Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

444,251 Views | 3170 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Matsui
AggieFabricator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hit them on Tuesday's for pork steaks, no complaints on those. One of the few spots in the state running gravity fed charcoal smokers. Pretty neat they made the top 50 twice with it.
AggieFabricator
Beef Cheek said:

The investigation included Black's Barbecue Inc., Kent Black's Lockhart Barbecue Inc. and New Braunfels Barbecue LLC.

"Food service industry employers must know that tips are the property of tipped employees who earn them, plain and simple," said Wage and Hour Division District Director Nicole Sellers. "Workers and their families depend on their rightfully earned wages and benefits. If you take from them, you take from their families. The Wage and Hour Division is committed to safeguarding the rights of all essential food service workers."

Terry Black's has responded.
BurnetAggie99
Lol
agcrock2005
AG
Wow! No amicable reunions coming up any time soon...
wadd96
AG
Savage AF
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Peter Klaven
AG
If you need any volunteer help, send me a PM.

I'm a Celina resident who can't afford that type of price tag!
Buzzy
tsuag10 said:

Baker Boys in Gonzalez. Not Top 10 quality but it I'm ok with them in the Top 50. Solid BBQ and basically no wait.

Is there something they do to their links that makes them turn out like that? I'm sure it tastes fine but it is not visually appealing. That link looks like something my dog would leave in the backyard.
Wild West Pimp Style
Roger That
AG
Buzzy said:

tsuag10 said:

Baker Boys in Gonzalez. Not Top 10 quality but it I'm ok with them in the Top 50. Solid BBQ and basically no wait.

Is there something they do to their links that makes them turn out like that? I'm sure it tastes fine but it is not visually appealing. That link looks like something my dog would leave in the backyard.

That's a peyronie sausage
wadd96
AG
I wish I could offer. I'm helping on a crew myself.
BSD
AG
Beef Cheek said:

I do think Jonny sucks and if that somehow got back to him, I doubt he would be surprised. He's an ******* that talks a lot **** about a lot of people.

I've noticed on IG that he seems to be a *****. He talks a lot of **** about Franklin. I don't know the whole story but I doubt he'd have a #1 spot without Franklin's influence.
agcrock2005
AG
I think 407 BBQ is over rated and overpriced, but this is just stupid marketing on their part showing a snake in their restaurant and commenting on how he just probably ate a mouse. Wow, makes me want to drive there right now for lunch!

407 BBQ Facebook

tsuag10
AG
The shape of the link is just because they stuffed it into a short link and cooked it hanging with the bend. The color is probably just because they kept it on the smoker for a little too long. The flavor of the sausage was really good actually but it had a very heavy smoke.
LawHall88
AG
Beef Cheek said:

The investigation included Black's Barbecue Inc., Kent Black's Lockhart Barbecue Inc. and New Braunfels Barbecue LLC.

"Food service industry employers must know that tips are the property of tipped employees who earn them, plain and simple," said Wage and Hour Division District Director Nicole Sellers. "Workers and their families depend on their rightfully earned wages and benefits. If you take from them, you take from their families. The Wage and Hour Division is committed to safeguarding the rights of all essential food service workers."
Jock 07
AG
Haven't been in probably well over a decade now but what time do you need to show up at Snow's nowadays?
wadd96
AG
Between 5-6am.
Latrobe
AG
Was waiting for the first cool/low humidity Saturday morning to grab a low number and enjoy a book while I waited.

Totally worth it

Martin Cash
AG
LawHall88 said:

Beef Cheek said:

Shouldn't have fired his CPA --- Terry.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Had Briscuits this AM. Very good, very dense, very filling. Probably a 1/4lb of brisket smothered with (possibly smoked) strawberry jam sandwiched between a biscuit.

The good: the meat (smoked by former cook at Stiles Switch, Freedmans), jelly, and biscuit were all freaking delicious. Best jelly I've ever had. Biscuit was up there as well.

The bad: this may be a one and done experience. I feel like if everything were deconstructed I would definitely come back. If they had a "country breakfast plate" with brisket, eggs, biscuit, and hash browns Briscuits would be a top breakfast destination in town.

The ugly: I have jelly everywhere! It was a handheld mess.
tsuag10
AG
What is the best BBQ in Houston (preferably something in or north of downtown) that will be open this evening for dinner?

I've got a co-worker flying in this afternoon.
DiskoTroop
tsuag10 said:

What is the best BBQ in Houston (preferably something in or north of downtown) that will be open this evening for dinner?

Best is subjective but I'd say try Pinkerton's. It'll be damn good and for a non-Texan, it'll be world class enough.
htxag09
AG
TheFunnierPhideaux said:

tsuag10 said:

Best is subjective but I'd say try Pinkerton's. It'll be damn good and for a non-Texan, it'll be world class enough.
Pinkerton's isn't open on Monday.

For dinner, I'd probably stick to Pit Room, South West of downtown, though.
jh0400
AG
tsuag10 said:

For dinner, Pit Room is your best bet. You could also switch it up and get carnitas or brisket enchiladas at Candente.
tsuag10
AG
Pit room sounds like the spot. I forgot about them. I don't live in Houston and I had not been there in a good while. Thanks
CyAg
AG
Killian's BBQ is coming to Cypress, he's in the location previously occupied by Bull & Burro. Not sure of the opening date but signage is already up!

Also Nomad Barbeque has or is moving to the old Shack location on Cypress Rosehill. I remember several here speaking well of Reveille Barbeque off 249, this is James MacFarland.

I'm pretty dammed excited about these happenings!
htxag09
AG
Maybe I'm wrong. But I feel like killens is expanding really fast. Seems like he went from two locations (both in Pearland) to 10 in the last couple years. And spread out all over houston.
schmendeler
AG
It is fast, but the one in Cypress was previously a barbecue place already so I'm guessing minimum effort to get it rolling
htxag09
AG
My point was more around the chefs, pitmasters, etc. He went from two restaurants where he lived and he could be at every day, to relying on others. And, with the number he's opened, it's possible he's relying on others he hasn't worked with for very long....
schmendeler
AG
Yeah i agree. Definitely playing it a little risky
TXAG 05
AG
tsuag10 said:

Pit room sounds like the spot. I forgot about them. I don't live in Houston and I had not been there in a good while. Thanks

Can't go wrong at Pit Room. Especially with the patio and this weather.
txag2008
AG
What type of wait is to be expected at 11-11:30 @ Louie Mueller (Taylor) on a wednesday?
TejasAg
AG
I've never been on a weekday, but I wouldn't think there would be much of one at that time. Maybe 10 deep if that. I've been on Saturdays at 10:50 and had just a few people in front of me.
wadd96
AG
Last couple times I've been there during lunch, the wait was 20 to 30 minutes. They moved the line along smartly.
schmendeler
AG
Costco by Willowbrook in Houston with a screaming deal on a Kamado Joe Classic II. Looks like it's the last one.
Buzzy
That color though....
Wild West Pimp Style
schmendeler
AG
What's wrong with red?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.