Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,224 Views | 3170 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Matsui
Johnsy3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Pretty awesome video on Goldees. I don't know them at all. When I hung out with the Panther City guys not too long ago I asked them about those guys and they were very positive. Would love to hear BeefCheek's opinion. This is like a Chef's Table knockoff on them, but produced pretty well for a guy with 13K followers on IG.

A buddy sent me this just now and I came here to post it. These dudes (and lady) seem pretty young and they're crushing it. The BBQ place they visit for lunch also sounds incredible (brisket elote??)
AirplaneAg09
AG
Quote:

I doubt it. This interview is nearly 9 years old by now. I'm sure it's gotten much worse between the two sides. My in-laws lived in Lockhart for 20 years or so and MIL used to do the taxes for Edgar (the dad) and she said long ago that Kent was a huge ******* and Terry was very nice and an overall good person. She's strongly rooting for the nephews to do well at the expense of Kent. Said Terry is just like Edgar and Kent was kind of a jerk that never wanted to be in the BBQ business. He was a lawyer and felt like he had to come back and help his parents.
I'm admittedly biased through family/friend connections with many people involved in the Black's BBQ war and Lockhart in general, but that is a very common opinion with people who've lived in Lockhart long enough to know.
Objective Aggie
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Pretty awesome video on Goldees. I don't know them at all. When I hung out with the Panther City guys not too long ago I asked them about those guys and they were very positive. Would love to hear BeefCheek's opinion. This is like a Chef's Table knockoff on them, but produced pretty well for a guy with 13K followers on IG.

Look forward to watching that.

I showed up super late one day before closing just in case they had anything as I am rarely in that neighborhood and had to at least try. No brisket but they got me whatever I could. They kept coming by and giving us whatever was left over.

Guys serving us in line could not have been nicer.

I then realized later that those were the pitmasters. They look 22 years old. But I will tell you, BBQ was great, service was great, but the vibe of the place was very cool. These guys love their work.
rjones2688
Johnsy3 said:

agcrock2005 said:

A buddy sent me this just now and I came here to post it. These dudes (and lady) seem pretty young and they're crushing it. The BBQ place they visit for lunch also sounds incredible (brisket elote??)
They went to Panther City over in fort worth. I honestly was not a fan. Meats were ok but sides were downright bad. Don't Understand how they cracked top ten
rjones2688

Cattleack Last week. I thought pastrami brisket would have more of a pastrami like taste to it. Tasted just like normal brisket but with a pink color. Still great tho

BEST in DFW IMO.
schmendeler
AG
How bout that bologna?
rjones2688
schmendeler said:

How bout that bologna?
Amazing. I always order at least a pound and have it for lunch for a couple days after
Cowboy Curtis
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Not a mention of Dylan.
Koldus131
AG
Not sure if he retained any ownership or not, but he doesn't work there anymore. He went off to Colorado and works on a ranch right now. I believe it started as a sabbatical from Goldee's, but seems to have turned into a permanent thing as he fell in love with it.
Beef Cheek
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I have a ton of love for Jalen, Lane, and Dylan. My perspective of Goldee's is a little different because I knew them all in Austin and can see the various influences in everything they do. Was a little surprised they didn't mention Dylan in the video despite him being up in Colorado for awhile now.

I do think Jonny sucks and if that somehow got back to him, I doubt he would be surprised. He's an ******* that talks a lot **** about a lot of people.
wadd96
AG
Anyone else going to Troubador in Celina? We'll be cooking with Rossler's...And then staying for the party...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
NColoradoAG
1775 on point today.
wadd96
AG
They are in my Top 5. Brad is holding me a sammie for tomorrow when I get in town for the game.
Jock 07
AG
Stopped by the pit room to pick up some brisket and sausage to go but no pictures. Certainly not the greatest BBQ but there's something to be said for being able to walk in and walk out within 10 minutes with some really solid BBQ. I'm continually amazed at the amount of places around town now where you can get really damn good BBQ that didn't exist when I left the state 15 years ago.
TejasAg
AG
I may be there helping my buddy from West Texas. I helped out in Georgetown and had a blast. Skipped Tyler last weekend to go watch the Ags. Maybe a bad choice there…
wadd96
AG
Brick? Let me know for sure... would love to meet up....

Just talked to Steven today... ready for next month!
TejasAg
AG
Yes sir, Brick Vault. I don't know what time you're going by 1775 tomorrow, but I plan to stop by otw into town also. Maybe we'll cross paths.
mts6175
AG
rjones2688 said:

Johnsy3 said:

agcrock2005 said:

They went to Panther City over in fort worth. I honestly was not a fan. Meats were ok but sides were downright bad. Don't Understand how they cracked top ten
Panther City is fantastic.
rjones2688
mts6175 said:

rjones2688 said:

Johnsy3 said:

agcrock2005 said:

Panther City is fantastic.

I didn't love it. Sides were really salty and inedible. Bologna taste like deli bologna. Meats were ok. I ended up giving my leftovers to a homeless man
JCRiley09
AG
I'm on the "Panther city is good, but not great" team. I got a little bit of everything there and nothing blew me away. Agreed that it didn't seem like a top 10 spot.

Dayne's is my favorite in FW.
wadd96
AG
I didn't stop in until 3... Just picked up some brisket
Saxsoon
AG
I sideeye any bbq place that dowses their ribs in sauce
TejasAg
AG
Ended up getting a late start so stopped at Brett's instead today. Simple lunch pork steak and beans.
AggieFabricator
That's a damn fine looking pork steak! Bretts is good stuff.
rjones2688
JCRiley09 said:

I'm on the "Panther city is good, but not great" team. I got a little bit of everything there and nothing blew me away. Agreed that it didn't seem like a top 10 spot.

Dayne's is my favorite in FW.
Daynes is Fantastic ! You have good taste
rjones2688
TejasAg said:

Ended up getting a late start so stopped at Brett's instead today. Simple lunch pork steak and beans.

That Looks Great
Objective Aggie
AG
Had brisket at Sigma Chi tailgate. Some 20 year old student was churning out quality brisket in volume. I was pretty damn impressed. Dude started at midnight. No pics.
AggieFabricator
Username checks out
Beef Cheek
AG
https://www.kvue.com/article/money/business/blacks-barbecue-back-wages-recovered/269-d6c4c7f9-53c4-4f92-b5a5-f3ef308a75b2
Beef Cheek
AG
The investigation included Black's Barbecue Inc., Kent Black's Lockhart Barbecue Inc. and New Braunfels Barbecue LLC.

"Food service industry employers must know that tips are the property of tipped employees who earn them, plain and simple," said Wage and Hour Division District Director Nicole Sellers. "Workers and their families depend on their rightfully earned wages and benefits. If you take from them, you take from their families. The Wage and Hour Division is committed to safeguarding the rights of all essential food service workers."
Koldus131
AG
Hard Eight got busted for this recently too. Pretty scummy.
agcrock2005
AG
Guess my mother-in-law is finally right about the first thing ever...Kent is a dick.
tsuag10
AG
Baker Boys in Gonzalez. Not Top 10 quality but it I'm ok with them in the Top 50. Solid BBQ and basically no wait.
Beef Cheek
AG
I did think that Mac was scrambled eggs for a second and I was oddly excited about the twist
tsuag10
AG
The potatoes were good, but the Mac and cheese was pretty meh.

2nd time I've been there and my impression was the exact same: Good meats and very average sides overall.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.