Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

439,423 Views | 3153 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by DiskoTroop
CenTexSmoke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very good, very different. Really enjoyed it when I went a few weeks back.
JCRiley09
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Hurtados has a Fort Worth location at Rosedale and 8th. I've never been so can't speak to the line situation

Okay I went to the FW Hurtados today. At 12:30 on a Wednesday there was no line at all. Honestly, it was good, but not great. The birria tacos were the star, but not necessarily worth the trip. The brisket was okay, especially in the fatty bits, but mostly tasted like nothing but pepper. Pork belly burnt ends were good, the tortillas were bomb, and the beans were pretty good too.

tldr: This is a great bbq spot for a lunch break. But if I were doing a FW bbq pilgrimage, I would skip this place.
fav13andac1)c
AG
CenTexSmoke said:

Very good, very different. Really enjoyed it when I went a few weeks back.

Nice. Lamb ribs and shoulder sound unique and delicious.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Anyone else think Truth is slipping a bit?

Last couple times I've got the brisket is good but not great. Didn't take picture for evidence.
Koldus131
AG
Haven't been to Houston location in over a year, but it wouldn't totally surprise me. They've expanded hours, are constantly hitting the festival circuit hard, and Leonard is also focused on a new venture in Round Top. Will say though whenever I've been to Brenham in the last year it's been phenomenal.
Aggie09Derek
AG
The expanded hours started yesterday, granted I went at noon yesterday - so maybe a bit off for whole day due to it.
BohunkAg
AG
NColoradoAG said:

BohunkAg said:

agfan2013 said:

Had a late lunch at Tejas yesterday. I've had their samples at the bbq festivals, but first time for the full restaurant experience. I remember the controversy when they were top 10 on the 2017 list.

Meats were good, but nothing truly stellar (outside of the Chile relleno sausage, that's an amazing bite), but the sides and desserts really stood out. Carrot souffl is probably in my top 5 favorite bbq sides now and the cornbread casserole was great as well.
When the carrot souffle is the best thing at a BBQ restaurant, I think we've lost the plot here.

The Chile Rellano sausage is the best thing at Tejas. Probably the best sausage in the state IMO.
Them's fightin' words. You're talking to a (now) old Bohemian whose grandfather, uncles and cousins have always made their own sausage.
jja79
AG
Not really BBQ related so much but today I was at Joe's Real BBQ in Gilbert, Arizona when a guy walks in wearing an A&M cap. After he sat down i went over to see if he was an Aggie or just found the cap. Turns out he's class of '89 and just flew in today for a year long construction project. As soon as he saw me walking his way he looked for my ring and held up his. We're everywhere.
NColoradoAG
BohunkAg said:

NColoradoAG said:

BohunkAg said:

agfan2013 said:

Had a late lunch at Tejas yesterday. I've had their samples at the bbq festivals, but first time for the full restaurant experience. I remember the controversy when they were top 10 on the 2017 list.

Meats were good, but nothing truly stellar (outside of the Chile relleno sausage, that's an amazing bite), but the sides and desserts really stood out. Carrot souffl is probably in my top 5 favorite bbq sides now and the cornbread casserole was great as well.
When the carrot souffle is the best thing at a BBQ restaurant, I think we've lost the plot here.

The Chile Rellano sausage is the best thing at Tejas. Probably the best sausage in the state IMO.
Them's fightin' words. You're talking to a (now) old Bohemian whose grandfather, uncles and cousins have always made their own sausage.

Bring it on! Fighting is all we do in this thread.
BohunkAg
AG
NColoradoAG said:

BohunkAg said:

NColoradoAG said:

BohunkAg said:

agfan2013 said:

Bring it on! Fighting is all we do in this thread.
I'm kidding. I'm sure it's awesome.
RAM700BA
AG
Burnt Bean in the morning.
CyAg
AG
agfan2013 said:

Huge fan of Tejas, I've never seen brisket like that from there... did you order moist?
DatTallArchitect
AG
It looks rather lean
RAM700BA
AG

El Cinco

Made a trip to Burnt Bean today for a family lunch. I'm a little biased, but it's the best bbq place in the state. Probably the planet. Everything they serve is great. The meats are consistently top tier. The sides and desserts are unique and delicious. They serve great non bbq items frequently like chicken tortilla soup, pozole, menudo, gumbo, duck, lamb, chicken and dumplings, burgers and more. The staff is friendly and take pride in their work. The location, line, and parking are easy and the building is beautiful.

Some standouts today outside of the usual brisket and ribs.

• Pork steak is perfect. Wouldn't change a single thing.
  • The pork steak came with "Shiner Rice" and it was the best side I had today. Talked with him for a bit about it and he was telling us how he was inspired by a Czech rice dish he's had at little church functions/potluck style stuff in the area. He brought in a guy to teach him how to make it and he put his own spin on it. Hope it's a staple menu item going forward.
  • The El Cinco is the real deal and lives up to the hype. I don't blame Chef Ernest for wanting to keep it a secret because other pitmasters and content creators will be copying it as soon as they can.
  • Love the pickled okra they offer along with the jalapeños, pickles, and onions.
  • They sell koozies now! I'm a koozie/sticker collector so I was excited about that.
Koldus131
AG
You need a NSFW warning at the beginning of this post
agcrock2005
AG
DiskoTroop
That looks fabulous
CowtownAg06
AG
Is the Shiner rice next to the pork steak? What exactly is the the cinco?
RAM700BA
AG
Yeah the Shiner rice is at the bottom right of the pork steak plate.

Some things I learned about El Cinco are it's a beef based sausage. The name comes from the number of batches he made before landing on a recipe when experimenting with the ingredients. Im not an expert at discerning ingredients though. It's got some cheese, some sort of pepper, and some other tasty stuff. Texture and moisture is great. I'll let Ernest divulge the full details when he wants to.
agfan2013
AG
Yep, 1/4 pound of moist.

It wasnt terrible but probably was the worst meat on the tray. Turkey was good, boudin was decent, barbacoa taco was solid, chile relleno was great. Like I said, mostly decent/good meats but nothing that stood out to us when comparing to other places ive been like Truth, Franklin, BB, 2M, etc.
CenTexSmoke
He told me last Friday basically he wanted the spice/flavor profile on an amazing southwest style tamale in a sausage link. I think he hit the mark as well.
RAM700BA
AG
CenTexSmoke said:

He told me last Friday basically he wanted the spice/flavor profile on an amazing southwest style tamale in a sausage link. I think he hit the mark as well.

Yup, heard the same stuff.
CyAg
AG
I agree with you, it doesn't look great at all for moist... looks like an order of lean.
tsuag10
AG
That pork steak is amazing and I'm mad that I only learned about it on my last visit. Sooooo good.
JohnnyShotgun
Skipping dinner tonight and now clicking on this thread was a huge mistake! HUGE!
Big Al 1992
AG
Had another excellent brisket and Turkey lunch at 1775. In my top 5.
Wicked Good Ag
Big Al 1992 said:

Had another excellent brisket and Turkey lunch at 1775. In my top 5.
Honestly the smoked turkey is one of my favorite BBQ bites I have had in Texas

I have had better other things such as brisket and better sides but 1775 is ideal BBQ for someone who doesnt want to travel outside of BCS area and if i was to make a tray of the best of Texas items a slice of that turkey would be on the tray
rjones2688
Quinn
AG
Daniel Vaughn says that a 25 best "new and improved" list is dropping tomorrow. Keep it on here or start a new thread?
Saxsoon
AG
I kind of just like this being the official thread all things bbq but I understand
TXAG 05
AG
I agree to keep it here. No telling who could be on the "new and improved" list, or what metrics they used to make it.
wadd96
AG
Snob is just that... A snob.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Quinn
AG
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/25-best-new-improved-bbq-joints-texas/
BohunkAg
AG
wadd96 said:

Snob is just that... A snob.
I met him once at a wedding. He seemed really nice.
CDub06
AG
I'll say there are a few no-brainers on there (Barbs, Reese Bros). But wow, most of these places weren't even on my radar. South Texas making a showing too!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.