Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

439,347 Views | 3153 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by DiskoTroop
Pro Sandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Passed through Ozona the other day and ate at Wagon Wheel. Had it one ither time in 2013, so wasn't sure if it would be the same. Absolutely the best brisket I've ever had.

The inside is better than it used it be. Last time was just tables with crock pots scattered. Now had food warmers. No tables inside or out so we ate in the car.
Jock 07
AG
Been to dreamland in Montgomery and assuming it's the same outfit, I was very unimpressed.
Jock 07
AG
Not too bad for a lunch in the office.
DiskoTroop
That looks great. Where from?
Jock 07
AG
Chuckwagon 719. They usually set up their trailer just down the street from my office on Thursdays and Fridays. Quite convenient.
DiskoTroop
I know there's some Victoria Ag's in here. Anyone been to LaVaca? Thinking we may stop for lunch Thursday on the way to South Texas for a dove hunt. Worth it?
tsuag10
AG
One of the handful of Top 50 joints open on Mondays (that I'm aware of). Hays County BBQ in San Marcos.

Brisket had great flavor but was a little underdone. Ribs were sweet, peppery, and very tender.

I love stopping here because there's hardly ever a significant line and it's always fairly solid. It's also right along my route from SA to Austin, so it's convenient for me.

CDub06
AG
Since we're discussing solid Monday barbecue options. The Pit Room is a hit.

They used to be one of my favorites in Houston, but then went downhill a bit. This is my first time back in a couple of years and they were back to form.

Koldus131
AG
My favorite thing about the Pit Room is how you can get a 2/3 meat plate with two sides and then make one of the sides tortilla chips. They have some really good salsa, and chips and salsa with good BBQ is a nice change of pace and feels very Texan.
Koldus131
AG
https://www.facebook.com/EvieMaesBarbecue/posts/pfbid0iBRrz4uAaCLaN2ZRwB3kjsgzPGwo4tm7gYRyHeTR2MyX8hqLDDWq9FoHhbcAtg7ml

Don't think I ever saw this posted here. Interesting words from a top ten BBQ joint in the state.

I often wonder with the explosion of craft BBQ and skyrocketing prices how some of these smaller less popular joints have been able to stay in business. It seems even the best of the best are having their struggles.
RED AG 98
AG
Video follow-up posted today:

Koldus131
AG
Yep, just started listening to that and went to find the original facebook post
DiskoTroop
What has the Biden economy done to beef prices? That's more relevant.
BurnetAggie99
That's my only post rant over back to BBQ.
Beef Cheek
AG
Should have post this on Sunday. Had lunch with the great Jay Arnold at Mum Food's in North Austin. Ribs were perfectly cooked, loved the simple beef sausage, and had the fanciest chopped beef sandwich of my life.

tsuag10
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Video follow-up posted today:

That post and this video should be a must- read/watch for anyone who loves BBQ or good food from local businesses. I'm sure Beef Cheek and others can confirm, but his sentiments are very common these days among these business owners.
RED AG 98
AG
Just finished the video a bit ago and I totally agree. I supported a local establishment here in Central Texas last night for a special occasion (it was Monday evening so options were limited...)

$84.79 was the bill, for 2 adults and 1 child. We ordered 1# brisket, 2 jalapeno links, and 1 pint of potato salad (they were out of all other meats...). No soda, no beer, nothing else. It was good to very good, and I didn't have to cook all day so that's a plus.

Good news for them is even on a Monday night at 730pm the place was packed. But we all agreed it's getting more challenging to justify spending that amount of coin for very good. I know their costs have risen so it's fair, just disheartening how expensive it has gotten.

(And I say this as a supplier that has had to raise prices to OEMs no less than 4 times in the past 3 years, which is absolutely unheard of in my industry. It just sucks.)
BohunkAg
AG
DiskoTroop said:

It's not just beef prices.
DiskoTroop
BohunkAg said:

DiskoTroop said:

It's not just beef prices.
Absolutely agreed, but to keep this thread on topic... I narrowed it to beef.
Beef Cheek
AG
What if the global economic issues were far bigger than one man/one administration?
schmendeler
AG
And what if the US is actually faring better than most of other developed countries in regards to inflation?
htxag09
AG
So much for keeping this to the politics board
BurnetAggie99
Here back on track. Just stopped at Agape BBQ in Liberty Hill. Two meet plate Moist Brisket & Ribs with brisket Mac & Cheese.
wanderer
RED AG 98 said:

$84.79 was the bill, for 2 adults and 1 child. We ordered 1# brisket, 2 jalapeno links, and 1 pint of potato salad (they were out of all other meats...). No soda, no beer, nothing else.
Lets play Price is Right with this one
  • 1# brisket: $32
  • 2 jalapeno links: $10
  • 1 pint tater salad: $8
  • Tax/tip: $14
  • =$64

I'm struggling with this $84 price tag.
schmendeler
AG
That looks really good
BurnetAggie99
I like their BBQ and the owners are cool. I think they got a shot to make the next round Top 50 rankings. Between them and Warehouse BBQ and Meetery in Burnet I don't have to travel far for some good BBQ.

When I'm at work at my office at Austin Energy it's the same thing tons of great BBQ to pick from when I'm in the office
DiskoTroop
I'll play:

• 2 jalapeno links: $18
  • 1 pint tater salad: $9
  • Tax/tip: $14.44
  • =$73.45
justnobody79
wanderer said:

RED AG 98 said:

$84.79 was the bill, for 2 adults and 1 child. We ordered 1# brisket, 2 jalapeno links, and 1 pint of potato salad (they were out of all other meats...). No soda, no beer, nothing else.
  • =$64

was it delivered?
Chipotlemonger
AG
drinks?
979ag
AG
Y'all are forgetting the $2 matte sticker
RED AG 98
AG
wanderer said:

RED AG 98 said:

• =$64

I did forget one item -- 1 individual banana pudding since this was a birthday outing so you can add another $3.98 + tax and tip but you are still way off.

I chose this place for my birthday, we've been there a bunch and will go back. It still sucks how expensive EVERYTHING is which is all I attempting to get across. But since you asked:

1# brisket* - $41.99
2 links - $16.47 (marked at $27 / lb)
1 pt side - $8.50
1 mini dessert - $3.98
Tax - $5.85
Tip - $8
== $84.79

*The brisket was marked as $34.98 / lb on the chalk board so either that price was wrong or the cutter was heavy. We didn't care so didn't bother to find out which. And we pretty much ate it all so it was about the right amount of food. The point was simply that stuff is very expensive now. I know that is diesel, cattle, feed, fertilizer, wages and everything else in between.

ETA: He said very un-ironically as he literally renews the building lease today with rents up another 45% over the prior 3 year term
DiskoTroop
Yeah it sucks getting used to those kind of prices for bbq but when it's of the right quality, I'm agreeable to it... You figure Saltgrass Steakhouse charges $36 for a 16oz ribeye. Saltgrass does a decent job but they're not Pappas Bros or Ruths Chris, right? OK, so that's $36/lb, and that comes with one side and a salad.

I'll do a pound of world class brisket at the same price over a meal at Saltgrass any day. That's just how I look at it.
wadd96
AG
Arnis and Mallory are great people!
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
schwack schwack
AG
I don't know if it's been posted here or not - apologies if so - but Mimsy's Craft BBQ in Crockett has rebranded to Mimsy's eaterysmokehousecatering. There was an interesting article about it in the Houston Chronicle if you are a subscriber. Just like the Evie's guy - operating in a small town is hard.

Quote:

"(The change was necessary) especially in a small town where barbecue is considered a nostalgic, inexpensive pastime, as it should be," said Wade Elkins. "For the first two-and-a-half years, we had a concept designed for the enthusiasts only, and I think that created a disconnect for some who just want a place to enjoy good food and don't necessarily care about lists or what city has the best brisket."
agcrock2005
AG
I can't imagine running bbq place in this environment with the costs skyrocketing. Sad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.