Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,252 Views | 3170 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Matsui
AggieFabricator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DFW folks, go check out Daynes food (and brand pit). This sucker got set on the ground just as the weather was turning to crap. I'm planning to come back in a few weeks to eat and hang out, if some fellow texags guys would like to meet up for a BBQ crawl.
agcrock2005
AG
That looks like a very interesting/badass firebox...what's going on there??
AggieFabricator
We utilize dampers on our firebox door, one of the few to do it. Thanks to the influence my dad (the best fabricator I've even seen) and influences from the machine shops I cut my teeth in, you get what you see there. We utilize a internal damper in the stack as well. Better lighting for reference. Not trying to hijack the thread.
agcrock2005
AG
That looks incredible! Very cool.
Koldus131
AG
I'll likely be down if I'm in town
TejasAg
AG
Stopped by LeRoy and Lewis for lunch today and grabbed a beef cheek sandwich with kimchi and beet bbq sauce. Nice little side of pork hash and rice on a cold wet day in Austin. These guys are doing great creative stuff over here if you didn't know already.
It was good to meet you Beef Cheek.
AggieFabricator
That pork hash is special.
Beef Cheek
AG
Hey thanks for swinging by in the rain! Was good meeting you
Troy91
AG
Just realized that LeRoy and Lewis is close enough to my office to make a lunch run.

Adding to my list of places to visit soon.
Independence H-D
The brisket boudin is flipping amazing.
Hwy30East
Went to lunch at Truth yesterday. We Got there when they opened and had about a hour wait in line before we got to order. Had the brisket and Ribs. Brisket was good, but the pork ribs were probably some of the best I've ever had. I'm not one to usually wait in lines for food, but I was definitely not disappointed. Everyone in our group really enjoyed it.
htxag09
AG
Hwy30East said:

Went to lunch at Truth yesterday. We Got there when they opened and had about a hour wait in line before we got to order. Had the brisket and Ribs. Brisket was good, but the pork ribs were probably some of the best I've ever had. I'm not one to usually wait in lines for food, but I was definitely not disappointed. Everyone in our group really enjoyed it.

I love truth and am probably a little spoiled as I live a mile from the houston location and work from home a lot of days. I won't go fri-sun. Midweek it's about a 10 minute wait. Or was, who knows what the publishing of this list does every year.
CowtownAg06
AG
It's only every 4 years but I'd expect a change in wait time for a while. Truth's online order and pick up is super smooth though.
Quinn
AG
Got to Valentina's around 10:45am this morning and had an hour or so before we got to order. Waiting for our food now and the line is probably twice as long as when we got here.
500,000ags
AG
Valentina's ordering has been pretty slow when I go (3-4x). Twice, got there around 45 mins before opening and less than 20 people in front of me (people not orders), and both took 45+ minutes. The BBQ is great though.
Reel Aggies
AG
Don't waste time on Eaker bbq in Fredericksburg. $32/lb for prime brisket, marbled sliced brisket sandwiches today needed plenty of sauce to get it down. Brisket dry. Jap/cheese sausage was ok. $42 for 2 sandwiches, 2 teas and small sides. Was meh. Was disappoint.
Jock 07
AG
Priedite BBQ in Los Alamos CA. Legit. If you ever find yourself in central coast wine country plan it around one of the Saturdays he's cooking.

https://www.prieditebbq.com/

https://www.instagram.com/prieditebarbecue/?hl=en

https://www.lastpeach.com/priedite-bbq-1
AggieFabricator

agcrock2005
AG
**** California.
Jock 07
AG
As an expat behind enemy lines, I can certainly appreciate your sentiments, I think you'd actually be pleasantly surprised by the majority of the central coast folks out here. Their values are a lot more in line with ours, they're just overwhelmingly outnumbered by the rest of the state. That being said I'm still planning on getting the hell outta dodge in ~1.5 yrs
Saxsoon
AG
Some of the best bbq I have personally had is in Seattle at Jacks BBQ. Helps that he is an Aggie and a graduate of the bbq summer camp
agcrock2005
AG
Jock 07 said:

As an expat behind enemy lines, I can certainly appreciate your sentiments, I think you'd actually be pleasantly surprised by the majority of the central coast folks out here. Their values are a lot more in line with ours, they're just overwhelmingly outnumbered by the rest of the state. That being said I'm still planning on getting the hell outta dodge in ~1.5 yrs
I was just messing around. I've heard the food is awesome!
JCRiley09
AG
I had Southside Market in Bastrop yesterday and I cannot believe they don't crack the top 100. The brisket and sausage were incredible. They are allegedly the oldest bbq joint in the state. The sausage recipe is like 100 years old and still holds up. And they've evolved their food unlike a lot of the "historical" joints. It doesn't hurt that they're Aggie owned.
TXAG 05
AG
JCRiley09 said:

I had Southside Market in Bastrop yesterday and I cannot believe they don't crack the top 100. The brisket and sausage were incredible. They are allegedly the oldest bbq joint in the state. The sausage recipe is like 100 years old and still holds up. And they've evolved their food unlike a lot of the "historical" joints. It spent hurt that they're Aggie owned.

I've been to the original in Elgin a few times. It's never been anything more than average at best. Maybe the new Bastrop store does things different.
CDub06
AG
My dad was working in Victoria on Saturday and got his guys bbq from La Vaca (newly top 50) and everyone agreed it was terrible. I was shocked.
JCRiley09
AG
How recent? I've only had sausage and brisket my last several trips and it's been great. I haven't had a full tray of ribs and their other offerings in a while
TXAG 05
AG
JCRiley09 said:

How recent? I've only had sausage and brisket my last several trips and it's been great. I haven't had a full tray of ribs and their other offerings in a while

Less than a year since the last time I was there. I've never been to the new one in Bastrop so it could be a lot better
Chipotlemonger
AG
Looks awesome
agfan2013
AG
Burnt Bean today for the second time. Phenomenal.

Not pictured, big red tres leches cake. Pork steak was a special today and incredibly good. Brisket amazing and the couple folks I were with said the pork ribs and sausage were great too. Very deserving of the top 10
NColoradoAG
That pork steak looks ****in phenomenal.
JCA1
AG
Went to Feges on Long Point yesterday. Gotta say, I was disappointed. The Asian rib tips were very good (and a bargain), but beside that, I was underwhelmed. The brisket, in particular, was a letdown. Very dry.

Considering I have to drive past Truth to get there, I doubt I'll be returning anytime soon.
FredMc92
I'm glad your experience at Burnt Bean was great - pictures look fantastic.

I went on a Friday a couple weeks before the new list came out to beat the lines.

I loved everything about the place - except the meat, which is a problem at a BBQ restaurant.

I guess I went on a bad day or something, because both the ribs and brisket were WAY overdone and my brisket didn't look anything like yours.

I'll have to give it another shot - how was the line?
schmendeler
AG
I've never been to the spring Branch location but the one at Greenway plaza has always been excellent. Surprised to hear that about Feges.
agfan2013
AG
Surprised to hear that, both times I've been it's been fantastic. We got there at 10:30 and had probably 25-30 people in front of us. Sat down to eat about an hour after that around 11:30.
MAROON
AG
went to Truth Houston today for lunch. Arrived around 11:45. About 20 minutes in line max. Had brisket and pepper jack sausage, creamed spinach, and brussels sprouts (I've stopped eating carbs so had to pass on the Tator tot casserole and the white bread .).

Brisket was awesome. Sausage was ok. Next time I'll get the ribs. The Spinach and Brussels Sprouts were fantastic.

Saw Cullen Gillaspia in line, ankles looked strong.

Now home watching Houston Open in a food coma.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.