Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,255 Views | 3170 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Matsui
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saxsoon
AG
schmendeler said:

Lmao. Fat isn't a crutch. Fat IS flavor.
Fat is forgiving for beginners
schmendeler
AG
I love a burger made out of 96/4. No crutches for me!
DiskoTroop
schmendeler said:

Lmao. Fat isn't a crutch. Fat IS flavor.

I know this is a food descriptive but gotDAMN I took it as a compliment.
schmendeler
AG
Hahaha
Saxsoon
AG
okay hipsters
agcrock2005
AG
Marooned_n_Aggieland
RAM700BA said:

Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

/Burnt Bean in Seguin ---

That's what you just said.

Not at all. If you think brisket and sausage are the same thing then you could be correct.

If you notice, I enjoy juicy brisket flat and juicy sausage. I don't want my my brisket or my sausage swimming in fat nor do I want them to be dry like lunch meat (a common issue). The happy medium is what every taster looks for. Obviously many on here do not like my medium and I knew that going in.

It always entertains when other people are called out as being somehow lesser if their opinions and interests don't follow ones own. The idea of variety is grand and leads to new things.
Buzzy

RAM700BA said:

/Burnt Bean in Seguin ---

That's what you just said.

Not at all. If you think brisket and sausage are the same thing then you could be correct.

If you notice, I enjoy juicy brisket flat and juicy sausage. I don't want my my brisket or my sausage swimming in fat nor do I want them to be dry like lunch meat (a common issue). The happy medium is what every taster looks for. Obviously many on here do not like my medium and I knew that going in.

It always entertains when other people are called out as being somehow lesser if their opinions and interests don't follow ones own. The idea of variety is grand and leads to new things.
Actually, his analogy was pretty spot on. The bigger issue is you're blaming a restaurant for your own admitted mistake of failing to order to your specific preferences.
Wild West Pimp Style
AggieFabricator
Not to side track the thread but a few of you asked for the pics once I posted them. This pit with these exact features is a one off. But I plan to offer a limited run of these smokers in the near future.

JCA1
AG
Is it in bad taste to ask what one of those will run?
Jock 07
AG
If you have to ask…
AggieFabricator
Joe paid about 15k with all of the add ons and detail on work included that he got. I refuse to cut our quality or dumb down our designs to bring our sale price down, so we're having to thread a lot of needles to get these down into the 7000 range, which is why I'm not offering them for sale just yet. Once I can get the product/price point where it needs to be without quality suffering to meet that price point you'll see these on the market.
JCA1
AG
AggieFabricator said:

Joe paid about 15k with all of the add ons and detail on work included that he got. I refuse to cut our quality or dumb down our designs to bring our sale price down, so we're having to thread a lot of needles to get these down into the 7000 range, which is why I'm not offering them for sale just yet. Once I can get the product/price point where it needs to be without quality suffering to meet that price point you'll see these on the market.

Thanks. Looks like one helluva pit.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Would you mind sharing some specs on that? How big is it? What all did Joe ask for?
tsuag10
AG
Feges in Houston yesterday.

It was good but not great. Brisket was very good. Beans were good. Potatoes and sausage were just ok. I would definitely go back again and try the other meats and sides.

AggieFabricator
Main cooking chamber is 24" diameter pipe by 48" long plus the dome cap we added. Fully insulated firebox, which comes standard. Special add ons for Joe were the steak grill above the firebox, high heat powder coat, all stainless steel cooking grated, and stainless ash pan for the grill, heavy duty off road wheels and tires for moving the pit around, chrome plated accents, all of the detail work like the alien head logos on the handles and the alien ship rain cap/damper on the grill were all machined by buddy Anthony who is Jesse James in house machinist by day. Joe also got a set of custom fire tools for his grill, as well as a custom charcoal chimney too.

wadd96
AG
3" stack? Foldable?

And the counterweight is smart. With Backline had put one on my pit...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Appreciate the write up. I may have to get one of these (minus the aliens)
RED AG 98
AG
What an awesome experience and exposure for you. Maybe by the time you are ready to sell we'll be moved and ready to buy.

Next question -- is the backstory on how this gig happened something you are able to share? Totally understand if it's not though!
AggieFabricator
I was fortunate through a mutual friend to go back and meet him in the green room after a show in Austin earlier this year, he had been following us on social for a few months. Originally I was going to build him a custom steak grill, but he mentioned how he liked to reverse sear tomahawk ribeyes a lot. So after some conversation he zeroed in on an offset with the finishing grill up top. He let me take over from there. We met in late March, and my house burned down two weeks later. So I had to go to Joe and explain to him basically that I had to put him on the back burner until I got back on my feet. We finished the smoker in June, but have been on hold to deliver it because he was having an outdoor cooking area built out. It's been a tough year on my wife and me, starting over after our house fire while you're trying to keep your business afloat/growing and having to sit on Rogans pit was tough and frustrating at times. All in all it's been an extremely cool experience and I can't figure out how the hell I got here. He was extremely down to earth and gracious all three times I have been around him. I'm looking forward to him getting to use it for the first time soon. The pic below was the OG mock up of his steak grill.
tsuag10
AG
Blood Bros in Houston today.

Gochujang pork ribs, brisket, charro beans, and brisket fried rice. All very good and unique.

I'll hit up my buddies at Roegels in Katy on my way back to SA tomorrow. After that I'll be tired of BBQ for a while

AggieFabricator
This one was a 4" stack, probably would do a shorter 5" stack on the next one if I had a do over.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I need a nap just thinking about crushing that spread for lunch
wadd96
AG
When I am ready for a Santa Maria, I'll give you a shout
AggieFabricator
Haven't made one of those yet, just bring your checkbook haha.
wadd96
AG
Of course.... Will you take a post-dated, 3rd party, out of state check? LOL
CDub06
AG
Nice trip. You hit two of my Houston favorites in those last two posts. Feges and Blood Bros are top tier for me. And Blood Bros might be my all around favorite restaurant in Houston.
tsuag10
AG
They've been good and I like Roegels a lot too. But Truth is still my favorite Houston BBQ.
AggieFabricator
I've been to Feges and Roegels the last two times I came into town and they were both good. But like you said, Truth is hard to beat, even on a bad day.
JCA1
AG
Truth is easily my No. 1 in town. Followed by Pinkerton's, Blood Bros., Feges, Roegel's, depending on the day.
BSD
AG
wadd96 said:

When I am ready for a Santa Maria, I'll give you a shout

I'm getting one for my backyard soon. I have Backline working on that one. I have a Mill Scale styled open fire table for the front yard (we have lots of cul de sac parties out front). Would love to support CenTex but I'm all out of money.
wadd96
AG
Backline built the Cowboy... Good stuff.
BSD
AG
Yep. I think your posts are how I met him (he's done two small projects for me).
AggieFabricator
No worries. Just make sure to use whatever you have and enjoy it. That's what matters.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.