Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

439,353 Views | 3153 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by DiskoTroop
DaveHimself
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree, thanks for sharing. I got goosebumps when he started playing the song after hearing his story. Very cool!
WestTexAG
AG
We got to watch Kevin Galloway in a small venue on top of the mountain at steamboat musicfest this year. He was without a doubt the most talented dude there and I expect them to really break out and probably win Grammys now that they've been noticed.
Beef Cheek
AG
Had a great lunch at Pustka's today, screwed up and didn't get a picture of the excellent pork ribs
Koldus131
AG
It all looks really great but that sausage looks exceptional
agcrock2005
AG
Koldus131 said:

Rumor is wadd taught him how to make that when he was helping him open up his truck a few years ago.
La Fours
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Koldus131 said:

Rumor is wadd taught him how to make that when he was helping him open up his truck a few years ago.

wadd96
AG
Bite me.

I can never match Dustin when it comes to handling sausage!
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
RED AG 98
AG
Will be killing time all day tomorrow in the Plano / Richardson / Murphy area -- way north of my normal South and Central TX stomping grounds . Have not done any of the area spots. Was thinking of just hitting Cattleack -- any other recommendations or consensus on the best place in the area?
Koldus131
AG
Well I hate to tell you but Cattleack is closed tomorrow. Your best bet in that area is Hutchins. If you want to expand your area, best options are Hurtado in Arlington or Zavala's in Grand Prairie. You mentioned being from central TX so I assume you've been to Terry Black's but they do have a location in Deep Ellum.
wadd96
AG
It's a drive, but I'll give a nod to Hurtados...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
RED AG 98
AG
Well shoot big fail there on my part. Thanks for the heads up. Yeah been to Terry Blacks a number of times.
RED AG 98
AG
Ok this looks like a winner. Love me some Tex Mex BBQ
AgsWin2011
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Ok this looks like a winner. Love me some Tex Mex BBQ

I need to try this place. If it's similar to Valentina's I'll be happy.
fav13andac1)c
AG
You could try Intrinsic. They're not Cattleack but they have good beer and good BBQ.
BurnetAggie99
Always hit up Willie Meshack's BBQ
RED AG 98
AG
Ended up poking around town close to Intrinsic so we gave it a shot. Really cool place on the square in Garland, in a neat, old building with a great vibe. Beer selections were very good. Outdoor seating was nice and stage could be lots of fun but no one was playing Saturday noon.

Food was good but not anything I would consider special. Moist brisket was average but definitely a bit on the dry side. The jalapeño sausage had good taste but no snap at all, like maybe it was put in plastic wrap after it was pulled off. The pork ribs were nice and definitely my favorite bites. Forgot to get pictures of the jalapeño cream corn and green beans but both were pretty good as well.

DaveHimself
AG
Goldees. Fantastic all around. Only disappointment is they stopped serving beef ribs b/c I've heard nothing but stellar reviews.

Bmac04
AG
Nice plate at Zavalas today
Mathguy64
AG
I'm getting the meat sweats just looking at that.
schmendeler
AG
A lovely rib at Corkscrew today
fav13andac1)c
AG
Glad you tried it and had a good time. Definitely concur that the bbq is good, not great. But their setup is so cool it's hard to not have a great time there.
RED AG 98
AG
Super cool spot with tons of potential for sure.
Wheatables02
AG
Driving from Tyler to Sea World San Antonio area tomorrow. Anything worth while along the way out there in SA?
BurnetAggie99
Wheatables02 said:

Driving from Tyler to Sea World San Antonio area tomorrow. Anything worth while along the way out there in SA?

Burnt Bean, 2M, Reece Brothers BBQ - Be my suggestions for SA Area. Pollos Asados Los Nortenos for wood smoked Pollo Asados
Wheatables02
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Wheatables02 said:

Burnt Bean, 2M, Reece Brothers BBQ - Be my suggestions for SA Area. Pollos Asados Los Nortenos for wood smoked Pollo Asados

Any suggestions closer to NW San Antonio and sea world?
Saxsoon
AG
Had a fantastic meal with my family from out of town at Hutchins last night. The turkey and brisket was on point. We did the family pack that got 3 pints of sides and one of them
Was the okra.

Gave us a whole damn tray of okra. My mom and uncle grew up on fried okra and it reminds them of their grandmother. They loved the meats and were gushing but the fried okra was as good as they ever had it
BurnetAggie99
Wheatables02 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Wheatables02 said:

Any suggestions closer to NW San Antonio and sea world?

Not really. The ones I listed are pretty much some of the best in SA area. I've never been to any BBQ places around Seaworld.

Maybe Bobeqs I heard some good things about Bobegs BBQ but haven't been. There's a Smokey MO's BBQ which is a local Austin place that has branched out and be on par with like a Rudy's.

There's a HEB True Texas BBQ out that way. Never ate at that one by Seaworld so don't know how it stacks up.

There's a few places in Helotes like B-Daddy but I've only driven past them and never tried them on way to Floores.
tsuag10
AG
Burnt Bean in Seguin with the whole fam again today. Didn't get a picture of the plates, but got a few brisket action shots.

Everything was excellent.

aggie2812-2
AG
Crazy story but I got one of the owners Mill Scale that a friend got from him. I went there this week to pick up and can't believe how lucky I got. Thing only used a few times. Also, they might be the best BBQ in Texas.
tsuag10
AG
Hutchins BBQ in Frisco. First time for me here.
Everything was really good.

schmendeler
AG
Never seen grocery store deli-style bar code stickers before
DatTallArchitect
AG
Hutchins has been doing that for years. I still need to visit the Frisco location
schmendeler
AG
It's smart, and probably gives some "reassurance" to folks who might want to claim they were shorted.
tsuag10
AG
One thing about Hutchins that I do appreciate is that it doesn't have the "hipster", "craft bbq" feel that some of the newer joints have. Not that the newer places don't have amazing bbq, but it's sort of nice to go to a no-frills traditional bbq restaurant sometimes.
La Fours
AG
I think coopers here in College Station does that too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.