Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

434,175 Views | 3133 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by CowtownAg06
Aggie Therapist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I remember securing this bad boy when I was new to the Army, thinking I had just struck gold….

Brisket is on a spectrum
jja79
AG
I'm not getting tricked by sides. It's all about the brisket.
RED AG 98
AG
Super fast-growing segment the last decade, coupled with this "transitory" inflation of the last couple of years. Not a great recipe for continued expansion.
agfan2013
AG
Bulldog73 said:

I saw someone say on here a few months back that essentially we've reached a critical mass in brisket and the meats and the differentiation will come in the sides, and I have to say that I agree.

We went to the OG Truth this weekend, and it was very good, but the sides were more of a classic style and just fine. There's room for that, but it's hard to be elite in today's game with that. IMO of course.

That's definitely the case now, all these joints have gotten good at pumping out great brisket, ribs, sausage, etc. that it's the sides, desserts, & specialty items that help set you apart from the crowd.

It's interesting to me because I've never seen someone accuse Truth of having boring sides though. When I think classic sides it's the three staples of: Cole slaw, potato salad, and beans. Truth was one of the first places to do more specialty sides and the homemade desserts the guy's mom was baking. They also have collard greens, corn casserole, and Mac n cheese with bacon at that Brenham spot, and even more options in Houston. I don't know that I'd say they have just classic sides, it's part of what got them #10 on the 2017 list and #3 on 2021.

jja79 said:

I'm not getting tricked by sides. It's all about the brisket

While the meats are still the primary reason to go, y'all "no sides, protein only" guys are missing out on some phenomenal sides. As mentioned above, this ain't the bbq joints from decades ago where sides were an afterthought, there are some super tasty and unique sides these days.
AustinCountyAg
agree. Truth was one of the first pumping out elevated sides. Their tator tot casserole is the *****
Bulldog73
AG
You're right. My phrasing was very poor there. Going to the Brenham location, they branched out of slaw, beans, and potato salad which I appreciated. At this point, most top of the "top" places will have mac, corn, and some sort of greens, but hearing from y'all, it seems like they were some of the leaders in making that become more of the standard.

I didn't get any dessert, and I probably failed in that regard.
DatTallArchitect
AG
jja79 said:

Who's being tricked by sides? Do you not like the brisket at Goldees, Leroy and Lewis, Panther City, Burnt Bean, etc?
jja79
AG
You lost me there.
jja79
AG
I like sides. They aren't why I go to a place though.
agcrock2005
AG
jja79 said:

Well thanks to the bbq revolution of the last 15 years or so, there's about 200 bbq joints now that can cook brisket like Franklin's and Snows so you're in luck.
jja79
AG
Unfortunately none near me.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Your post insinuates BBQ restaurants that have great sides are masking bad brisket. I'm asking you to defend that statement.
ChipFTAC01
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6k_Xx0u2vF/?igsh=MThwa29nM3ByYTJ4
Streetfighter 02
AG
Went to Burnt Bean yesterday for lunch. It does not disappoint. Ordered the special Moroccan Lamb Ribs and they were possibly the best lamb dish I've ever had. Guisada tacos were legit. Brisket was also fantastic. They also have one of the best bbq sides with the bacon ranch potatoes.
jja79
AG
I didn't say anything of the sort. I said I don't get sidetracked by sides. I'm focused on great BBQ and have found those places make good sides too.
DatTallArchitect
AG
jja79 said:

I didn't say anything of the sort. I said I don't get sidetracked by sides. I'm focused on great BBQ and have found those places make good sides too.

Your post saying "I'm not being tricked by sides" was in response to the post below, so it definitely implies that good sides are there to compensate for sub-par brisket.

Bulldog73 said:

I saw someone say on here a few months back that essentially we've reached a critical mass in brisket and the meats and the differentiation will come in the sides, and I have to say that I agree.

We went to the OG Truth this weekend, and it was very good, but the sides were more of a classic style and just fine. There's room for that, but it's hard to be elite in today's game with that. IMO of course.
NColoradoAG
DatTallArchitect said:

jja79 said:

Your post saying "I'm not being tricked by sides" was in response to the post below, so it definitely implies that good sides are there to compensate for sub-par brisket.

Bulldog73 said:

I think you are reading way too much into the word "tricked"
DatTallArchitect
AG
NColoradoAG said:

DatTallArchitect said:

jja79 said:

Bulldog73 said:

I think you are reading way too much into the word "tricked"
Words do have meaning. Which meaning would you like to use?

Tricked: past tense of trick

Trick:
a: a crafty procedure or practice meant to deceive or defraud
b: a mischievous act : PRANK
c: a deceptive, dexterous, or ingenious feat
CowtownAg06
AG
Any one been to the new Pit Room yet?

Also, thanks to to the poster who shared the article about Truth helping others. I loved it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.