Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,244 Views | 3170 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Matsui
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found this article and found it fascinating
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/seasoning-worst-kept-secret-texas-barbecue/

Lawry's is a common ingredient at Franklin's, Cattleack, and Goldee's
DiskoTroop
I used Lawry's on my last brisket and I wasn't super impressed (John Lewis seasoning.) Not sure I'm gonna do it again. Clearly others have better success with it than I do though, so it is probably more user error.
wadd96
AG
Kosher Salt, Course Black Pepper and Fiesta brand garlic pepper
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Buzzy
schmendeler said:

What's wrong with red?
Thought it was orange, then realized after your reply that the beam behind it is orange.

Probably the lighting...
Wild West Pimp Style
schmendeler
AG
Ah gotcha
wadd96
AG
So ready to hang out with the BBQ family this weekend! Look out Celina!

If y'all go, come find us at the Rossler's Blue Cord tent and say Howdy!
Jock 07
AG
Have a coworker headed to San Antonio (Randolph/Schertz area) and am trying to point him in the right direction for BBQ. He doesn't really want to mess with waiting in line for an hour so I'm assuming 2M & Pinkertons is out. Any recommendations for somewhere where there might be a small manageable line but still for some pretty solid BBQ? Bonus points for mexican restaurant recs as well.
BurnetAggie99
Reese Bros Barbecue - Great BBQ & they also have killer homemade tortillas instead of bread. Also salsa is outstanding.
https://www.reesebrosbbq.com/

For Mexican if he likes authentic tacos then Taquitos West Ave is the answer. Best tacos in SA IMO.
https://m.facebook.com/TaquitosWestAvenue1/
tsuag10
AG
225 Urban Smoke on Rittiman is pretty decent BBQ IMO. Probably not Top 50 caliber, but pretty good.

Fidelo's Mexican off Nacogdoches is my choice for no-frills good Tex-Mex. It's a real hole in the wall though, so don't expect nice.
rjones2688
BurnetAggie99 said:

Reese Bros Barbecue - Great BBQ & they also have killer homemade tortillas instead of bread. Also salsa is outstanding.
https://www.reesebrosbbq.com/

For Mexican if he likes authentic tacos then Taquitos West Ave is the answer. Best tacos in SA IMO.
https://m.facebook.com/TaquitosWestAvenue1/

I second that notion on reese bros.

IMO was way better than 2m and pinkertons during my visit to San Antonio
Martin Cash
AG
Jock 07 said:

Have a coworker headed to San Antonio (Randolph/Schertz area) and am trying to point him in the right direction for BBQ. He doesn't really want to mess with waiting in line for an hour so I'm assuming 2M & Pinkertons is out. Any recommendations for somewhere where there might be a small manageable line but still for some pretty solid BBQ? Bonus points for mexican restaurant recs as well.
Short drive to Burnt Bean Company in Seguin.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
Jock 07
AG
I was thinking that as well, but won't the lines there be pretty significant?
AggieFabricator
It's moves faster than you think, I bet it's a 45
Minute wait or so. Sunday is the best day to go in my opinion, get in line by 8:30 and it's usually less than a 20 minute wait. After 10 it's starts getting slammed. If going on a Saturday, I'd get in line at 11.
tsuag10
AG
Louie Mueller in Taylor today. I'm going to be real honest and say this is maybe only a small notch above Rudy's brisket. I've eaten here before, but today they were definitely off their game.

big-ag
AG
Was not impressed with the brisket when we went last year either. The beef rib was something else though.
Next Year is the Year
AG
For some reason each time I've been there I've had pretty much the same experience. The feel of the place and the beef ribs are both awesome but the brisket has never seemed top 50 to me.
tsuag10
AG
Agree on their beef rib. I've had it before and it's pretty much the standard I measure other beef ribs against.
Beef Cheek
AG
Made the double Lockhart trip to Kreuz and Smitty's today, ran into the Black twins finishing up lunch at Smitty's ha

Kreuz pork chops and Smitty's jalapeño sausage were the stars

CDub06
AG
Made it back out to Tejas after a long hiatus. They're just so, so good.

For the record: I got there at 10:10AM on a Saturday and grabbed Golden Ticket #8. Not too bad.
AggieFabricator
Damn no invite?
Beef Cheek
AG
I'm sorry, I should have hit you up. I wanna go to Luling soon, I'll let you know
AggieFabricator
BYA
Buzzy

Saw an ad for the Q BBQ Fest at Jerryworld

Do you know any of these pitmasters (outside of the Blacks)?

https://www.qbbqdallas.com/pitmasters

$119 for the all-you-can eat over 2.5 hours might be worth it is the food is good enough.
Wild West Pimp Style
BurnetAggie99
Some of the ones I've heard of outside Black's are Bryan McLarty who has 407 BBQ. Never eaten though at 407 BBQ.

Brandon Hurtado has Hurtado BBQ. I've ate there a couple times and it's very good. Similar to Valentina's in Austin, where you have traditional BBQ but some Tex-Mex infusion. I know he made the TX Monthly Top 50.

Mark Avalos has Slab BBQ. I've eaten there few times they have some really good BBQ sandwiches different styles/meats. Also pork ribs are real good and they do killer sides. Slab is a place that chooses to be a BBQ sandwich/rib place that also serves a lot of craft beer.

Joe Melig & Esaul Ramos have 2M BBQ it's a top 10 joint in the State in San Antonio. I've eaten there many times. Esaul cut his teeth as pit master at LA BBQ cooking up Mueller style BBQ before opening up 2M. Also nominated for James Beard award.
big-ag
AG
Anywhere worth visiting in Amarillo?
txag2008
AG
Tyler's BBQ & Wesley's Bean Pot are both solid
BurnetAggie99
Tyler's and Dyer's is only two places I've been. Tyler's is TX Monthly Top 50 & Central Texas style BBQ. Pretty good stuff at Tyler's.
jja79
AG
I don't live far from Tejas but don't go often. I've found it pretty good, not great until the last time when it was great. I think it's just too inconsistent.
TXAG 05
AG
jja79 said:

I don't live far from Tejas but don't go often. I've found it pretty good, not great until the last time when it was great. I think it's just too inconsistent.

I put them in the good, not great category. Had it a couple times and it just want anything special, definitely not worth the drive out there.
agcrock2005
AG
Funny story related to this thread and the subjectiveness of bbq rankings. A neighbor of mine knows how much I enjoy bbq and we've talked about local places that I haven't been to, and Hurtado's is one of them that I want to try. He went last week and sent me the picture below and said he thinks "it's good but Panther CIty is better". I told him his opinion didn't count because he ordered a freakin sausage sandwich...who the F gets a sausage sandwich?

I'll be trying some of this. I always order a slice of brisket, couple ribs and little sausage and then a side or two. Anyone been here yet and have recommendations?

Quinn
AG
I've been there, but I had a breakfast taco and a side of elotes so I don't think that my vote counts. It was pretty good, though!
agfan2013
AG
I've been and Hurtado BBQ is my favorite of the places I've tried in the D/FW area (Hurtado, Panther City, Hutchins). Ribs and elotes were the two favorite things I had there when I stopped by earlier this year.

I agree that I wouldn't put much stock into someone opinion who goes and gets a sandwich of anything for ranking a place.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Interesting point of discussion. Does a sandwich disqualify a BBQ place from being an acceptable recommendation? I don't think so.

I could see the argument that it wouldn't be a good barometer for ranking one BBQ place over another. But I love a good brisket sandwich, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a bbq place if I enjoyed theirs. If the sandwich is good, odds are the rest of it is probably good as well.
DatTallArchitect
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

I could see the argument that it wouldn't be a good barometer for ranking one BBQ place over another.
That is the argument being made, and I agree. Having a sandwich on the menu is more than acceptable. It's just not good for judging a restaurant, IMO
wadd96
AG
Evaluating an entire restaurant by a single meet sandwich makes no sense. The measure of a good BBQ place, or any restaurant for that matter, is being consistently good across multiple offerings.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.