Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,260 Views | 3170 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Matsui
Beef Cheek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got there about 9:45. The line wasn't wrapping around the back of the pit area, so definitely shorter than my last few visits. Still plenty busy.

Ran into the crew from Moo's Craft BBQ for those familiar with the LA spot. Andrew and his wife are incredibly nice. Believe he's nominated for James Beard right now
DiskoTroop
Beef Cheek said:

Pork steak is top left.

No excuse for missing on chicken, that's a fail on our part
aaahh!! Not used to seeing it sliced already.
Jock 07
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Got there about 9:45. The line wasn't wrapping around the back of the pit area, so definitely shorter than my last few visits. Still plenty busy.

Ran into the crew from Moo's Craft BBQ for those familiar with the LA spot. Andrew and his wife are incredibly nice. Believe he's nominated for James Beard right now

Moo's is good stuff had it a couple years ago at Monkish before they opened their brick & mortar spot.
tsuag10
AG
First time at Interstellar in Austin today. I was about #20 in line at 10:50 and I waited over an hour. I think I was the first person to the cutting block with an individual order. Almost everyone in front of me was big orders. But I digress…

The brisket was good but not elite. The peach glazed pork belly was really good. The chorizo cheese grits were amazing. I'll report on the chocolate rice pudding later….

Very good overall.

agcrock2005
AG
Not totally related, but isn't that the guy that was owner of The Noble Pig down there? They had some badass sandwiches. Wonder what happened to them. Sorry for the hijack.
schmendeler
AG
Yes I believe so
Koldus131
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Not totally related, but isn't that the guy that was owner of The Noble Pig down there? They had some badass sandwiches. Wonder what happened to them. Sorry for the hijack.

They closed the noble pig to open Interstellar. Pretty sure they're in the same spot.
BohunkAg
AG
tsuag10 said:

First time at Interstellar in Austin today. I was about #20 in line at 10:50 and I waited over an hour. I think I was the first person to the cutting block with an individual order. Almost everyone in front of me was big orders. But I digress…

The brisket was good but not elite. The peach glazed pork belly was really good. The chorizo cheese grits were amazing. I'll report on the chocolate rice pudding later….

Very good overall.

$16.5/lb for cooked brisket these days aint too bad.
schmendeler
AG
I'm willing to bet that's $16 for 1/2 pound
txag2008
AG
Try again. That's $16 for .5lb
tsuag10
AG
That's $16 for a 1/2 lb. Aka $32/lb
BurnetAggie99
Louie Mueller is about one of the only few places that still get 1 pound of brisket for $21 a pound. Beef Rib there is $23 a pound and $3.50 for one Hot Gut Sausage Link.
Koldus131
AG
nm
tsuag10
AG
Also, I forgot to add a comment about the cost yesterday.

My plate that was in that picture from Interstellar was $43 and I had water to drink, but I did get a dessert. Crazy how expensive things are. Not saying it's unreasonable, it's just expensive now.

BohunkAg
AG
schmendeler said:

I'm willing to bet that's $16 for 1/2 pound

Oops
tsuag10
AG
Beef Cheeks from LeRoy & Lewis were on point again today.

AgsWin2011
AG
tsuag10 said:

Beef Cheeks from LeRoy & Lewis were on point again today.

I hate you
tsuag10
AG
I've already decided that I'm going to try my hand at the beef cheeks at home. Although my standards are so high now, I just don't know how I will be able meet my own expectations.
agcrock2005
AG
tsuag10 said:

I've already decided that I'm going to try my hand at the beef cheeks at home. Although my standards are so high now, I just don't know how I will be able meet my own expectations.
Well Beef Cheeks buddy has a video on how to do it. Might start there.
tsuag10
AG
This is a pretty good one too….

agcrock2005
AG
Speaking of Beef Cheeks...Beef Cheeks, L&L have any plans for brick and mortar? Saw L&L YouTube video from yesterday showing how big of a PITA it is to go from commissary to truck every day. Seems with all the publicity from TM and Chud that there would be plenty of folks out there willing to invest.
Beef Cheek
AG
I'll give y'all the inside scoop…

Expect there to be a LeRoy & Lewis brick & mortar by the end of this year.

Nothing is 100% official yet, but there is a building on Emerald Forest Dr that I think would make a perfect fit.
La Fours
AG
There's an Emerald Forest Drive in College Station!

Clayton has convinced Evan and Sawyer to move to the motherland.

Beef Cheek
AG
The greatest gift I could give
agcrock2005
AG
La Fours said:

There's an Emerald Forest Drive in College Station!

Clayton has convinced Evan and Sawyer to move to the motherland.
That would be awesome. Seems like a pretty easy market (not too much competition) if you can figure out how to keep costs low enough for college kids.
La Fours
AG
I think there are enough of us "olds" locally to keep a place like that open. Then you add in the football and baseball weekends that hopefully makes the difference between breaking even and being quite profitable. But I could be way off on that. I know literally nothing about owning or running a restaurant. Much less a bbq one.

And I just realized we don't have a street named Emerald Forest Dr. in CS. The street I was thinking of is Emerald Pkwy.
TequilaMockingbird
Good news for Midland-Odessa folks. Brantley Creek BBQ will be opening their brick and mortar nlocation in the next couple of months in Odessa. I recently checked out their food trailer location and it was definitely legit.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/brantley-creek-bbq-odessa-review/
Beef Cheek
AG
Beef Cheek said:

The greatest gift I could give

I'm sorry this was misleading. I was several lone stars deep, celebrating Texas Independence Day. But do have dreams/plans of smoking meats in Aggieland someday
wadd96
AG
Say when!!!!
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
La Fours
AG
Lol. I knew it was joke.
CDub06
AG
It fooled me... I'm already in line.
schmellba99
AG
Koldus131 said:

I'll be in Aggie Park in May. This is just an elite lineup.

When did Uncle Lucius get back together?
wadd96
AG
Last couple of months.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
WestTexAG
AG
When keep the wolves away went platinum, they got highly motivated to get back together. Yellowstone has been an insane boost to multiple artists.

RED AG 98
AG
Thanks for sharing. Had no idea on the backstory there and super cool that he finally got (rightfully!) paid.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.