Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,207 Views | 3170 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Matsui
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mustang1234 said:

Any suggestions of a good bbq place in the Woodlands, north of Houston, that is not a chain bbq joint?

Corkscrew
BohunkAg
AG
mustang1234 said:

Any suggestions of a good bbq place in the Woodlands, north of Houston, that is not a chain bbq joint?
Isn't there a Killen's in The Woodlands now?
CenTexSmoke
Killen's, and theres a Good Co or Pappas BBQ around the corner too I believe.
mustang1234
Thanks for suggestions for Woodlands, Tx BBQ suggestions
AgsWin2011
AG
I'm in Key Largo. Any good BBQ recs here?
Here4Beer
AG
mustang1234 said:

Thanks for suggestions for Woodlands, Tx BBQ suggestions

Corkscrew is probably the best bbq in Houston. Go there!
tsuag10
AG
Got my beef cheek fix today at LeRoy & Lewis. Smokey, fatty, and tender. Bomb as always.
RAM700BA
AG
Love L&L. Their braised cabbage and sausage might be my favorite side at any bbq place.
BurnetAggie99
Love how L&L does the cabbage. Come from a Bavarian German family that came over to Central Texas. Roots that started the Central Texas BBQ that's now so famous. Still like how places will still have some good ole German sides that go great with some BBQ.
La Fours
AG
Kreuz Market's sauerkraut with bits of brisket is delicious. That and a beef rib was my regular order when the Bryan location was still open.
gigemJTH12
AG
wow. are those pear preserves?
tsuag10
AG
In line at Franklin. First time here for me. Looks like it's probably going to be about a 45 minute wait and I got here at 11:30.

Will report back later with pic and thoughts.

tremble
AG
Took a day off to take care of car issues and took the wife to 2M BBQ.

Good stuff
tsuag10
AG
Franklin BBQ

Brisket is Top 10 level. Ribs are right there with the best I've ever had. It ended up being right at a 45 minute wait. It's great, but I don't know that I will wait that long again unless I'm with a group that really wants to be here.

agcrock2005
AG
tsuag10 said:

Franklin BBQ

Brisket is Top 10 level. Ribs are right there with the best I've ever had. It ended up being right at a 45 minute wait. It's great, but I don't know that I will wait that long again unless I'm with a group that really wants to be here.

Heck I waited over 3 hours there about 10 years ago when I was finishing up grad school and about to move away from that **** hole. It was awesome. Either demand has gone down for them, or it's hot as hell and people didn't want to wait in line today. 45 minutes seems like a bargain!
CDub06
AG
LOL "I dont know if I'd wait 45 minutes for Franklin"

I've been in line before 5AM before.
CDub06
AG
Made a couple of strategic stops in DFW.

My first visit to Hurtado's in Arlington. A rare Top 50 spot that's open on a Monday. I thought the ribs were outstanding. The brisket was about the same quality that you'll find at any other Top 50 spot. The sausage was severely over cooked.

Had dinner at one of my usual spots when I'm in the area: Hutchins in McKinney. They've long been one of my favorites and it's a blessing that they serve that good stuff for dinner too. The food was top notch, as expected. But holy cow, for a Tuesday night, I had to park down the street and wait in line. It was worth it, but I've not encountered lines that long here before, especially on a random Tuesday night.

They've long been a known commodity in the area, but their notoriety has grown as everyone around me was from out of town (and most were from across the country).
tsuag10
AG
It was absolutely is hot as hell.

But honestly I think there are a lot of people like me that realize there is a lot of really good barbecue at other places that you don't have to wait so long for. The only other place I've waited this long for is Burnt Bean and about 30 min at Truth in Houston. I put both of those places at the same elite quality level as what I had today.

I would wait a long time at Goldee's, but that's because they aren't open Monday-Thursday, and I haven't been there yet.

To sum it up, we are very blessed here in TX to have lots of good BBQ you can wait 30 minutes or less for. Standing in the long lines should be left for special occasions, IMO.
Chipotlemonger
AG
45min is nothing.
DiskoTroop
I think Hurtado is my next targeted stop. Can't wait. Love what they do, at least in theory. Between them and B4 out in Mabank, I've got some BBQ travels in the future.
BohunkAg
AG
tremble said:

Took a day off to take care of car issues and took the wife to 2M BBQ.

Good stuff

That all looks pretty good.
agcrock2005
AG
My understanding is that if you don't get the birria tacos at Hurtado's then you're doing it all wrong. I haven't been yet but that seems to be the consensus amongst bunch of folks I know that have gone. They look very healthy too!

https://instagr.am/p/CszDfBcuGpb
Koldus131
AG
They're good but the big red Barbacoa tostada is better
wadd96
AG
Some people don't there head in their a$$ from a stck burner...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
wadd96
AG
The Miexique is really good!
wadd96
AG
So, if you walk into a high end steakhouse without a reservation, are you walking out when they tell you its a 45 minute wait? I'm not...
tsuag10
AG
If I'm going to a high end steakhouse, I'm making reservations. And yes, I probably won't wait 45 minutes.

I'm not questioning anyone else's choice for waiting in a long line for BBQ, I'm just stating my opinion and what I prefer to do.
NColoradoAG
Not sure why we have to fight every 10-15 pages about the merits of waiting in line for BBQ. I think people appreciate the updates on how long certain places take to get food on certain days. Just leave it at that people.
htxag09
AG
tsuag10 said:

If I'm going to a high end steakhouse, I'm making reservations. And yes, I probably won't wait 45 minutes.

I'm not questioning anyone else's choice for waiting in a long line for BBQ, I'm just stating my opinion and what I prefer to do.
I agree, but I'd argue 45 minutes is really borderline of not a bad wait when you really consider it. I mean you can go to a crappy burger stand and between time waiting for a table, time waiting for the waitress to order, ordering, and getting your burger it's 30 minutes.....

Thing about BBQ is you wait in line for awhile upfront, but that's your entire wait.
tsuag10
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Not sure why we have to fight every 10-15 pages about the merits of waiting in line for BBQ. I think people appreciate the updates on how long certain places take to get food on certain days. Just leave it at that people.

I agree. I hope it didn't come across that I think waiting in a long line is dumb. I personally just don't care to.
BohunkAg
AG
wadd96 said:

So, if you walk into a high end steakhouse without a reservation, are you walking out when they tell you its a 45 minute wait? I'm not...
Yeah, I probably will.
BohunkAg
AG
NColoradoAG said:

And I agree with this too.
Farmer1906
AG
BohunkAg said:

wadd96 said:

Yeah, I probably will.

I absolutely would wait if my only option to go to great steak houses were to wait.
CDub06
AG
I was very tempted. I LOVE when people fuse Texas Barbecue with Mexican dishes. But also, it was my first time, so I had to go with the meats. They've got a cool menu for sure.

And for posterity, I arrived at 10:45 on a Monday and was 2nd in line.
Chipotlemonger
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Yea it's great to hear of a 45min wait at Franklin's. Makes me much much much more likely to go there, I've only ever had it from jah003 via the to go option.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.