungry again
Cowboy Curtis
AG
CaptnCarl said:

I need some detail here. Am I looking at a burger on the far right?

How long is your line on Saturdays?

Best burger in Austin. Hands down!
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Is the corn pudding new?

Side note…please put the chorizo potatoes in a smoked beef tallow flour tortilla, with any style egg, drizzled with the green sauce. Oh lawd.
MAROON
AG
meant to go to Roegel's for pastrami Thursday today but the morning got away from me, and I got out of the office way too late to drive over. I settled on The Brisket House on Augusta. Honestly, I'm a fan of the place. Decent prices and their special with two meats, a pickle and a big piece of cheese is all I want. Today their brisket was very good - sorry no pics
DiskoTroop
MAROON said:

meant to go to Roegel's for pastrami Thursday today but the morning got away from me, and I got out of the office way too late to drive over. I settled on The Brisket House on Augusta. Honestly, I'm a fan of the place. Decent prices and their special with two meats, a pickle and a big piece of cheese is all I want. Today their brisket was very good - sorry no pics
I feel they go unmentioned RE Houston BBQ Scene discussions too frequently. They do a good job.
sanitariex
AG
Tomorrow is annual BEEF day, where my neighbor and I go out to Weatherford to pick up a cow to stock the freezer, and hit up some BBQ. last year was Panther City, tomorrow is Dayne's. I'm definitely jumping on that burger you guys posted a while back.
Beef Cheek
AG
Yea, corn pudding is just a one of special this week.
sanitariex
AG
That burger is legit, brisket was great, but nothing spectacular, bacon brisket and sausage was lights out. Corn was amazing, banana bourbon delight and cookie butter bliss was also pretty spectacular.
AgsWin2011
AG
sanitariex said:

That burger is legit, brisket was great, but nothing spectacular, bacon brisket and sausage was lights out. Corn was amazing, banana bourbon delight and cookie butter bliss was also pretty spectacular.

I had the same opinion you did. However, and I know this sounds weird, the brisket was actually better the next day when I warmed it up.

I passed on the bacon brisket because I replicated it at home when Dayne and Matt from Meat Church put out the video on YouTube making this. It was pretty damn good but I'm sure he can do it better than me.
wadd96
AG
Please explain to me how the brisket was great but not spectacular...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
AgsWin2011
AG
wadd96 said:

Well those weren't my words they were the other posters words.

When I had it, it was good and tender, just not as flavorful as other places I've had like Terry Black's, Snow's, etc. Maybe it was just the day we went. Sorry if I offended anyone.
sanitariex
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

wadd96 said:

Well those weren't my words they were the other posters words.

When I had it, it was good and tender, just not as flavorful as other places I've had like Terry Black's, Snow's, etc. Maybe it was just the day we went. Sorry if I offended anyone.

This.
NColoradoAG
wadd96 said:

It's a spectrum:

Firecraft
Average
Good
Great
Awesome
Amazing
Spectacular
Insane

Mathguy64
AG
That thing you did. I see it.
agcrock2005
AG
Pretty sure you put Firecraft on the wrong end of the spectrum?
tsuag10
AG
My evaluation scale is more simple.

Good (Maybe not good enough for Top 50)
Great (Good enough for Top 50)
Excellent (Top 25 quality)
Elite (Top 10 quality)
Aggie09Derek
AG
Mine is fairly binary

If worse than Rudy's….just go to Rudy's

If better than Rudy's…solid Q
tremble
AG
Picking up my daughter from camp in NW Austin today. What's the wait at Interstellar generally look like? Is it absolutely insane? Would be me, my wife, and our 10 month old daughter
JCRiley09
AG
You sent a 10 month old off to camp?!
tremble
AG
JCRiley09 said:

You sent a 10 month old off to camp?!

Starting that track of iron-willed discipline early.
jah003
S
tremble said:

Picking up my daughter from camp in NW Austin today. What's the wait at Interstellar generally look like? Is it absolutely insane? Would be me, my wife, and our 10 month old daughter
Doesn't help you at this point… but get there before 10:30 and you're golden. We usually get there between 9:30-10 and are generally first in line. Grab a picnic table and play some games. Also helps that I live like .5 miles away.
tremble
AG
We are waiting in line, might be 45 minutes total so not too bad. What do you recommend we order?
NColoradoAG
tremble said:

We are waiting in line, might be 45 minutes total so not too bad. What do you recommend we order?

All the sausages and all the desserts.
FredMc92
Other than your basic meats( which are all very good), you got to get those smoked scalloped potatoes.

Desserts are excellent too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.