Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,206 Views | 3170 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Matsui
tsuag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Truth in Houston again today. This place has become my #1 because they consistently put out elite level meats every day. I've been several times and it's never been anything less than excellent.

JCA1
AG
tsuag10 said:

Truth in Houston again today. This place has become my #1 because they consistently put out elite level meats every day. I've been several times and it's never been anything less than excellent.

Truth's consistency is incredible. I work about a mile from there and have eaten there probably 30 to 40 times. Only one time have I thought the brisket didn't hit the mark. And it was still good, just wasn't as good as it usually is.
tsuag10
AG
LeRoy & Lewis to go today. First time here for me.
The Citra Hop pork sausage was not my jam, but that's personal preference on the flavor. It's still a well made sausage. The pork hash w/ rice and the refried beans were solid.

The beef cheeks completely blew me away. One of the better bites of BBQ I've had in a very long time.

AgsWin2011
AG
Their beef cheek is nothing short of amazing.
howdyags12!
AG
Let me start with Killen's bbq in Pearland is great and I've been numerous times and never a complaint. However, the new Killen's location in Cypress is not up to par. My son and I went last Sunday for lunch and needless to say we will not be going back anytime soon. The brisket was okay but the beef rib was chewy/rubbery and had a weird taste and the sides were really bad. The cole slaw was not good, the beans were under cooked and tasted like they were just dumped into bbq sauce. Hopefully they will figure it out as my son said as we were leaving, Spring Creek bbq is better than this..
AgsWin2011
AG
That's pretty bad. Spring Creek is terrible. I've been "twice" years ago (my first time and last time ever going). It was on par with Dickies and made me feel terrible the rest of the day.
agcrock2005
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

That's going to make our Beef Cheek very happy.
DiskoTroop
AgsWin2011 said:

That's pretty bad. Spring Creek is terrible. I've been "twice" years ago (my first time and last time ever going). It was on par with Dickies and made me feel terrible the rest of the day.

Idk if I put them in the same boat as Dickies buy they're certainly only a minor step above. I've eaten at the one in Atascosita and for mass produced, chain bbq, they're better than Dickies, about the same tier as Bucee's bbq.
BohunkAg
AG
howdyags12! said:

Let me start with Killen's bbq in Pearland is great and I've been numerous times and never a complaint. However, the new Killen's location in Cypress is not up to par. My son and I went last Sunday for lunch and needless to say we will not be going back anytime soon. The brisket was okay but the beef rib was chewy/rubbery and had a weird taste and the sides were really bad. The cole slaw was not good, the beans were under cooked and tasted like they were just dumped into bbq sauce. Hopefully they will figure it out as my son said as we were leaving, Spring Creek bbq is better than this..
Sometimes when these great places start opening up new locations, the quality goes down. Hard to maintain.
agfan2013
AG

Stopped by Pustka Family BBQ today for the first time and it definitely won't be my last. I have work customers in the area and can't believe it's taken me this long to swing by.

Everything was good but the jalapeño cheese sausage and brisket were the standouts of the meats, and the elotes was my favorite of the two sides I tried. They use a pepperjack cheese in their jalapeño cheese, and it was phenomenal. Seriously might contend for the best sausage at a bbq place that I've tried along with the pico de gallo from Brett's backyard in Rockdale.
agcrock2005
AG
Hopefully you talked to Dustin (Texags "AustinAgChef"). He's a good guy. I have a bias because he's my cousin, but I think I'd still like him and his bbq even if he wasn't.
wadd96
AG
#itsjustchicken is my favorite smoked chicken in all of BBQ!
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
agfan2013
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Hopefully you talked to Dustin (Texags "AustinAgChef"). He's a good guy. I have a bias because he's my cousin, but I think I'd still like him and his bbq even if he wasn't.

I did, haha. When ordering, I asked, "so which one of y'all is the one that posts on TexAgs?" And as we talked about the forum, he mentioned knowing you and wadd96 above as well. I told him I remembered seeing yalls usernames frequently, even though I spend a lot more time on the outdoors board as opposed to this one, but I always like checking in on this thread.
wadd96
AG
I seriously need a reason to head north before May...
Beef Cheek
AG
Very happy!!

agcrock2005 said:

AgsWin2011 said:

That's going to make our Beef Cheek very happy.
Koldus131
AG
We've got another family BBQ feud to add to the list. Personally I find it hard not to side with the brothers who currently own and run the McKinney and Frisco location.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2023/02/15/hutchins-barbeque-owner-sues-dad-and-brother-over-name-of-new-north-texas-restaurant/

Quote:

Hutchins Barbeque owner sues dad and brother over name of new North Texas restaurant

Restaurateurs in McKinney and Frisco say a new business in the works in Trophy Club isn't affiliated even though its operators are family.

The president and majority owner of Hutchins Barbeque in McKinney and Frisco has launched a trademark lawsuit against family members in an attempt to protect his restaurant name.

Tim Hutchins said the Hutchins Barbeque slated to open in April in Trophy Club, a small golf community northwest of Dallas, is not related to his Hutchins Barbeque in McKinney nor his brother Tracy "Trey" Hutchins' barbecue joint and catering operation by the same name in Frisco. The Trophy Club restaurant will be operated by Wesley Hutchins and Roy Hutchins, the Hutchins brothers' eldest sibling and father, respectively.

A lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas in Sherman asks a judge to consider whether a new, unaffiliated Hutchins Barbeque in Trophy Club will be confusing to consumers familiar with the McKinney and Frisco restaurants.

"It's a strong name in D-FW," Tim Hutchins said of Hutchins Barbeque. The business has been on Texas Monthly's best-of barbecue list three consecutive times.

Tim Hutchins said he thinks Wesley Hutchins and Roy Hutchins are relying on the Hutchins Barbeque name to get customers to their new shop.

"I really feel like they're trying to capitalize on our accolades and achievements as a business," Tim Hutchins said. He and Trey Hutchins have been business partners since 2014.

Wesley Hutchins laughed at the idea: "It's our name."

Do they have a case?

Roy Hutchins started the family's first barbecue joint, Roy's Smokehouse, in 1978 in the Collin County town of Princeton, northeast of Dallas. All three sons grew up in the barbecue business and have worked at the family-owned restaurants since they were young. Roy and sons Wesley and Trey opened Hutchins Barbeque in 1991. Tim Hutchins was a child when it opened, but he took a majority ownership in 2002, at age 22.

Matthew Yarbrough, an attorney who represented the owner of Carbone's when he sued new Dallas restaurant Carbone for trademark infringement, said he believes Wesley and Roy Hutchins might have trouble proving they have rights to the Hutchins Barbeque name, since Tim Hutchins has been using it in commerce for more than 20 years. Wesley and Roy Hutchins both worked at the McKinney restaurant during that timeframe, though not as owners.

Yarbrough pointed to the potential for consumers to be confused by restaurants with similar names selling the same cuisine but being run by different parties.

"We're seeing an explosion in litigation because of social media," said Yarbrough, chair of intellectual property at Michelman & Robinson. In the case of Carbone's vs. Carbone, customers were leaving online reviews for the wrong restaurant or setting their cellphone maps to the wrong spot. Yarbrough suggests the same problems could happen with Hutchins.

In 2020, Tim Hutchins secured two federal trademarks, one for "Hutchins Barbeque" and another for "Hutchins Barbeque Made in Texas Est. 1978. The second specifies that the trademark is "superimposed upon an oval with the words 'made in Texas' and 'est. 1978 written below, with a pictorial representation of the state of Texas in between" the phrases, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office records state.

Wesley and Roy Hutchins' new logo uses the same Hutchins Barbeque spelling that the McKinney and Frisco restaurants use. It has the addition of Roy's name.

The logo is displayed in the shape of an oval but uses a slightly different phrase: "Texas made since 1978."

Wesley Hutchins, the oldest brother, called Tim Hutchins greedy for trying to keep the Hutchins family name to himself.

"I think people forget who brought them to the dance sometimes," Wesley Hutchins said.

How did the feud start?

All three Hutchins brothers say they were a close family who worked together, on and off, for years. Trey Hutchins lives across the street from Wesley Hutchins, though they haven't spoken much in the last year.

"We've always been super close," Trey Hutchins said. "The last couple of years, we've definitely disagreed on a lot of things."

Tim Hutchins is the current president of the company, which includes Hutchins Barbeque in McKinney and Frisco. Trey Hutchins is vice president. Wesley Hutchins worked at the restaurants from 2018 to 2021 but currently isn't involved. Roy Hutchins gets a percentage of gross sales from the McKinney and Frisco restaurants, but he isn't an owner.

Roy Hutchins went on to open multiple Randy White's Barbeque restaurants in Texas. In 2014, Trey Hutchins turned Randy White's in Frisco into the Hutchins Barbeque location that remains today.

"It's been pretty odd for me, going from a real close, tight-knit family, to kind of estranged," Tim Hutchins said.

Wesley Hutchins sees it differently: "It's horrible disrespect toward Mom and Dad," he said of his two brothers as they engage in a lawsuit against family.

In 2002 and 2003, members of the Hutchins family filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Tim Hutchins took over the McKinney barbecue joint from his family members. He eventually made "big changes" to the recipes and the brand to make them relevant in a new craft barbecue era, he said.

"I was backed into a corner at a young age, with a huge financial responsibility," Tim Hutchins said. "I didn't have a college education. I had to make it."

Since then, the restaurant has closed twice due to fires: once in 2012 and again on New Year's Eve in 2020.

The COVID-19 pandemic was another hurdle, but the McKinney and Frisco restaurants survived. In another difficult turn, in 2021, Tim Hutchins hired famed Texas pitmaster John Mueller, who died a few months later.

Tim Hutchins doesn't want his company name to be used by two "quite inept" restaurant operators, the lawsuit says.

"We can't stop them from opening a barbecue joint," Tim Hutchins said in a Dallas Morning News interview. "But we can protect our brand."

Wesley Hutchins said their dad started the businesses and that his last name is fair game.

"It's my dad's recipes. It's all my dad," he said.

The Trophy Club restaurant has been under construction since October.

An attorney sent a cease-and-desist letter on Nov. 8, alleging that Wesley and Roy Hutchins were infringing upon Hutchins Barbeque's intellectual property

Tim Hutchins' attorney filed the trademark lawsuit 10 weeks later, on Jan. 17, 2023.

Wesley Hutchins said he and his dad don't intend to change their restaurant name. And they're already planning to expand.

"We're tickled to death," Wesley Hutchins said. "We're moving forward. We want to put several of these in."

He said he "won't ever go to McKinney or Frisco" where his brothers operate Hutchins Barbeques "because we don't want to hurt our own pockets."

"But we would definitely like to go to Houston, San Antonio and maybe Austin," he said.

For now, each faction of the family says they'll keep on keepin' on: Tim and Trey Hutchins are moving forward with the lawsuit, and Wesley and Roy Hutchins are getting closer to opening their restaurant. We'll update you with progress on both.

https://www.facebook.com/100080616638329/posts/pfbid0pGpfrNWpPCaC5ANdHha5WB46dxYkG4RziQWUMsR5hXTiCSUEpy2cUP9kxKvBoBQGl/?mibextid=cr9u03

agcrock2005
AG
That's sad.
Bulldog73
AG
We're going to hit one of the Austin BBQ joints tomorrow, leaning L&L. Family is in tow, so camping out all day is a no go. Aside from having one in our presence (Beef Cheeks), should we plan on something different than L&L?

I've done Goldee's and Cattleack recently so we've done a couple of the "big timers". Not being able to camp seems to eliminate Franklin.
BurnetAggie99
Some additional Austin BBQ spots are Interstellar BBQ LA BBQ, Mums BBQ, Valentina's BBQ, Moreno Barbecue, Terry Blacks, JNL BBQ, Stiles Switch to name a few others
Bulldog73
AG
Which one would you choose given the parameters?
Fairview20
AG
Stiles Switch rarely has a very long line, and is very good. I don't think they made the top 50 cut, but have been in previous rankings. Not sure where you're at, but it's in north central Austin.

Also is in the same parking lot where they filmed the Dazed and Confused scenes at the pool hall.
BurnetAggie99
Usually Sunday at Valentina's BBQ not much if a wait or line. Also pretty easy to get a table inside. LA BBQ you might have a couple people in line on Sunday but it usually moves fast on Sunday.
AgsWin2011
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Usually Sunday at Valentina's BBQ not much if a wait or line. Also pretty easy to get a table inside. LA BBQ you might have a couple people in line on Sunday but it usually moves fast on Sunday.

Both of these places are awesome! La BBQ has some of my favorite ribs and Mac and cheese.

Valentina's is like a combo of good Mexican food and good bbq. Their tortillas and meats are awesome. Their ribs weren't the best in my opinion.

I would definitely go back to both places if given the chance.
wadd96
AG
Don't sleep on Brothertons in Pflugerville
Beef Cheek
AG
Has this been discussed?

JCRiley09
TequilaMockingbird
Has Brett's Backyard in Rockdale opened back up yet?
agfan2013
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Has this been discussed?

Was coming here to post about it when I saw the news because I remembered you hinting about an event coming to aggieland awhile back.

Any inside scoop you can give? Similar bbq and music lineup to the other event they do or no? Are y'all coming?

I plan on going.
wadd96
AG
No. And don't expect it any time soon.
agcrock2005
AG
I like BBQ and I like music. I think I'm going to like this too. I assume your crew is going to be there?
La Fours
AG
What happened? Why did they close?
AgsWin2011
AG
La Fours said:

What happened? Why did they close?

I think I saw something about the health department closing them down for something. I went one time about a year ago and to be honest I thought it was pretty sub par. Maybe they were having an off day, but C&J's was far superior (at least on that day).

To their credit though, I had been on a BBQ kick lately and had been to places like Snow's, Terry Blacks, Leroy & Lewis, La BBQ and Valentina's. Yeah I know I have a problem but I was going to Austin once a week for work.

We moved to DFW from CS and I haven't really had a chance to venture out to any of the BBQ places on my list for this region. I've been to 407 and it was solid, but I want to try Goldee's, Dayne's Craft BBQ, Hurtado's, Panther City etc.
Saxsoon
AG
Hurtados, Zavalas, Cattleack, and Hutchins have been my favorite in the city. I was not a a huge fan of panther city but maybe it was just me. They obviously do something right
wadd96
AG
Issues with the plumbing and electrical that had been ignore since he... I mean Rossler, Ward and I...opened the place.

Don't get me started on Brett. It will not be pretty.
Beef Cheek
AG
I'm 99% sure we will be there, this is one of the few festivals I'm not running point for.

Not privy to the music lineup, but the BBQ will be like the Troubadours of the past, expect a lot of familiar faces.

Thrilled to see this at Aggie Park, too often these thing are in a hot parking lot of big open field. This has the potential to be my favorite bbq festival in Texas.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.