Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,242 Views | 3170 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Matsui
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Took a container, poured them into RTIC cups, sat on the porch and visited with some people from NJ, Fla and California. Could have been hot chocolate for all anyone knew.
schmendeler
AG
Good thinking
RED AG 98
AG
Thanks. Didn't work out today but we may try again tomorrow.
tsuag10
AG
Burnt Bean in Seguin today with the whole fam.

agcrock2005
AG
That looks awesome. I want some of that turkey!
Bulldog73
AG
Had some Helburg again today. I can't get past how good their pork steak is. Sides are just fine, but for $50 for a family of 4 and having leftovers, I won't complain at all.
JohnnyShotgun
Every ounce of that looks amazing! My goodness this thread is murder at supper time.
BohunkAg
AG
I can't ever seem to pass up their collared greens. I do wish they would have some proper hot sauce to go with them instead of that smoky crap they have but it's a minor complaint.
RED AG 98
AG
BohunkAg said:

I can't ever seem to pass up their collared greens. I do wish they would have some proper hot sauce to go with them instead of that smoky crap they have but it's a minor complaint.
BYOHS!

CajunAggie
AG
Giving Terry Black's in Dallas a try on Saturday....
AgsWin2011
AG
CajunAggie said:

Giving Terry Black's in Dallas a try on Saturday....

Their sides are average at best but their meats are damn good. Brisket, beef rib and jalapeño sausage. It doesn't need sauce but I like to mix their spicy and sweet bbq sauces together.
La Fours
AG
I am in Seguin this weekend. So I stopped by for breakfast

The Casanova - Heuvos Rancheros with brisket and barbacoa.

Also got a lb of barbacoa to go.
BurnetAggie99
Had the opportunity to eat Mums yesterday while wrapping up my last overwatch shift with AE for the ice storm restoration. Wasn't able to get pictures but the brisket, sausage and pork ribs were some of the best I've had.
Big Al 1992
AG
What was the wait in line like?
La Fours
AG
Not much of a line, just inside the door. I got there a little after 8am when they opened. Maybe 20 people in front of me. Waited maybe 10 minutes to order.
Buzzy
Where is Mums?
Wild West Pimp Style
BurnetAggie99
5811 Manor Rd
JohnnyShotgun
We've been entertaining four of my wife's cousins who are visiting from San Diego all weekend. I didn't have the energy to do my own brisket for the Super Bowl but I wanted them to have that Texas brisket experience before they leave tomorrow so I ended up buying four pounds from Brotherton's in Pflugerville and it was dang near perfect. Everyone loved it and it was a great example of what brisket in this state should be. I did do some chicken quarters and Meyers sausage on one of my grills and burnt a combination of post oak and pecan. I was going to do charcoal and do a little wood for flavor, but just ended up doing all wood, and it was the right choice.

Side note, $30 a pound at Brotherton's, is that what you guys are seeing too at other places?
TXAG 05
AG
Pinkertons is $30, I think Truth is even higher. Franklin is probably $40 by now.
Saxsoon
AG
JohnnyShotgun said:

We've been entertaining four of my wife's cousins who are visiting from San Diego all weekend. I didn't have the energy to do my own brisket for the Super Bowl but I wanted them to have that Texas brisket experience before they leave tomorrow so I ended up buying four pounds from Brotherton's in Pflugerville and it was dang near perfect. Everyone loved it and it was a great example of what brisket in this state should be. I did do some chicken quarters and Meyers sausage on one of my grills and burnt a combination of post oak and pecan. I was going to do charcoal and do a little wood for flavor, but just ended up doing all wood, and it was the right choice.

Side note, $30 a pound at Brotherton's, is that what you guys are seeing too at other places?

Cattleack is using Heartbrand Akaushi American wagyu and is $27 / pound
La Fours
AG
Burnt Bean is $31/lb for brisket.
BurnetAggie99
$21 a pound at Louie Mueller
CDub06
AG
Killens is $27/pound.

Lots of places are pricing it by the 1/2 pound now to make that number look lower.
AustinCountyAg
Prices have gotten stupid. Welcome General Store, who gets their BBQ by Louie Mueller, and then just reheats it's I'm assuming has brisket for $32lb. GTFO with that crap.

With that said, the brisket at Truth is as good as it gets for me. For what they make it's worth. I'd rather have their brisket and a meal from them instead of a steak dinner at Pappas.
wadd96
AG
Have you seen the cost of beef? And all other proteins? And labor, rent, taxes, insurance.

Guys, this ain't the 90's. Do you still expect to go to HEB on Memorial Day and buy a $0.59/lb packer (select) brisket?
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
BurnetAggie99
I just picked up 2 HEB Prime Whole Packer briskets 15 to 20 pounds each for $53 bucks a piece

Choice grade whole packers were $30-$35 each if you wanted Choice
tsuag10
AG
$25-$35 per lb of brisket is pretty common, especially if they are using higher quality grade beef. Top 50 caliber joints using Prime briskets, and pulling from a tight labor pool are almost always $30+

It prices some people out of being about afford a Top 50 BBQ on a regular basis, but most folks still find a way if they want it bad enough.

I eat at these places as often as I can for lunch when I'm traveling for work, but that's because I get to expense my meals.

I can tell you for certain that I'm not paying these prices to feed my family of 5 unless it's a special occasion.

Edit to add: I'm not at all saying their prices are out of line or unreasonable, just that I'm not interested in paying that much for a meal unless it's a special occasion.
schmendeler
AG
Happy to say that my personal favorite Corkscrew has brisket at $29/lb.
Streetfighter 02
AG
wadd96 said:

Have you seen the cost of beef? And all other proteins? And labor, rent, taxes, insurance.

Guys, this ain't the 90's. Do you still expect to go to HEB on Memorial Day and buy a $0.59/lb packer (select) brisket?
I want to.
BohunkAg
AG
wadd96 said:

yes
htxag09
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

wadd96 said:

I want to.

Find a public bbq joint them and look up their earnings reports. Or become an investor.

Or use your deductive reasoning and how much have these things gone up for you at the grocery store? What have housing/rent and labor indices gone up? How much has your insurance gone up?

Restaurants don't owe their customers this info. Even though a lot of it is available with research and effort via publicly available indices.

Plus it's largely irrelevant. At the end of the day, supply and demand will dictate the price. If they're charging $30/lb and have a line out the door and sell out do you think they should drop prices?

Edit: realized you may be saying you want to buy a brisket for .59/lb, not you want to see their costs. I agree
CDub06
AG
There's this longtime barbecue shack out where I grew up in Corpus.

It's dry, tasteless barbecue, but people have packed the parking lot as long as I can remember. It's super convenient, but my family doesn't go there simply because it's just not good. We have it on occasion at, like, baby showers or funerals, or whatever upsetting event gathers people back home.

I was in the area this weekend (funeral) and the owners were selling off their equipment and shutting down. The reason? The price of meat. They said they couldn't justify raising prices again, but that's the only way they could cover costs. They said they felt it was morally wrong to sell their sliced beef sandwiches for $15.

I mean, I agree, but that's more of a quality issue on their end. If they were up to par, it's a lot easier to pay those prices.
wadd96
AG
And I want to be back at my High School playing weight...
wadd96
AG
Yeah, I actually know what brisket costs are... have a catering business.
Streetfighter 02
AG
This is more likely to happen than buying whole brisket for $0.59/lb.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.